Burrito basket / underhood oven build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
I now can look forward to hot soup, chili, or burritos on the trail.

Several months ago I purchased the one and only "Manifold Destiny" book:hillbilly: Your guide to cooking on your engine:hillbilly: With the idea of creating my own engine manifold cooking set up.

This time of the year Im seeing ~200° on top of the heat shield of the exhaust. Seems like a perfect temperature for heating up soup, chili, or burritos while on the trail. I sized it to accept 2 can tight and at 9.5" long its perfect for a Filiberto's Carne Asada burrito.
thumb.gif

:smokin:

IMG_5050.jpg

IMG_5056.jpg

IMG_5058.jpg

Last edited:
Ceramic coating my exhaust manifolds I think ruined this option for me. Well...that and the S/C :D

Ceramic coating my exhaust manifolds I think ruined this option for me. Well...that and the S/C :D

I had a S/C in the past, you dont need my set up just throw your food under the hood anywhere you will be fine:flipoff2:

Wolfgang Puck would not approve of your cooking method. That is a Hormel-worthy set-up, however. For the Filiberto's Carne Asada burrito I hope you are running an OME heavy on the right side.

I usually put burritos or MREs on the radiator towards the front. There is a natural spot for them there. Be careful with cans, they will pop on you.

I usually put burritos or MREs on the radiator towards the front. There is a natural spot for them there. Be careful with cans, they will pop on you.

Yes! The book talks about cans, temperature, and potential problems.:eek: I look forward to testing and developing a safe cooking system for my travels. Maybe a remote temperature prob. :idea:

Been doing this for over 20 years! Learned the CAR COOKER method from my father (the old Mexican is a genius).

I too use the front of the radiator. Works especially well with corn dogs, burritos, etc!!!

Yes! The book talks about cans, temperature, and potential problems.:eek: I look forward to testing and developing a safe cooking system for my travels. Maybe a remote temperature prob. :idea:

Canned food does not require minimum internal cooking temperature. It is ready to eat and requires no additional pathogenic kill to remain safe product.

Just heat to desired eating temp....

Otherwise as another person said I think the can might go POP if heated too long.

Canned food does not require minimum internal cooking temperature. It is ready to eat and requires no additional pathogenic kill to remain safe product.

Just heat to desired eating temp....

Otherwise as another person said I think the can might go POP if heated too long.

Thanks good feedback

very cool. I am a fan of muffler meat. If worried about it exploding could you just be able to build a solid box with hinged lid.

That looks sweet. I don't know if the can would do any damage if it popped in the engine bay. Probably just have to scare off all kinds of critters until you could clean it up. I would be more worried about it popping or hurling chilly in my face when I tried to open the 200 degree can.

Remove the exhaust manifold heatshield...:D

You'll be able to cook, not just pre-heat!:hillbilly:

just don't spill BBQ sauce when you cook with the engine - your truck will continue to make you hungry for a long time :doh:

as experienced by one of Michael's buddies :hillbilly:

I tried that once. Decided to warm up a pot roast under the hood of my BMW while traveling in Europe. Somewhere in France I managed to short out the only frigging wire under the hood that wasn't 'fused'. The primary lead to the coil. (old BMW!) Managed to discount the battery and keep the car from burning to the ground. Two hours and 4 rolls of electrical tape later I was back on the road. Less dinner that was spilled all over the engine and smelled great for about the first 15 minutes of driving. Hope the basket works better. :)

Does this come in a teflon coated version, yet? (or maybe just teflon coat your exhaust manifold heat shield)

I'm thinking a skillet or wok would work better considering the incline/decline angles involved, and that would also open up some stir-fry options! Add a hot dog grate, a steak press, and some bricks for pizza and I think you'd have your own mobile roach-coach.

Brilliant!

A 12v rotesserie to warm evenly.:hmm:

(thinking 40 series with a header)..

Last edited:
yeah, didn't work so well for Kramer when he used Jerry's Saab for a slow cooker and then broke down in pursuit of Newman's mail truck en route to Michigan. Golf clubs were flying, friggin mess...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom