Exploring east of Payson (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

inkpot

SILVER Star
Threads
Our wives decided that AzTony and I should take them up to the pines and go trail chasing Saturday. We got warmed up by running Payette Draw first thing. It's always a little differnt each time I am up there due to errosion and traffic. Some parts were easier, some a little harder. This ledge was undercut pretty bad, and it was well past the center of our 37s. I came up to it square on both tires. Couldn't quite pop up the darn thing without locking the back. Probably would of been a lot easier to do it at an angle, but, what the heck, it would of been easier to stay home!! Caught up with a group of Jeeps before the waterfall. One of them decided to go play on the big overhang. If you've been there then you know that it is a lot harder than it looks. Every time you start to lift the front up the wall, the rear wants to crab walk to passenger due to the off camber. After he gave up, I found out that he lives about a mile from me.

We wandered around east and south from there. Found a lot of neat, challenging trails. Most have had very little traffic on them. Some places were pretty tight. Found a pretty hairy turtle slide down a dirt bank into a wash. Glad we did not have to go back up that one, as it probably would of required winching.

Finally crossed Hwy 260 and headed south along the western side of the HellsGate Willderness. A few rock buggies in the area, but overall not much traffic.. Found some more rough spots that took some attention, but fun trails and great scenery. Ran a total of about 40 miels of trail. Need to do some more exploring up there. Some of the trails are dead ends, so kind of boring when you have to do an In and Out on the same track.

On the way to supper in Christopher Creek, I thought I could smell hot rubber briefly. Tires and fan belts were all OK, so didn't worry about it. Got back to Payson after dark, so headed down Hwy 87 back to the Valley. Just south of Rye my dahs lights went out. No smell, no sound, no other problems. Using a flashlight, I could see that all my gauges were reading OK, so I kept going all the way to Chandler. I figured I had popped a fuse. No big deal. Too busy Sunday to look at it, so went out this morning to check fuses. They were all fine. Hmmm. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

100_1632.jpg

100_1676.jpg

DSCN0806.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That will buff out.:hillbilly:

Whoa, how did your tail light melt?

:doh:

There are a lot more trails up there to be explored... Come on John!!!! Let's go!!!!

There are a lot more trails up there to be explored... Come on John!!!! Let's go!!!!

Got most of the melted plastic off, "new" light in (the red box of parts comes in handy again!). Now need to do something with the exhaust so it doesn't torch it again. Who was the spotter that caused that carnage?!:hillbilly:

Perhaps that was the problem, there was no spotting on the trip

ive always wanted to do that trail. other than the melt down, looks like you had fun.

Perhaps that was the problem, there was no spotting on the trip
The problem is that Tony has a lot more wheeling time on 37s than I do, and since he was leading most of the time, I had to hustle to keep up. :smokin: No time for spotters.:whoops:

Got most of the melted plastic off, "new" light in (the red box of parts comes in handy again!). Now need to do something with the exhaust so it doesn't torch it again. Who was the spotter that caused that carnage?!:hillbilly:

There was no socket/wiring damage in or near the taillight. Kudos to Kevin for finding the problem in the trailer harness/converter. :clap:

Still trying to figure it all out. Details to come as I figure them out. Needless to say I am looking for a replacement!
Apperantly I came down on the back end on a pointy rock. It bent the tailpipe up right at the rear hanger and that aimed the exhaust right into the hollow corner of the bumper. Looks like the heat excaped between the tailgate and the tail light.

It just couldn't take all that weight in the back of the truck any longer...:frown:

Good guess, but wrong. :frown: It was due to me standing on the throttle way too much :whoops:and that supercharger works like the afterburners on a fighter jet. :idea: It gets HOT!:bounce2::bounce:

There was no socket/wiring damage in or near the taillight. Kudos to Kevin for finding the problem in the trailer harness/converter. :clap:

Seriously, is it my trailer harness/coverter in my Land Cruiser is F uped season? :frown:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom