2016 URJ200 SERIES LAND CRUISER/LX570 UPDATE-REFRESH (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

when i get in the truck, my phone likes to connect via blue tooth, but, the sound quality of playing music that way absolutely sucks! It's amateur. If i have my phone plugged in through the USB cable, the sound is amazing, but you might as well flip a coin when you get back into the truck if it will reconnect or if it will say audio system is off... what is up with that?!!

Bluetooth audio sucks. I don't think that is unique to Toyota's head unit.

The head unit would be sooo much more useful if it could mirror one's iPhone...

A number of manufacturers are going in that direction, supporting both Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto (GM, BMW, VW, etc.). Unfortunately, Toyota is going it alone. I don't think Toyota has a chance of building a similarly capable system -- Apple and Google have a lot more experience and skill at building user interfaces.

Many of the manufacturers don't want to go with CarPlay or Android Auto because of the inroads that gives those companies into their customers. That is, if you are running CarPlay or Android Auto, then Apple or Google is gathering a huge amount of data about how, when, and where you drive. That data has value. The automakers prefer to keep their data to themselves.

Your kids don't already carry devices in their backpack? They can't figure out how to plugin a USB cord? That movie that they were watching on their iPad at home, before you left, now they want to watch on the ride. But you think it would be more convenient to go look for the DVD of that movie (if you even have it), carry it with you to the car, insert it into the dash, than it would be for the kid to just carry their iPad with them to the car?

they are 4, 6, and 8 so no, we don't let them.... but even if they did, what about their friends.... not trying to create issue out of this, just saying that it is not that bad for people who use this vehicle as a capable family hauler....

I test drove the 2016 today. Unfortunately, I wasn't in awe. Im not sure if it was the 8 speed tranny but it felt less responsive than my previous 09 LC. I liked the nose but not that much better than the 2013 upgrade, or all that much more than the original 200. The updated dash and center console were nice but it doesn't match the rest of the interior. You have low quality plastic then leather, it didn't seem to flow. I do like how toyota went away from the chrome in the interior, but it still seemed very busy. The leather seat seemed softer, and I'm interested to see if the 2013 upgrades are the same.

The sticker was 87K, and IMO I don't see that much difference between the 2013-2015s models. I may have to look for a lonely 2014 still sitting on some dealers lot, and grab it while I wait for the 300.

they are 4, 6, and 8 so no, we don't let them.... but even if they did, what about their friends.... not trying to create issue out of this, just saying that it is not that bad for people who use this vehicle as a capable family hauler....

Fair enough.

A number of manufacturers are going in that direction, supporting both Apple CarPlay and Google Android Auto (GM, BMW, VW, etc.). Unfortunately, Toyota is going it alone. I don't think Toyota has a chance of building a similarly capable system -- Apple and Google have a lot more experience and skill at building user interfaces.

Many of the manufacturers don't want to go with CarPlay or Android Auto because of the inroads that gives those companies into their customers. That is, if you are running CarPlay or Android Auto, then Apple or Google is gathering a huge amount of data about how, when, and where you drive. That data has value. The automakers prefer to keep their data to themselves.

Great point however, I also think Toyota is engineering there own entertainment platform to integrate safety (Toyota takes It's GPS engineering to a whole new level of not distracting the driver). With our 2003 100 series, they realized the distraction Technology would become risky (by deterring your eyes from the road) and, designed the UI and OS to maximize the safety of the vehicle. Toyota Integrated there GPS to ensure that a address could only be plugged in when the car is stationary (even if passengers want to plug it in too). You also can't have messages from radio stations be displayed while your car is in motion.

It's the same story with Lexus. In a brand new Lexus RX with the GPS option with the the fighter pilot like mouse (sorry I'm blanking on the name) you can't plug in a destination unless the car is stationary. (on the other hand, with the first generation, second generation, and precursor to BMW's iDrive system (in it's prehistoric touchscreen form) lets you plug in/modify your GPS destination any time you want:steer:). We had this issue in our loaner vehicle (2013 Lexus RX350) while the Highlander was in the shop :D.

Finally with our 2013 Toyota Highlander, when you plug in your iPod, the OS responds slowly and, is hard to control your music. Specifically, scrolling (song to song artist to artist etc) takes forever. I have a good feeling this is because Toyota does not want people fiddling with their music while driving! :)

Back on topic, I wonder how the Infotainment system will hold out. I'm curious of the screen resolution of the back headrest monitors.

Google and Apple have also engineered Car Play and Android Auto to reduce distraction. They don't make every app available on your phone available in Car Play or Android Auto.

As for speed of response, a slow responding infotainment system does NOT reduce distraction -- it increases distraction.

I love my Land Cruiser, but when it comes to infotainment systems and UI design, Toyota can't hold a candle to Apple or Google.

Great point however, I also think Toyota is engineering there own entertainment platform to integrate safety (Toyota takes It's GPS engineering to a whole new level of not distracting the driver). With our 2003 100 series, they realized the distraction Technology would become risky (by deterring your eyes from the road) and, designed the UI and OS to maximize the safety of the vehicle. Toyota Integrated there GPS to ensure that a address could only be plugged in when the car is stationary (even if passengers want to plug it in too). You also can't have messages from radio stations be displayed while your car is in motion.

I come to this website to talk LC/LX and be away from my kids. Can we get back to LC/LX discussion?

My local dealer is getting his first LX today. I am going to test drive it tomorrow, as I heard really good things abou the HUD

Also dealer confirmed LX has roof rack, it is just a more streamlined version, with no cross bars.

Cool box is not standard. $200 option
Ok not to make you mad but I will let you LOOK at it! That is NOT a roof rack

Ran across a new video on youtube, its a detailed walk through video on a New 2016 land cruise. Thought you guys might like to watch.
This is the first US review I have seen.

2016 Toyota Land Cruiser - Ultimate In-Depth Look…:

Nice video, thanks for posting that up. Those rear seat screens are a turn off for me. I can see the value when you have kids, but mine are grown and I would have no use for them. I have never used the rear video system in my 100. I guess if I do eventually make the jump to a 200, it would be a 2013-2015 model

I'm not a fan of them either. I do like the idea of the 8 speed transmission - the Land Cruiser needs all the help it can get in terms of fuel economy. I'm getting about 13.5 mpg.

Nice video, thanks for posting that up. Those rear seat screens are a turn off for me. I can see the value when you have kids, but mine are grown and I would have no use for them. I have never used the rear video system in my 100. I guess if I do eventually make the jump to a 200, it would be a 2013-2015 model

I don't even like the factory ceiling mounted screen in my '14, but you're right it's better than the '16. I even have the override so the front screen can be used while in motion but still have never used either of the screens...

I don't even like the factory ceiling mounted screen in my '14, but you're right it's better than the '16. I even have the override so the front screen can be used while in motion but still have never used either of the screens...

Curious what over-ride you installed for use of the front screen.

? :)

The 8 speed, and several of the new tech options like that birds eye view camera system, all sound great to me.
This video was the first time i have seen that camera system in action. Looks like it would be very handy, resolution looks great.

I take back what I said. I used the DVD player once to play the Foo Fighters Live at Wembley Stadium (they have yet to release it as an album) while on a road trip...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom