Desoto Mine trip Sat. 11-2-2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FastCarGuy

SILVER Star
Threads
Last Sunday, a few of us ran the Desoto Mine trail ending up at the Peck and Swastika Mines. This trail starts out just past Cleator on the CK road and winds up into the mountains and then back onto the CK road about 10 miles further away from Cleator.
We thought we'd do it again as several people wished they could have come. We’ll meet at the same gas station at 8:00 @ Carefree Hwy & I-17. Pull out time 8:15. For those interested, I would recommend 33” tires and at least 1 locker. There are 2 short areas where a second locker would be helpful if you don't have a lot of articulation, but they are so short someone can easily strap you over them.Also, for those who have heard of (and are concerned about)the very off-camber area shortly after Desoto Mine, we’ll be skipping that part. Instead, we found the trail straight up and over Desoto does go through, and offers some very scenic views from the top. Additionally, we found one of the roads down from the Swastika Mine is quite doable so we will exit back onto the Crown King Road. This trail was really fun and very scenic. And there was very little brush to contend with. It was amazing how the floods that occurred after the fires caused such landslides as to virtually wipe out a good deal of the Peck & Swastika Mine sites. Here's a link to the pics last week http://photos.azlca.net/
then click on the top left labeled Desoto Mine. Hope many of you come; this is a kids, dogs, and :princess: friendly trail. PM me or post up here any questions and I will do my best to answer them...Bob

I need to get off my ass and install may aussie locker:frown:

Last Sunday, a few of us ran the Desoto Mine trail ending up at the Peck and Swastika Mines. This trail starts out just past Cleator on the CK road and winds up into the mountains and then back onto the CK road about 10 miles further away from Cleator.
We thought we'd do it again as several people wished they could have come. We’ll meet at the same gas station at 8:00 @ Carefree Hwy & I-17. Pull out time 8:15. For those interested, I would recommend 33” tires and at least 1 locker. There are 2 short areas where a second locker would be helpful if you don't have a lot of articulation, but they are so short someone can easily strap you over them.Also, for those who have heard of (and are concerned about)the very off-camber area shortly after Desoto Mine, we’ll be skipping that part. Instead, we found the trail straight up and over Desoto does go through, and offers some very scenic views from the top. Additionally, we found one of the roads down from the Swastika Mine is quite doable so we will exit back onto the Crown King Road. This trail was really fun and very scenic. And there was very little brush to contend with. It was amazing how the floods that occurred after the fires caused such landslides as to virtually wipe out a good deal of the Peck & Swastika Mine sites. Here's a link to the pics last week http://photos.azlca.net/
then click on the top left labeled Desoto Mine. Hope many of you come; this is a kids, dogs, and :princess: friendly trail. PM me or post up here any questions and I will do my best to answer them...Bob

What is the date of this? Never mind. Date is in subject area.

The wife and I are in. Sounds like a fun trip.

Looks like a good time Bob, Im going to try and make it :steer:

Lorna & I ran it earlier this year. Great trail, fantastic views.

Where will the trail run end?

It will loop around back onto the CK road a few miles from Cleator, on the switchbacks going up to CK. I am planning on going in and out at the Cordes/ Bloody Basin exit as that road was much smoother than going through Bumble Bee. Depending on time, some may want to travel on up to Crown King for a :beer: or :beer::beer:...or to camp

i added eric and Justin to the list of people going we now have 7 rigs going.
Desoto. Peck, & Swastika Mine trail Saturday Nov 02
Name Vehicle
1 Bob Pelatt FJ80
2 Marcel Clement FJ40
3 Eric Murphy FJ40/FJ80
4 Kevin Corns FJ40
5 Matt Leblanc FJ80
6 Justin Johnson FJ80
7 Jim Chott (Joe's little brother) Toy Truck

Sounds like a fun trip, I was considering going until I relaxed I work on the 3Rd. Im down for a future run if im not working the day after.

Sounds like a fun trip, I was considering going until I relaxed I work on the 3Rd. Im down for a future run if im not working the day after.

In case it makes any difference, the trip is on the 2nd (Sat):)

In case it makes any difference, the trip is on the 2nd (Sat):)

What time do you think we'd be off the trail? It looks like this place is about an hour north of Phoenix which would put me at about a 3.5-4 hr drive each way from Tucson. Im working a 24hr call starting at 7am Sunday and I'd be traveling with my 3&5 year Olds and a wife that would hopefully be getting over a pretty bad cold/cough. We have friends in Phoenix we could stay with Fri night but driving home late sat would be kind of rough.

What time do you think we'd be off the trail? It looks like this place is about an hour north of Phoenix which would put me at about a 3.5-4 hr drive each way from Tucson. Im working a 24hr call starting at 7am Sunday and I'd be traveling with my 3&5 year Olds and a wife that would hopefully be getting over a pretty bad cold/cough. We have friends in Phoenix we could stay with Fri night but driving home late sat would be kind of rough.

Sorry, I thought you were thinking the run was on Sunday. You are right about the entry point is about an hour north. Best guess is (no problems) back to the same I-17 exit point would be 3:00-3:30 PM. Hope you can come,but sure understand if you don't. :)

Sorry, I thought you were thinking the run was on Sunday. You are right about the entry point is about an hour north. Best guess is (no problems) back to the same I-17 exit point would be 3:00-3:30 PM. Hope you can come,but sure understand if you don't. :)

No worries, I'd be in for sure if didn't have to work Sunday. We could have spent Fri and Sat night with friends in Phoenix which my wife has been wanting to do. She missed out on a trip up there last weekend because she was sick so I would have been able to kill two birds with one Stone on this run. Maybe next time.

Edit: looks like im working a 24hr shift Friday as well :doh:

Last edited:
I would have liked to join, but I gotta go pick up the garbage

Count me as number 9. I've been wanting to do this run for awhile and there may not be a better day than a Saturday outing. I have to be back in town by 5pm so this all seems doable. Just may not be able to stay too long for a beer at the Cleator bar.

Cheers,
Norm

good time of year to hopefully see some of this >

autumn.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom