ODOMETER HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jestlurnin

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok boys I'd like to see how many miles (it'll actually be in kilometers as its a NZ vehicle) I've driven in the 75' FJ45 RHD. Currently can't due to only the 1/10 dial working on the odometer. The speedometer bounces something fierce during driving as well.

The speedo cable to the rear of the instrument cluster had a plastic clip that easily came off but the flat metal cable that I assume spins to show MPH (KPH) that is inside the plastic cable and inserts into the cluster won't budge.

Any advice on a complete disconnect would be very much appreciated!

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434288737.217572.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434288761.262573.jpg

If you've removed the plastic clip, you should be able to wiggle the speedo cable, where it inserts into the cluster, until it comes out... Patience and perseverance...

But, are you sure you've unclipped the plastic retainer clip? The plastic clip has a 'tab' that 'pops' into a 'slot'. You have to be sure the 'tab' has been 'relieved' from the 'slot'... Or the cable will not come out of the back of the cluster.

Rudi (@bj40green ) put together an excellent thread (with a lot of embedded links) on gauges, cluster, speedos, etc. here: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/clusters-gauges-speedo-odo-meters.544543/

I'm not sure if it answers your question, but you should find it helpful, once you have the cluster removed.

Pngunme thanks for the reply. This picture shows the metal tab a bit better that inserts into the back of the cluster. Do I just work that metal tab until she comes loose? I think a pair of needle nose and a soft touch would prob get it if that's all it needs.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1434293182.544209.jpg

The metal tab is the actual speedo cable, that spins, as you drive... and spins your speedo/odometer.

The part of the cable that you can't see (inside the cluster) looks just like the part you can see, just has a kind of rounded end. In other words, nothing to hold it in place... The plastic clip does the actual holding.

So, your's is stuck or rusted in place... I would squirt a little penetrating oil in there and let it sit for a bit, then wrap a cloth around it and use a pair of the broadest pliers you can fit in there and gently try to work it loose. Patience, penetrating oil and gentle persuasion and it'll come out.

You may need to replace the speedo cable, but you should be able to judge for yourself, once it's out.

Good luck.

Thanks for this thread. A follow on question - the plastic retainer broke on my cable. Any chance I can just replace the retainer clip or do I have to replace entire cable? I I can replace retainer clip, where do you find such a thing?

I don't believe you can simply replace the plastic retaining clip... I could be wrong...

PM @beno ... he will know and he can sell you the oem cable, if necessary.

After you get it loose, pull the cable from the housing, clean it, and lube with white grease. a sticky cable is likely why the needle is bouncing.

There is a thread on rebuilding the speedo... but something it sticking/broken in the odometer, disassemble it and clean and it should work again.

re clip, I'd repair it with some plastic and a heat gun to melt it together "plastic welding"

You can pull the metal drive cable completely out of the sheath / cover which would allow you to work on unsticking the drive cable from the speedo out of the truck. Might make things easier

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom