Brush guards are Damage Multipliers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
We always tell people they should get ARBs over Brush Guards that Brush Guards are really damage multipliers.

We have pictures to document why Sliders, the benefit a Front ARB, but I don't recall one before of why not a Brush Guard. Found one surfing eBay and thought I would post it up.

This obviously was a small hit by the lack of major damage to anything else and the guard has been pushed most of the way back, but not all the way.
914392_15.jpg

That's about a 1,500 dollar dent there.

Cracked the front of the flare, too. :(

cruiserdan said:
That's about a 1,500 dollar dent there.

The same thing hapened to me a week after I got my 80. I look at it like just another excuse to buy an ARB sooner. Just work the dents out yourself with a little muscle and use the money saved for the ARB.

I'll quote Adrian from Slee's and say "Paint and chrome won't get you home!"

untitled

That response only works if your truck is paid for. Seems the lender
wants it nice. I just get filler in my ass end....passenger side.

I just bought an 80 that had a brush guard on it. It rattled and vibrated so much it rubbed holes in both the front fenders. The "taillight guards" were screwed to the body with sheet metal screws... :doh:

I'm reckon the damage would have been much worse without the brush bar.

I would assume the same thing! Although not as stout as an ARB even a fairly cheap brush guard has to be stronger than the sheet metal. I guess there might be certain circumstances where the brush guard could cause a bit more damage but most of the time probably not.
I had a brush guard on my first FZJ80 for a few months, it vibrated, rattled on the fender etc. I probably could have made some adjustments but opted to take it off instead.
Rusty

I have those same crappy tail light guards. I still have them on because I don't quite know what to do with the holes without spending $$$ to repair and repaint.

I'm reckon the damage would have been much worse without the brush bar.

You reckon wrong. Might have broken a headlight, might have broken a side light, maybe the grill. None of which are expensive. Probably wouldn't have broken anything, even less expensive. Any dent in your fender or hood is at minimum $400, and probably 2 or 3 times that amount.

Nice thread revival, BTW. :D

Too hard to tell from that picture, but my guess these guards have save a lof of grill, radiators and coolers etc. this extra protection when confronted with a deer or other unexpected obstacle can mean the difference between driving back to the highway or walking back. I've seen it twice myself. I wouldn't put one on just for the weight savings, but I wouldn't take one off if it was already there.

Too hard to tell from that picture, but my guess these guards have save a lof of grill, radiators and coolers etc. this extra protection when confronted with a deer or other unexpected obstacle can mean the difference between driving back to the highway or walking back. I've seen it twice myself. I wouldn't put one on just for the weight savings, but I wouldn't take one off if it was already there.
That guard might protect those parts from a collision with a crow or something, but not much else.

:lol:

Nice thread revival, BTW. :D

A real bumper will do what you say. What is being discussed here is commonly called a "brush guard", they are more of a decoration. The difference is mounting and construction, the damage multipliers are typically only mounted under the bumper and not very strong. In the event of even a relatively minor hit, they hinge back from the mounts, often taking out both fenders, hood, etc, in what would have been a relatively small damage event if not equipped with the damage multiplier. Looks something like this:
damage-multiplier-jpg.1107320

Since the ~10ys from Ken's post, the use of these really should be a non-factor.

My CL had 2 ARB's used in the last few weeks - for ~$500 and a little patience you can find a real bumper now days, and I bet those brushguards are at least $250 on up. The math isn't too tough.

The local 80's here either are stock or wear about my level of real steel, I only see the brush guards on newer 4runners, at least locally.

I agree, just look at the damage my brush guard caused to mine:

But not to worry, I got that fancy Pop a Dent thing off Ebay to fix it:

Just a little more work and it will be good as new again:

Actually, the biggest problem I had with my brushguard was it getting caught in the boulders I was trying to drive over. If it wouldn't have been on my rig, that extra two inches of clearance would have made the difference.

I had a bad ass Scrabler that i totally over engineered with a giant full length roll cage, two spares, two gas cans, skid plates, diamond plate steel floors, bumpers, winches etc. it was such a pig, I'm doing this rig with my eye on keeping weight to a minimum. If it's not going to add anything significant I'm not putting it on. I kind of go either way on brush guards, push bars etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom