Motor Oil? (275,000 miles) (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 100 series with 275,000 miles. I need to start thinking about what kind of motor oil I put into it. I used 5W-30 bought from Costcto (Chevron?). Changed the oil myself every 5000 miles.

Recommendation on motor oil?

I know I need 5W-30, but would you put Mobile 1 in there if you could afford it? Is there a different kind of oil I should use for high mileage?

Thank you,

Phil

consensus is M1 high mileage + M1 extended performance oil filter. lots of guys running it for 10k miles. The 4.7 is supposed to be very easy on oil...

Phil, I've been using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30...Fischer-Tropsch full synthetic made from natural gas. Mobile 1 full synthetic is a great choice as well.

That said, I've got way fewer miles than you.

Thank you! It looks like it will be about $65 for 7 quarts and the oil filter on Amazon.com

10,000 miles!?! Is that really a good idea?

Also, when you say 4.7, you mean my engine, correct? (I realize that will be the stupid question of the day...but better safe than sorry).

Phil, I've been using the Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W30...Fischer-Tropsch full synthetic made from natural gas. Mobile 1 full synthetic is a great choice as well.

That said, I've got way fewer miles than you.

Thank you. I will look into that brand.

you can buy 5 quart jugs for roughly 22 dollars right now.

Thank you! It looks like it will be about $65 for 7 quarts and the oil filter on Amazon.com

10,000 miles!?! Is that really a good idea?

Also, when you say 4.7, you mean my engine, correct? (I realize that will be the stupid question of the day...but better safe than sorry).

There are a few oil nerds on the forum and elsewhere who have had their used motor oil analysed and evaluated, leading to the 10,000 mile change interval with the Mobil 1. If 10k keeps you up at night, change it at 7 or 8k (that's what I do). 5,000 miles is certainly unneeded and wasteful when running Mobil 1.

Kind of like the the recent "Octane" thread. Meet the specs in the owners manual. Pay more for a "premium" product if it makes you feel better. If you're losing a quart between oil changes, you may want to consider one of the "high mileage" oils to try and "condition" the seals.

(Mobil 1 5W-30 has worked just fine for my cars)

Kind of like the the recent "Octane" thread. Meet the specs in the owners manual. Pay more for a "premium" product if it makes you feel better. If your losing a quart between oil changes, you may want to consider one of the "high mileage" oils to try and "condition" the seals.

I think it is amazing, but my car does not seem to lose any oil in between oil changes. And there is no oil on the ground. Should I still go with high mileage Mobil 1 oil anyway, or regular Mobile 1?

I think it is amazing, but my car does not seem to lose any oil in between oil changes. And there is no oil on the ground. Should I still go with high mileage Mobil 1 oil anyway, or regular Mobile 1?

In my opinion, I'd stick with the regular Mobil 1.

Why mess with additives that are going to try to swell and soften seals, when they're working just fine.

consensus is M1 high mileage + M1 extended performance oil filter. lots of guys running it for 10k miles. The 4.7 is supposed to be very easy on oil...
I run this in my 99 with 309k on it and it perfects and I run it for 7500-8000 miles depending on my driving

you can buy 5 quart jugs for roughly 22 dollars right now.

I can not remember the exact price but what @tacoduck said sounds about right. Mobil 1 has rebates every so often, and I stock up when they do that. I buy them at Walmart. 5 quart jugs are great because I can fill them with old oil, then take them to local automotive store to be recycled.

It is not more expensive overall when you can extend the oil change by a few thousand miles instead of every 5K. I personally do mine every ~6 months, ~6-8K miles.

Last edited:
Kind of like the the recent "Octane" thread. Meet the specs in the owners manual. Pay more for a "premium" product if it makes you feel better. If you're losing a quart between oil changes, you may want to consider one of the "high mileage" oils to try and "condition" the seals.

good point... you can buy NAPA generic synthetic and its very similar/same as mobil 1. Mobil 1 just has better marketing and cool labels. Marketing works!

I just paid $67 for 7 quarts of M1 EP at advanced auto. Guess I should of shopped around. I will do a 10k interval. Normally I've been doing 5k interval with M1

I buy Mobil 1 High Mileage 5w30 at walmart for around 23 dollars plus tax per 5 qt container. They no longer stock mobil 1 oil filters so I go to a parts store for them. I have not used this this company yet but plan to try them. www.filtersandwipers.com

On a more simplistic train of thought... You've got 275K on it, and it doesn't leak or burn oil. Is there really a compelling reason to change what you've been doing?

I run Mobil 1, but not because I'm some oil snob. I just want to simplify, so I run the same in my cruiser, my wife's cruiser, the Avalon and the kid's Toyota's. I change it whenever... No oil related issues.

Last edited:
I like Shell Rotella Conventional. 226k on my 4Runner and I run 10w40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom