70 series dependability? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all. I have been interested in the 70 series for about 15 years now, but never fathomed even getting one. now I see they are becoming more readily available in the U.S.
So, my question is what can I expect form this truck? I know its a great off-road vehicle, but how about as a daily driver, or accessional driver and possible for 6-6 hour road trips?

The answer to your question is going to depend on which 70-series truck you are talking about.

Generally, they are more "rugged" than something like a US market 80-series. Leaf springs (front and rear for the trucks importable into the US), more spartan interior, less powerful engine options. I wouldn't call one uncomfortable, but there are certainly compromises. Considering parts availability in the US it's probably not an ideal choice as a daily driver as most parts are not available next day and the trucks available to you are at least 25yrs old which means they will need attention.

Admittedly I'm biased owning a 70 series myself as a recent purchase. There isn't too much to really strand you. The engine is a durable, albeit NA doggy diesel. The drivetrain is bulletproof for a dd. Can't just stop at the autozone to pick up parts on the way home but that's what you get for an import like this. Aftermarket support is limited compared to something like a Jeep, but those are a dime a dozen.

Well, to put it very bluntly, my BJ70 is the most dependable vehicle I have ever owned, and as an old man I have owned plenty. I can jump in it without any prep, and drive across the country. Have probably driven from coast to coast over 20 times. In 27 years, it has never left me stranded -- even when I left the headlights on for 2 hours once, or when a front wheel bearing disintegrated 200 miles from home. That's the positive. As for the downside: very rough ride that will leave you exhausted after 12 hours in the saddle -- not unlike that much time on a horse or camel. As Douglas describe -- leaf springs and rugged ride. Mine did not come with AC, and that makes summer driving , well just plain hot.

Last edited:
Mate You've been waiting for 15 years and if you can wait for 2 more years you should be able to import a good condition 1990 70series one legally , we live in a place that there are many restriction against , but as far as reliability , seen a lot of this back home and just for daily driver you can bet on them , in a state where I lived I have seen a number of 70's right hand drive the Owner say's he imported from Australia , only one I saw a left hand drive don't know how he got it .

Personally is used to own a HJ75 Troop Carrier that I imported from Australia. Off road it was great, lots of torque and very capable with what I gave it. I drove it on a couple of long trips and it was good for that but I wouldn't have planned on using it for a daily driver. Swb 70 I think would be better but I guess it's all personally preference and when people stare at it, it makes it worth every moment.

...via IH8MUD app

The leaf spring 70 series are rugged military pattern light trucks widely used in mining and other industrial operations around the world. They are trucks not SUVs. The coil spring 70 series are SUVs designed to look like military pattern light trucks.

If your daily commute is at least 10 miles for a diesel, traveling not much more than 65 MPH, mostly on 2 lane open roads, then a RHD 70 series will be very reliable in almost any kind of weather. However if your daily drive is high speed city traffic you will be at a serious disadvantage and the RHD will give blind spots that make congested traffic challenging. It's rugged and reliable, but not at all nimble in traffic, unless it's a turbo version, but even then it's marginal. On the plus side, it will survive almost any accident, when any other vehicle would likely be totaled.

I consider mine the best truck I've ever owned, with the highest quality and the lowest maintenance cost of any others I've owned including Broncos, Blazers, Jimmys, Suburbans and IHC Scouts. I wouldn't trade it for anything else I could buy today. They are made to be maintained and run for hundreds of thousands of miles and passed on to the grandkids.

Do you guys do your own repairs? Have you found a Toyota dealer with a gifted mechanic? A shop crew at a mine?

It's hit or miss on that. I've heard some guys who can't find anyone to touch their diesel cruisers, and others who can. I know Charles has a great guy in his area who helped re-build my heater/ac control. I'm fortunate to have a great diesel mechanic near me who almost wants something to break on my truck so he can work on it. Luckily that has not been the case!

I have someone who's 2 doors down from my place of business that specializes in only Toyota/Lexus repairs. He use to run the Lexus and Toyota dealers shops until about 7 years ago when he decided to open his own shop. He is honest and the best mechanic I've seen. He's also a LC enthusiast and is a Mud member. What can I say, I'm lucky.
Oh, he had a diesel 40 himself and knows how to work on them. Woohooo!!!!

Depends on your definition of reliability.....
I've been lucky enough to own four 70 Series Cruisers and with the exception of one minor issue I have never had one let me down. If your idea of reliability is speed and comfort that perhaps this isn't your vehicle. They have a fairly harsh ride and the diesels are not overly quick however I prefer them over anything else.

By "diesel mechanic" do you mean a big rig repair guy?

The only items that I have needed were oil and fuel filters which were readily available locally. Even old / tired diesels seldom leave you stranded.

Im on my 3rd 7* series. I think Ive gone through a 2 alternators (both at 250000klms +) 1 water pump at 230000klms ,1 slave cylinder,1 master cylinder, 1 windscreen washer pump
There has been some diff rebuilds but they were from the PO's lack of maintenance.

Not bad for 11 years and none of them have failed to get me home. All the problems gave me fair warning. Someone once said the Landcruiser has close to Mercedes Benz quality. I think thats wrong ,I think they are better than that.

Ive sat behind the wheel of a 75 series for 13 hours in one day covering 1300 klms ,half of that on a dirt road. Not perfect but acceptable to me.
Having the rIght suspension and well maintained steering and brakes is what makes or breaks them as a DD .

If you want more comforts but a similar body style, the LJ70 Prado is another option: solid axle, coil spring trailing arm suspension. Unfortunately they are underpowered with the 2L engines and the EFI version, the 2LTE, is one to avoid at all costs. The 1KZTE is a much better and more powerful engine, but again, EFI complications. Some markets got the 1KZT mechanical injection engine, so if you really hunt you might find an importable one, but not for a few years yet in the USA (25 year protectionism).

Canadian market BJ70s from 1985 on are fully importable into the USA. Most are restoration candidates now, but not all, especially from the West Coast where we don't salt the roads as much as they do back east.

BBQ do you do any of your own mechanic work?

If not, i would stay away from a 25 year old vehicle.

If yes, then expect old systems from steering joints, springs, worn transmission-transfer, door hinges, and previous owner abortions etc. Many engine types, although only the diesel will pass 50 state emissions if introduced correctly. I understand a 70 series, I do not understand a 200 series as you own and i doubt it will be as serviceable and reliable as a 2010 model until that 2010 is 8-10 years old. The 70 platform is far superior to a 40 series and parts are common everywhere else except the US.

If you can manage a rhd truck many of the canadian jdm imports are available and nice ones like Wayne's SOT can be had.

My personal opinion is that used 70 series in the US market are 30% overpriced so watch your step. Touch and drive one first.

As others have said and I as a buyer would demand, get a 1990+ 1HZ powered truck and wait the year to import.

We are less lucky with our HZJ75. But we also are very hard on this car traveling over 100'000km with around 3.8tons from Canada to Argentina.
Our injection pump and that of many other travelers I know failed in Canada or USA. The Diesel quality there is the WORST you can get (low sulfur) and they skimp with lubrication additives. Said that, be ready to always put lubrication additive or even better, some gallons of Biodiesel on every tank. At least if you get the 1HZ or 1HD-T. The 3B should have no problems.
Our alternator failed too at around 200'000km in Panama, overheating is definitely an issue on this car design if you drive in hotter areas and carry weight or go uphills.
It never really failed on us that we couldn't drive to a safe place, but I have lots of minor issues. On the other hand, it's a 1993 car with 300'000km on the clock. I opened the rear diff last month in Quito to replace the seals and it looked like new! Gearbox still first one and no issues.
But the car drives like a tractor, not very comfortable at all and the H55F is terrible to shift in my opinion (especially 2nd gear), but I guess there are not much better options out there... can't have both worlds...

my 2cents
www.pawsontour.com

All of Toyota's trucks produced in the 80's and 90's were the best there was in dependability at the time. The fact we discuss it today is testament to Toyota's prowess in engineering, design and especially manufacturing, especially during that era, ALL competing manufacturers emulate the Toyota recipe today.
20 or 30 years later, these trucks are still Toyota's. Beat and used every which way, they win the Dependability question in spades, still in use everywhere, and dang good lookin'

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom