Homebrew Awning ( via swing outs ) pics. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry for the evening pics:

ken
DSC_0006.jpg
DSC_0007.jpg
DSC_0009.jpg

more...
DSC_0002.jpg
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg

last ones...
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0016.jpg
DSC_0019.jpg

Udaman! What are you using for the support poles? Nice job!

Wow, you're a much braver soul than I, to weld on that nice bumper.

Details on attachment to roof, material type & design? Can't make out the logo in 1st shot.

The awning itself is from a little combo pack I purchased a while ago. https://forum.ih8mud.com/camping-gear-recovery/38937-gutter-mount-awning-2.html

The supports are adjustable and foldable , I will get some better shots tomorrow, but the material is like a heavy tent nylon . I made some rope extentions that attach to the Yak rack and the awning attaches on to the extentions.

Naaa , dont have to be that brave to cut holes in something I created , its just a bunch of metal.

ken

yea, I've wondered about that package, but the logo keeps putting me off. It's down to $50 though, worth it just for the chairs, if I didn't already have too many.

Nice job!

Looks great! Only thing I would suggest you add are some small holes drilled sideways as close to the bottom of the welded sockets as you can, so water drains out of them.

Nice, thats the best looking awning setup I have seen yet. To bad the really need the swing outs to make it work well.

Looks great! Only thing I would suggest you add are some small holes drilled sideways as close to the bottom of the welded sockets as you can, so water drains out of them.

The receptacles on the swingarm's are totally open @ the bottom ( IH8rust )

ken

Only other thing.. Is Make sure the swing-outs lock in place when open... If they move inwards with the awning up, it'll all come crashing down.. (not sure if you have a locking pin already)

Great Job! Way to think outside the box....

Wow, you're a much braver soul than I, to weld on that nice bumper.

Details on attachment to roof, material type & design? Can't make out the logo in 1st shot.

He built the bumper. :lol:

Ken, great job. This is the same set up Rick uses, his rig was the center of camp activity on the Sept. Rubicon run. It was rainy and snowy most of the time but he had a huge area where we could all congregate and drink, err I mean swap stories. :eek:
I think you will love it.

Got's 125 # lift struts :grinpimp: :wrench:

ken

Only other thing.. Is Make sure the swing-outs lock in place when open... If they move inwards with the awning up, it'll all come crashing down.. (not sure if you have a locking pin already)

Great Job! Way to think outside the box....

It will puddle something fierce if it rains. Any solution to that? Can it be set at a down angle to drain?

Nice! :cheers:How will it hold up in windy conditions?

It will puddle something fierce if it rains. Any solution to that? Can it be set at a down angle to drain?

The poles are totally adjustable , by decreasing the length of one pole you can create an optimum run off pitch.

ken

Nice! :cheers:How will it hold up in windy conditions?

Im not sure what a nasty wind would do to it but it cant go anywhere.
In the driveway windtunnel test's blowing 15 knots it held strong.
When I would leave it loose it had a tendency to want to lift. ( like a sail )
This weekend it will go through a full test at the beach camping on a bluff.

ken

Im not sure what a nasty wind would do to it but it cant go anywhere.
In the driveway windtunnel test's blowing 15 knots it held strong.
When I would leave it loose it had a tendency to want to lift. ( like a sail )
This weekend it will go through a full test at the beach camping on a bluff.

ken
Maybe you could run a length of parachute cord from the top of the poles where they stick through the tarp back down to the sockets. Use a taunt line hitch to suck them tight. :idea: I might be worth adding a couple of eyes by the sockets to tie the cords off to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom