Honda CT90 spark advancer writeup (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So here we go. I'll see how many posts I can turn this into. :lol:

Here's the points and the backing plate. You don't need to take the points off to take the points backing plate off you just need to take the points lead off.

There are just two screws holding the points backing plate in. The bottom screw you just need to take half way out, the top you take all the way out.

The bolt in the center of it all needs to come out too. It holds the advancer in place. You can take it out now, or after you take the points backing plate off. I put a 14mm wrench on the generator center nut to hold the points "cam" from turning while loosening the bolt.

The little notch that I circled is a timing notch. Right under the gasket by the bolt hole is another notch that you line it up with. I put a red mark on the gasket in the approximate location.

The backing plate screws were almost stripped out as you can see in the pic. Luckily I had an impact screw driver, I wouldn't have gotten them out any other way. I went to the hardware store and bought new stainless steel allen head screws to replace them with. I believe they are 5mm x .8 pitch.
PICT0002a.jpg

Here's what it looks like with the points backing plate off. Since I already took the center bolt out, I pulled the advancer strait off the shaft. It came off very easy.

PICT0006-3.jpg

PICT0007-2.jpg

Here you can see the notch in the back of the collar where it lines up with the pin on the cam.

PICT0009-2.jpg

Here's a pic of the cam pin. There's no way you can put it back together wrong. ;p

PICT0010a.jpg

Here's the two reference points that were on my '70. As long as you make sure they're lined up when it goes back together, you're not going to be 180º out.

PICT0012a.jpg

Pull the "c" clips on the weights. It's best if you have someone help hold those little suckers from spinning when you're trying to take them off. I had Nicholas hold them with an awl.

PICT0013-2.jpg

You have to lift the weights and the shaft up at the same time, otherwise they'll bind and you won't get anything undone.

PICT0014-3.jpg

I left the springs attached so I'd remember which way the springs go.

PICT0015-2.jpg

Off it comes.

PICT0016-3.jpg

Here's the shaft that needs greased. Mine was completely dry. I didn't wipe it at all before I took the picture.

PICT0017-3.jpg

Last edited:
Next step is points backing plate and hook up the wire to the points. I lined up the marks that I showed in the first pic, then static timed it. It was perfect. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom