Trutrac, lockrite, e-locker for 97 4runner with ABS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I wanted some expert opinion on using a trutrac or lockrite for a 97 4runner (4x4) with ABS. I have heard that a lockrite will cause problems with ABS units and have been leaning towards a trutrac limited slip.
Please let me know what you have done with a 4runner with ABS and your locker choice, why and your experience so far.

Thanks

Thanks for the threads. However, they seem to address the front differential and I am trying to do something for my rear differential.
Also, wanting people to let me know what type of rear locker they have with a 4runner with ABS (not traction control).

THanks,

I'm too tired. The locker will ride like **** and make turns fun in your nice new truck.

Also, if you've got traction control, forget about it working FOR you w/ a locker. It will work against you.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/95-gen-toyota-trucks/246379-posi-ls.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/90-series-tech/243696-detroit-limited-slip.html

If you're going to put any locker in it, selectable is the way to go.

Thanks for the threads. However, they seem to address the front differential and I am trying to do something for my rear differential.
Also, wanting people to let me know what type of rear locker they have with a 4runner with ABS (not traction control).

THanks,

Well, it depends on if you're going to do a front locker in the future. If I were thinking of going with a front locker, I'd go with ARB, because that's pretty much your only option for a selectable locker anyway. Then, you already have all of the equipment to install the front locker.

But if you weren't, then go with a factory e-locker. You can do a retrofit (LINK) or do a whole swap.

Both lockers will work with ABS.

EDIT: OT--Noticed your sig says "16" tires." You have 16" wheels and 31-32" tires. Just thought I'd point that out. :D

Last edited:
OEM e-locker or ARB. Look no further. Both will leave your diff open until you press the button, so you only use it when you need it. In both cases you want to be able to disable ABS when wheeling. Losing your brakes when wheeling thanks to the ABS is no fun and can be very scary. 4runners that come from the factory with the elocker disable ABS automatically. You can always pull the ABS fuse before wheeling, or better yet, rig it with a switch

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom