79 Fj40 Spindle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello I am doing a knuckle rebuild on my 79 Fj40, i just noticed that the Brass bushing on the spindle is loose and spinning in the spindle it has quite a bit of play (considering it's supposed to be tight). My question is do i need to replace the spindle as well as the bushing or just the bushing? i can measure the inside diameter of my spindle where the bushing goes to see if it is worn, but I'm not sure what that measure meant should be.

The bushing doesn't look all scarred up from spinning and the spindle shows a little bit of wear but not a ton. Thats why I'm confused with how much slop there is, i figured i would see a lot of wear marks on the bushing.

If someone could give me that measurement for the inside of the spindle where the bushing goes or tell me where to find it that would be helpful, Thank you!

The bushing is soft metal and it's unlikely that it wore away the inside of the spindle.
This is a good article on how to replace it:
Remove a Spindle Bushing

heres some pictures of the spindle and bushing i'm starting to think that the bushing is all i need to replace. but in one of the picture you can see that the spindle is worn on the other end. probably from the bushing being to worn and allowing the spindle to be out of place at a funny angle.

for some reason it doesn't like my photo's i will have to try get some pictures posted

Thanks everyone for your help, i ordered a new bushing and i have installed it and got my knuckle back together. now onto new problems haha. now my cruiser won't start and idle so i just posted a new thread. thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom