Garrett 2052 install on a 3B w/pics and video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As we all know there are many different turbos out there that people have added to their 3B's with varying results.
I wanted a turbo that would do the job effectively right off the bat that I could put on, get maximum results and pretty much forget about.
After much research on here, and with the help of Keith (aka Diesel42), I decided on the Garrett 2052 turbo.
Luckily the PO had put a CT26 turbo on my truck, which despite it being pretty a bad choice of turbo, it meant a 13BT manifold, boost gauge and oil drain plug was already on the truck saving me a considerable amount of time and money.

I decided to wait and do this at my father in-laws house, as his workshop is bigger than his actual house with every tool imaginable at hand!
And let me just say, it felt like we used EVERY tool in there during this 2 day expedition!
Keith was kind enough to have machined an adaptor plate for me so I could mount the turbo to the manifold aswell as the oil supply and drain lines made up which saved me countless hours of research and messing around.

The biggest challenge to all this was getting the exhaust to mount up to the back of the turbo and getting the turbo itself clocked to the correct position.
We needed to make sure the oil drain was as straight down as possible to allow maximum ease of drainage and the oil supply line was no more than 15 degrees off center. This required the turbo to go on and come off and go on and come off and ... well you get the idea! I lost count how many times we had to adjust that thing, but couldnt have done it if it had not been fully clockable - another advantage to the 2052.

The only reason the exhaust took so long, is my brother in law who is a great motorcycle fabricator refuses to buy something when he could make it!
So he made a 3 bolt flange adaptor to mount to the back of the turbo and welded it to the exhaust - thanks Rob!
After that it was just a case of wiring in the pyrometer, bolting everything up, running it and adjusting the fuel.
So let me just say, for those of you thinking about running this turbo, or even those of you who are undecided about which one you think is right for you, this thing rocks.
There is little lag in spooling and im building 10lbs of boost right away in every gear. I may increase this as ive only had it on for a day!
Those hills that required downshifting before, dont require it now and I can pull out in traffic without the worry of creating a pile up behind me ;o)
Pyros are running about 1000 degrees under a heavy load so I have a little breathing room still.

Contact Keith if your wanting to do this, hes very knowledgeable and super helpful guy, He spent many months researching this engine and what turbo would ideally suit it, and he may start putting a kit together for those of you thinking about doing this without paying the crazy OZ prices!

Anyway, enough writing, here are some pics of the build with a short video of it at the end.

Before

DSC06764.jpg

CT26 off

DSC06788.jpg
DSC06786.jpg
DSC06764.jpg
DSC06788.jpg
DSC06786.jpg

Last edited:
DSC06787.jpg

Garret 2052

DSC06763.jpg

Adaptor plate on the 13BT manifold with the pyro probe installed

DSC06794.jpg
DSC06787.jpg
DSC06763.jpg
DSC06794.jpg

DSC06793.jpg

Exhaust coming off

DSC06790.jpg

Home made flange

DSC06795.jpg
DSC06793.jpg
DSC06790.jpg
DSC06795.jpg

DSC06807.jpg

One of the many test fits!!

DSC06799.jpg
DSC06813.jpg
DSC06807.jpg
DSC06799.jpg
DSC06813.jpg

Exhaust bolted up and heat shield installed

DSC06814-1.jpg

Oil lines installed and silicone hoses going on ... Now we are getting somewhere!

DSC06816.jpg
DSC06828.jpg
DSC06814-1.jpg
DSC06816.jpg
DSC06828.jpg

DSC06826-1.jpg

Oh and a funny one - my sister in laws husband offered to change the oil. Wished he hadnt after it came gushing out faster than he anticipated! LOL!

DSC06820.jpg

Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULh1oTKYZAE

I now have a CT26 turbo for sale with all the trimmings if anyone is interested!
DSC06826-1.jpg
DSC06820.jpg

Last edited:
Cool, another satisfied customer.:cheers:

Cool, another satisfied customer.:cheers:

Thanks Dougal!
Forgot to mention you in there - Keith had mentioned you and he worked together in the beginning mapping the 3B.

Thanks Dougal!
Forgot to mention you in there - Keith had mentioned you and he worked together in the beginning mapping the 3B.

Keith did all the fitting, adapting and leg-work. I just sat here and told him what to buy.:grinpimp:

the PO had put a CT26 turbo on my truck, which despite it being pretty a bad choice of turbo, it meant a 13BT manifold, boost gauge and oil drain plug was already on the truck saving me a considerable amount of time and money.

I now have a CT26 turbo for sale with all the trimmings if anyone is interested!

QUOTE]

I thought the CT26 was a good choice by reading some of the other threads, I am kinda interested, what trimmings are included?

Jim

Congrats and nice video. I see clearance to the firewall is tight. That is my biggest problem as I have my clutch and brake lines running there and my custom manifold leaves me with almost no clearance :confused:

Yeah its pretty tight! I think if I had anything bigger than a 2 1/2" exhaust back there it may have been a big problem!
What custom manifold are you using?
I used the 13BT which sticks out a ways from the firewall.

jfc I have everything that goes with the turbo that you see in the 1st pic.

Flange fitting to exhaust, flange gasket which is in really good shape, silicone hoses running over the block into the throttle body, pipe with threaded hole for the boost gauge, nuts, bolts, washers, clamps. Everything but the air cleaner, which as you can see I re-used :)

Make me an offer. I havent had a chance to research what these go for, especially with all the above included.

very cool :cool:

how big of a fuel do you want thats what we use on our om906la mercedes motors at work. must get expensive doing fuel filter changes

nice and congrats .. ! this CT26 it's a factory 13BT CT26 or where it come from . ?

Thanks! I believe it came off a supra originally that was installed on there by the PO

would your brother like to make one more of those exhaust fittings? I have the same setup and not having luck from exhaust shops with that adapter 3 hole flange and nee done. was thinking about taking the diagram of the flange from Garrett and taking to a CNC shop?Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom