The Coleman Thread (13 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Electrolysis is best for a complete case. Next best is paint stripper, followed by a phosphate treatment like rust mort or ospho. Then prime/paint.

Last edited:
Messed around with the $15 425. I've cleaned the tank with carb cleaner removing the old fuel gunk around the pump and fuel cap. The pump and check valve work. I've been able to pressurize the tank and some old nasty fuel residue has come out. The fuel cap was stuck. I tried a couple of tools, pliers and some plumbers tool for gripping pipes. Neither would loosen the cap and I did not want to scar the cap, so I brushed the cap with a bit of heat. That helped. I pulled the fuel cap, cleaned the area with carb cleaner and added some white gas. I pressurized the tank only to find that the fuel cap gasket now needs replacing. Under pressure fuel leaks from a small hole in the fuel cap. Under pressure a good clean fuel stream comes from the long pipe. I did this testing off the stove. The fuel stream will spray about 3-4 feet.

I'm going to wait until I've replaced the fuel cap gasket before firing this thing up. I once had the fuel cap gasket blow out on a lit Svea stove. It was exciting :grinpimp: and I don't need that kind of excitement with 2-3x the amount of fuel the Svea held.

FIRE IT UP!!!

after you fix the cap gasket, of course...

Go to walmart and get one of the gold replacement caps.

Light the stove

Replace the older seal when you have time.
Keep replacement cap for the next stove/lantern you buy..

Lather, rinse, repeat..

IMGP3396.JPG
IMGP3397.JPG
IMGP3398.JPG
IMGP3399.JPG
IMGP3401.JPG

IMGP3406.JPG
IMGP3407.JPG

difference in size between the 425 and 413...

Last edited:
IMGP3404.JPG
IMGP3409.JPG

the skillet wont fit on the 425...but on Drews old OD 413 OTOH...and the 426; well I guess I needed to see it all together to really appreciate the space...

Last edited:
IMGP3413.JPG
IMGP3417.JPG
IMGP3419.JPG
IMGP3425.JPG
IMGP3427.JPG

I only futzed with Cams old 413 for a second or two; I'm going to give it some more going over before firing it up....maybe tomorrow.

Last edited:
IMGP3420.JPG

the 220 has brand new mantles, but it works great- still need to reassemble that old 228...

Last edited:
Special Thanks to Cam and Drew for the new additions...it all started with that old 400a when I was 14. it's made our coffee at the very least on many outings since. the 425 and 220 I got off a CL ad when I decided to go white gas over propane for the family food cooking stove and light. then I decided I needed a 413 at least and the 426 was taunting me for long enough for me to realize I had to snatch it up too. I might have to let the 425 go...NAWt:cheers::hillbilly:

That's a nice 3 burner. Don't let the diamond cut outs get away.

I hope you enjoy the "mutt" 413.

Mutts are the best dogs. That thing fired right up like it was already warm! It's going to the go to standard for us. Thank You! unless we're doing pancakes- that's when the 426 comes out!; I had no idea just how cool it was till it was light up last night...

Fired it up after filching a fuel cap from a lantern.

DSCN6242A.JPG

The stove's knob is non-OEM :hillbilly:.

DSCN6233A.JPG

Primary burner puts out some flame :lol:. I let it burn for 5-10 minutes and the flame continued to flare up like this. The flame never reached a state of a nice low blue condition.

DSCN6277.JPG

Both burners work.

DSCN6275.JPG

after it warms up a bit, turn the choke down. the little bent wire that is pointing up...might help to lean it out a bit. otherwise, prolly some gunk in the pick-up tube; Drew is the real doctor tho...

So Jim... When the flame is yellow like that it's running rich. Too much fuel. When it all cools off, take the manifold and run pipe cleaners or something through there to get the spider webs out. Then there will be enough air, to burn the fuel in the hot blue flame you need.

And once hot, don't forget to turn the lever down.

electrolysis vs 411A, round 1...

22835335754_22fd199310_z.jpg

Left it in about 24 hours with the charger set at 2A. A few minutes with a wire brush, and
23437532496_4ae5398676_z.jpg

Outer case was pretty good, inner not quite as good
22836546303_b0e763c7e3_z.jpg

The lid didn't do as well so it's getting it's own hot tub treatment tonight, then I'll throw the case back in for round 2.

I'm thinking to do the tank as well, does the check valve need to come out or is it ok? It functions fine so I wan't planning on removing it.

I would remove the check valve for that- but that may just be the paranoia...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom