VR3 Backup Camera install with pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,
I have to tell you that this forums rocks and it has helped me tremendously so far. So I wanted to contribute back to the community. I bought the VR3 Backup camera the otherday and installed yesterday. I took pics of the install so I hope this helps out anybody who decides to do this.

Before we start let me stat off by saying this kit, if bought through the dealership cost about $400 with about 4 hours of install. They really like to :bananahump-slvrathl you at the dealership. Well I'm always into saving a couple of $$ so I decided to do this myself and help others save some $$ so we can buy more mods! :roller:

Here we go. Once you purchase the camera, you'll need to decide where you want to mount it. The camera has these arms on it so you can mount it on your license plate but I didn't opt for that since our plates are off to the side. So I decided to mount it on the rear bumper, right between the hitch and the spare tire. Now where to run the wires, after scouting around underneath the FJ, I noticed a harness of wires that run along the back side of the chassis and enters the vehicle (driver's side) through a 2" diameter rubber grommet. Bingo!
Now the camera wire has two leads, one positive and one negative. They will be attached to the reverse light wires.
Remove the rear access panel and twist and remove the reverse light. Pull it out as far as you can without damaging it. Should look like this:
photo1.jpg

Now you need to remove the silver trim off of the bumper. It's held on by 4 screws and 4 blue trim plugs.

Crawl underneath the FJ and with a long small screwdriver, create a hole by pushing the screwdriver up thru it taking care not to touch the other wires. Keep the screwdriver in there for now.
photo3.jpg

Now it's time to mount the camera. Like I said I chose to mount it on the bumber so I located the center and drilled a 3/16 hole just right of center. The reason for this is because the camera's wire comes out right on the back edge.
photo4.jpg

Once the hole is drilled, you need to prep the camera for install. Take a fine tooth saw and cut off the licese plate arms off of the camera housing. sand it down with a fine grit sand paper for a smooth finish.
photo5.jpg

Now thread the wire thru the bumper out to the back. If you have the tow package and park sensors, you'll see the wire harness that runs along the back. tie wrap the camera wire to this and thread it through the hole thru the rubber 2" grommet.

Using heavy duty double sided tape, cut a piece of it long enough and notch out for the wire. Clean the bumper off. Make sure it is free from any dirt or debris, and mount the camera.
photo7.jpg

Once the camera is mounted, pull the camera wire all the way thru.
photo8.jpg

route the wire up thru the panel and out where the reverse light is. Cut the plastic sheathing of the reverse light but dont cut it off. You'll be reusing it again shortly. Using wire taps, connect the red lead of the camera wire to the red wire of the reverse light wire (positive). Do the same on the other wire (negative). Use electrical tape to protect the wires.

When finished, twist the bulb back into the housing and put back the service panels.

Now it's time to install the monitor. But first you have to do a couple of things. Start off by removing the cover off of the rearview mirror and remove the mirror.
photo10.jpg

With a small screwdriver, pop off the caps off of the grab bars on the A-pillar
photo11.jpg

Remove the threshold sill by pulling it off. It's connected by a series of clips. Once that's off you can remove the passenger side kick panel. There is round cap located at the front near the floor. This twists off and there is two clips located in the front of the panel. Now the glovebox has to come off. there is a dampner located on the right. push in the clips and slide it off. The glovebox comes out by firmly grabbing it and pulling it off the clips.

Once the glove box is removed, you'll see a whole bunch of wires and the body ecu.
photo13.jpg

In that nest of wires, locate the blue/red tracer wire. It's located in pin1. Separate this wire from the rest. The blue wire of the camera wire harness will connect to this.
photo12.jpg

Below that you'll see two white connectors. locate the connector that has the white wire on it. The red wire of the camera harness witll connect into that.
photo14.jpg

a more close-up look:
photo15.jpg

What it looks like when the glovebox is removed:
photo16.jpg

Now it's time to run the camera wire harness. we've already removed the rearview mirror, now remove the passenger side sunvisor by removing the two screws holding it in. I left the visor clip in because I couldn't figure out how to remove it. Starting from the A-pillar, carefully pull down the headliner, being careful not to crease it. Using you finger to pull it down, carefully work your way around to the rearview mirror. Now thread the camera wire harness through that and pull it thru untill you have about 6" of wire sticking out.
photo18.jpg

tuck the wire up into the headliner and work your way back towards the A-pillar.
photo20.jpg

Once at the A-pillar, unloosen the nut that the grab bars bolt into and slip the ground wire into it. retighten.
photo19.jpg

Now as you can see the camera wire harness is too short to get two the other wires below. You'll need to extend it by using 16g. wire. Take one wire at a time. Carefully run the wires down the side to the other wires. Connect the blue wire from the camera wire harness to the blue/red tracer wire. Then connect the red wire from the camera wire harness to the white wire. When finished, use electrical tape and tape up where you extend the wires as well as where you connected them to the blue/red and white wires. I used this type of connectors:
photo17.jpg

NOTE:Before closing it up, plug the monitor in and without starting the car, turn the ignition all the way on and place the shifter into reverse. You should get a picture.

Once you verified you got everything working, re-install the threshold, kickpanel, Glovebox, A-pillar cover and the Sunvisor. Now it's time to mount the monitor!

I bought a metal strap from my local hardware store to make the mounting bracket. I cut about 4" of it and drilled two hole at the end that lines up with the mounting holes of the rearview mirror. Once I had the hole drilled, I placed it on the back of the mirror holder and bent it to where I needed it.
photo21.jpg

Once you have it where you want it, reinstall the rearview mirror and replace the cover.
photo22.jpg

Now cut a piece of that heavy duty mounting tape and place it on the bracket. Peel off the backing and carefully place the monitor onto the bracket. Besure that either of the sunvisors will not hit the monitor or the power wire.
photo23.jpg

That's it! Turn the ignition on again and place it into reverse one more time to make sure everything is working.

For those of you who want to see it in action, click here.

Well that's it. Hope this post is helpfull to everyone.

Send any and all contributions to.... DangerisFJ

Nice install and write up. How confident are you that the double sided tape will hold the electronics over time?

Hey, thanks for the writeup! I'll add it to the FAQ and hopefully people can reference this in the future! :)

Nice install and write up. How confident are you that the double sided tape will hold the electronics over time?

Not quite sure how well it will hold up to be honset with you but then again, if it doesn't, the camera is still attached via wire so the most it will do if the tape doesn't hold up is just hange there. Then I'll have a good view of the ground.

Hey, thanks for the writeup! I'll add it to the FAQ and hopefully people can reference this in the future! :)

Thanks FirstToy. Hopefully it will will someone out in the future!!

Brilliant. I'm doing this next. I just found that camera for $89 at Costco. Any reason to not just have it on fulltime rather than just in reverse?

So I guess the Wired is better than the wirless? I installed a wireless on the 100 and it sucked so bad I ripped it out and had my wife take it back.

Brilliant. I'm doing this next. I just found that camera for $89 at Costco. Any reason to not just have it on fulltime rather than just in reverse?

Was it in the warehouse or online? I am headed over there to look for it if it's in the warehouse. Especially after the whole "hitting the tree incident" this weekend...

So I found the camera and want to get it installed before I back into another tree. :)

But I would like to install it so that it is always on when the igntion is on. I would like to be able to use it in traffic as well. can anyone help me figure out how to hook it up so that it's always on when the truck is on. I am a novice at this electrical stuff.

Thanks!

Heather,
it's much easier if you want it on all the time- no need to tap into the Reverse circuit.
I would suggest a on/off switch for convienence- it might get plain annoying driving at night w/ a white screen from glare of headlights, etc.

do you have a pic of what you have or wiring diagram?

Heather,
it's much easier if you want it on all the time- no need to tap into the Reverse circuit.
I would suggest a on/off switch for convienence- it might get plain annoying driving at night w/ a white screen from glare of headlights, etc.

do you have a pic of what you have or wiring diagram?

Sure...I have the manual and it has wiring diagrams in it...here's the link:

http://www.vr-3.com/manuals/vrbcs300w_eng.pdf

I was thinking I could just splice both into a circuit that is on when the ignition is on. Maybe the daytime running lights? Stereo?

So I guess the Wired is better than the wirless? I installed a wireless on the 100 and it sucked so bad I ripped it out and had my wife take it back.

I may have missed something in his post but this appears to be a wireless camera. The installation only described power connections at the camera end and the monitor end.

-B-

BUmp for Heather-

scanning the pdf, it looks straightforward to install.

so wire the camera portion to a constant 12v source. Ideally, I would recommend you put in a new fusebox and run line directly from the battery. (see outfitting and search adding 12v outlets)

I would still add a on/off switch in there to give yourself an option to turn it off w/ not needed. Maybe a nice ARB style rocker switch or an OEM on/off switch (like a rr def or fog switch)

Here is a parallel thread in 80 tech- some good info, like DON"T wire it to stay on all the time-it will overheat
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1643567&postcount=47

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1643567

Last edited:
I may have missed something in his post but this appears to be a wireless camera. The installation only described power connections at the camera end and the monitor end.

-B-

My reception was to bad to actually use it. I couldn't figure out if that was a wired or wireless that was put on the FJ.

dangerisFJ, Is it wirless? If so how is your reception?

BUmp for Heather-

scanning the pdf, it looks straightforward to install.

so wire the camera portion to a constant 12v source. Ideally, I would recommend you put in a new fusebox and run line directly from the battery. (see outfitting and search adding 12v outlets)

I would still add a on/off switch in there to give yourself an option to turn it off w/ not needed. Maybe a nice ARB style rocker switch or an OEM on/off switch (like a rr def or fog switch)

Here is a parallel thread in 80 tech- some good info, like DON"T wire it to stay on all the time-it will overheat
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1643567&postcount=47
https://forum.ih8mud.com/showpost.php?p=1643567

SWEET! Thanks FirstToy for the info and the bump. This is on the list to do this weekend...along with some rock lights! So I'll see how I do!

Some great info on this post! One trend I have noticed is that every one seems set to use something designed as a back up camera.... Has anyone thought about running a laptop or Car PC with strategic placement of one or several web cameras? I know overall cost would be higher than purchasing a prefab setup, however there would be a boat load of other gnarly things one could do with a PC on board. Any thoughts on this? Better yet, is anyone a step ahead of me on this?

Any thoughts on this? Better yet, is anyone a step ahead of me on this?

Go over to the "Electronic Toys" section. Several have done carputers. Not many in Land Cruisers but plenty of ideas.

-B-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom