Jayco Baja 10Z Camper (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I have researched Pop-ups for over 4 months and just bought a 2005 Jayco Baja 10Z:

Requirements:
· Need to have a refrigerator
· Need to have a Furnace
· Need to be able to in the wild for several days and be able to have electricity, heat, etc.
· Need to be able to take trailer off road (Moderate) to make base camp prior to wheeling on more aggressive trails.
· Want layout so I don’t have to climb over kitchen table to get in bed.
· Unit needs to be well built and hold up with light to moderate road bumps.
· Brakes on trailer required for Mountain Driving and potential off road.

Evaluated buying cheap pop up and adding lift kit. Ruled out after 4 weeks of research. Would not be able to get 15” tire rims even with lift. Frame rails not as sturdy, internal workings would vibrate, inability to add shocks. 15” rims are the same as a standard tire instead of the 12” tiny tires on most pop-ups. People who have done this end up with units falling apart and worthless after several years. Plus buying a decent used one with a refrig is about $4K, add the lift, tires, etc ??

So added requirements to have 15” tires, spring suspension with shocks to absorb road bounce. Frame must be sturdy and have protection for underside to not damage propane lines.

I went to the Starcraft dealer and looked at the 10RT and 11RT. I didn’t like the 11RT because of the way the table sits, and the deck is too big since I don’t have an ATV. I also debated on the bathroom. I can always get a portapottie and either keep it in a cabinet and pull it out when needed, or used the tent outhouse when needed. So the toilet/shower option was not a swinger for me. Plenty of shower kits available.

The above set of criteria came up with 3 units (non bathroom units):
1. Jayco Baja
2. Fleetwood Evolution E1
3. Starcraft 10RT

Only Starcraft and Fleetwood tents separate and are not one whole piece. Only starcraft has 7 year warranty on tent. Others are 5 year. Jayco has a 2 year bumper to bumper warranty vs the others with 1 year. The tenting almost swayed me to the Starcraft.

Looked for 2005 models that were still new and have full warranty. Used 2004 models are only about $500 less and in some cases more.

Looking everywhere but the east coast, the Evolution was above $10K

After seeing the Starcraft 10RT in person. I spent a couple of nights searching and reading everything I could on these things and decided I liked the Jayco Baja 10Z better. I didn't want a front deck as big as the RT11, but wanted a smaller one and I liked the optional tool box that comes with the Baja. I also liked the little couch in the Baja better than just the cabinet. Also, I liked the step were the bed and floor meet. I liked the fact you could load the frig and cabinets with the top down. Finally, the Baja had more clearance at the hitch area.

So, after calling all around, I found one near Rapid City SD and did a deal for $8300 out the door that includes the value package (Refer, Furnace, Stereo, Prep for solar and generator, Water purifier), the outside Grill, Tool Box option, Hydraulic Brakes, Brake controller and wiring my vehicle. Damn, there went my Toy budget.

It's a big discount going for a 2005. The 2006's are almost identical and they are about $3-4K more. FYI - There are 3 2005's left at Jacks Campers in SD (1 in Black Hills 2 in Mitchell) and there is one in Tulsa Oklahoma that are all about the same price.

Here is a link to the Jayco site showing the 2005 10Z model:
http://www.jayco.com/html/catalog/ga...php?prod_id=85

I won't be able to get up there for a couple of weeks, but I put money down and it's mine. Kind of scary since I bought it without seeing it in person. The salesman is going to take some pics of my unit and send them to me so I will post them when I get them.

Looks like Doug and I will be able to have an Open house for the Starcraft and Jayco models at Moab, you can bring the Beer. What, you don’t bring presents to House Warming parties.:beer:

gallery_picture_481.jpg

gallery_picture_450.jpg

$8300...Nice Score! I'm a little disappointed we couldn't go the "offroad" trailer route. I like the 6" frame and heavier axle, but we just couldn't find a floor plan that worked in those models.
We found one that works in the standard models, but even my wife wanted the offroad models, because they look cool. Oh well, the Griswold Special will do just fine for us.

Dannnnnnnnnnng!!! Sweet camper, Ken! Enjoy it!!

after you've had a look, let us know please about the differences in sturdiness and quality with the "regular" campers.

Nice purchase. I too have the Baja 10z and selected it for the layout and couch option. One thing I was surprised by was that I still needed a drop hitch from the stock tow receiver on a 80 series with the 2.5" ome heavies to level out the trailer while towing. I'm hoping that when I move to 285's that it will be straight to provide more clearance. I'll see if we have any pics of our LC towing the trailer. The heavies are great with the 10z by the way. I've got dual propane and two 6volt golf cart batteries plus the storage box, and the heavies do their thing to just level out the truck. Pre-OME, I had 3" of sag on the stock springs.

I had to rig up a +12 line for the trailer batteries, so you may need to mod your stock trailer electrical hook up.

You won't set any speed records on grades on the highway, but it is amazing how well the cooling system works on the 80. We towed all over Death Valley, and the needle never rose above normal. Your wife and kids will like the heater, but it does suck electricity to drive the fan. I'm considering rigging up a solar panel for during day charging. The fridge is nice too -- no ice blocks to deal with. One tip when lighting the fridge propane unit, first start the stove to prime gas through the lines. The flow rate on the fridge pilot light is very small, so you may be attempting starts for a while (and cursing the dealer for a bogus fridge) if you just turned on the propane tanks and air needs to bleed out of the lines.

Let me know if you have any questions when you get yours...Eric

Nice! I wanted the 10Y, but got overruled by the wife and ended up with an '05 Fleetwood Niagara.

Eric T said:
Nice purchase. I too have the Baja 10z and selected it for the layout and couch option. One thing I was surprised by was that I still needed a drop hitch from the stock tow receiver on a 80 series with the 2.5" ome heavies to level out the trailer while towing. I'm hoping that when I move to 285's that it will be straight to provide more clearance. I'll see if we have any pics of our LC towing the trailer. The heavies are great with the 10z by the way. I've got dual propane and two 6volt golf cart batteries plus the storage box, and the heavies do their thing to just level out the truck. Pre-OME, I had 3" of sag on the stock springs.

I had to rig up a +12 line for the trailer batteries, so you may need to mod your stock trailer electrical hook up.

You won't set any speed records on grades on the highway, but it is amazing how well the cooling system works on the 80. We towed all over Death Valley, and the needle never rose above normal. Your wife and kids will like the heater, but it does suck electricity to drive the fan. I'm considering rigging up a solar panel for during day charging. The fridge is nice too -- no ice blocks to deal with. One tip when lighting the fridge propane unit, first start the stove to prime gas through the lines. The flow rate on the fridge pilot light is very small, so you may be attempting starts for a while (and cursing the dealer for a bogus fridge) if you just turned on the propane tanks and air needs to bleed out of the lines.

Let me know if you have any questions when you get yours...Eric
Hi Eric, i'm looking at the exact same unit. Just have my concerns over the vinyl one piece tent when compared to all the other manufacturers out there (sunbrella etc) and my other concern was the surge brakes, are they better or just different?

BTW the one we found is $9000CAD, last years model.

Congrats Romer! Glad to see that you settled on one. I am sure that you will enjoy it immensely.
-a

Thanks. I am really looking forward to picking it up in two weeks.

BTW - I found the following forum very helpful

http://www.rv.net/forum/

hey i s that 11rt the scorpian?

The Scorpion is by Fleetwod and is completely diferent

Campers

Well I have been searching the web for campers. Check out the Outback Kampers..... I found a motorcyle camper on Ebay and then started searching that area, and then found these. There are several other brands that are very lightweight, and easy to tow. Thoughts?

SS

GOWYN - I had no concerns about the tent material. I looked at the starcraft too, but opted for the Baja. There are probably pros/cons of any tent material, but then my parents popup which is over 30 years old is still weatherproof. The other features made the Baja seem the better trailer for me.

Regarding the brakes - I've been told electric could be better, but I haven't driven a trailer with electrics since I was 17, so don't really know any better at this stage. I'm attracted to the simplicity of surge brakes, and have no real complaints about them. My boat trailer at work also has surge brakes, and it hasn't given me any trouble. I've never felt the trailer pushing on me down steep inclines..... I do like being able turn off the overdrive on the 80 when doing hills.

Very nice Ken.

Hope I get to see it in person.;)

reffug said:
Very nice Ken.

Hope I get to see it in person.;)

I'll have a stoogie in the Humidor for you

Romer said:
I'll have a stoogie in the Humidor for you

Save it for me if he no-shows

:D

thanks Romer and Eric for all your research and input. I went and bought my Baja this morning. Yesterday it was +18c, today -2c and blowing snow. Figures. I'll be picking mine up next week some time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom