Intro: Mike, a new LX470 Owner! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone! Been lurking here for a couple months during my search for an LX or LC. Finally, one popped up on Craigslist I couldn't resist: A 2000 Black LX470 with 103k miles. I paid 6800 and am putting about 1500 into it.

She was pretty dirty so the first thing I did was get a full interior and exterior detail and some weathertech mats. It also has a stuck parking brake, broken power window switch, and needs the 90k service still. But other than that, it's in excellent cosmetic shape- I think I got a really good deal! It's for the wife, so lame stock driveway pics to follow :)

20160427_170901.jpg
20160427_170822.jpg
20160427_170851.jpg

Hi everyone! Been lurking here for a couple months during my search for an LX or LC. Finally, one popped up on Craigslist I couldn't resist: A 2000 Black LX470 with 103k miles. I paid 6800 and am putting about 1500 into it.

She was pretty dirty so the first thing I did was get a full interior and exterior detail and some weathertech mats. It also has a stuck parking brake, broken power window switch, and needs the 90k service still. But other than that, it's in excellent cosmetic shape- I think I got a really good deal! It's for the wife, so lame stock driveway pics to follow :)

View attachment 1249759 View attachment 1249761 View attachment 1249762
Stole it! Congrats.

Great find!!

Sweet god man, I honestly think you may have actually stolen it......

Wow. I think you should pay us so you don't have to feel so bad for how little you paid. Good for you though!

lol thanks guys. The seller originally wanted 6500, so I had to increase my offer to 6800 and come back with a cashier's check 30 minutes later to make sure I got it. Good thing my bank had a branch nearby.

This forums has been a great resource for *all* of my questions- thanks so much!

The AZ thing is pretty big- though the rust underneath mine isn't bad at all for an Illinois truck. I suppose got the better "deal", but I would have been very happy with his truck too.

I forgot one other thing: mine has a VHS VCR in the real console where the cupholder would normally be. The replacement cupholder comes tomorrow- I am just hoping there isn't additional mounting hardware needed to swap it out. I will take a pic before it's removed :)

:popcorn:

Curious to hear what everyone thinks of the under carriage

lol thanks guys. The seller originally wanted 6500, so I had to increase my offer to 6800 and come back with a cashier's check 30 minutes later to make sure I got it. Good thing my bank had a branch nearby.

This forums has been a great resource for *all* of my questions- thanks so much!

Another example of you got to move quickly when a good deal appears in the market. I think you got a great deal here!

Here are 4 better pics of undercarriage. How would you treat it, if you'd treat it at all? I want to keep this for 10+ years. Every single local LX and LC here looked very similar- one of the many drawbacks of living in the midwest.

20160429_084922.jpg

20160429_084929.jpg

20160429_084941.jpg

20160429_084955.jpg

That rust is about where mine is at. At times it can be a pain but it's mostly not an issue. I do keep a jar of busted bolts on my workbench so that's a pretty common issue. Need to be familiar with drilling out broken bolts and tapping new threads.

I have been slowly treating my rust, replacing bolts and brackets as needed. Before I installed my sliders recently, I scrubbed / chipped off the rust on the frame rails and welds on the frame, sprayed them with VHT Rust Converter and then followed that with some flat black frame paint. Turned out really nice and I think it should stay rust free for many years to come.

While the under carriage rust can be annoying it's not something you have to look at every day. but where there is rust on the under side there will most likely be rust starting on the body. Make sure you look at all the rust prone areas on the body (tail gate top near the lights, tail gate bottom near the handle, windshield corners, rocker panels, etc...). Body rust is far more concerning to me than under carriage rust for the simple fact that under carriage rust components can be swapped out much easier than body panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom