1962 FJ40 Front Window Vent (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
fj40bugcatcher.dyndns.org
I had an issue with my front vent that is mounted in the bottom of the windshield. The rubber cracked and fell apart in less than a year. Any suggestions for finding a better part replacement? Could it be easier to fabricate a piano hinge or something similar? It was either bought at SOR or CCOT.

Well, remember rubber is only as good as the materials used in manufacture. I have heard SOR has had bad results with this particular piece. Perhaps we could make a template and just buy better material and make our own. It should be simple as it is flat with only a few holes.

Well, remember rubber is only as good as the materials used in manufacture. I have heard SOR has had bad results with this particular piece. Perhaps we could make a template and just buy better material and make our own. It should be simple as it is flat with only a few holes.

Very true, I dealt with the rubber manufactures several years ago. I think it wouldn't be too hard. Part of the old piece had a raised section, I'm guessing to try and create a better seal. I just wanted to get an idea on this part and see what others experienced.

I bought the same piece a few years ago. I have not installed it yet. It seems still ok, but then again it has not been in UV , weather ,etc... I believe that is where it will fail quickly.

Robert

I have heard/read the same about the SOR rubber. I used my old one as a template with some generic rubber I bought somewhere (twenty years ago, don't remember) for the blue 45lwb. Had my daughter use a notebook paper hole punch to make the holes in it.

It is still on the truck, intact, today.

FWIW, it is a bit thicker than stock. Maybe a full 1/16th thick. I have an NOS one to get a thickness measurement if you want.

Best

Mark

Robert

I have heard/read the same about the SOR rubber. I used my old one as a template with some generic rubber I bought somewhere (twenty years ago, don't remember) for the blue 45lwb. Had my daughter use a notebook paper hole punch to make the holes in it.

It is still on the truck, intact, today.

FWIW, it is a bit thicker than stock. Maybe a full 1/16th thick. I have an NOS one to get a thickness measurement if you want.

Best

Mark

Thanks Mark. I will be pulling it all off soon and it will be easy enough to measure. Since all the material sits under both pieces of the vent, the thickness a big issue unless you go way too thick. That might make opening a little harder.

1. We should be having this discussion in the FJ25 forum, as this is really only relevant to those of us with with early rigs.

2. My thought on the rubber thickness is that it's a double-edged sword. The thicker rubber has certainly proved to be more durable, BUT...

It doesn't seal very well against the rain. Now mind you I won't drive the swb (which has an NOS vent in it) to confirm this, but my gut is that the thinner rubber will conform to the windshield better, and make a better seal against the rain.

If you don't plan on dealing with a lot of rain, it doesn't matter. Mine bugs me enough that I'm considering painting a 66fj45 windshield frame to match and swapping it on in the winter-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom