55 days and 166 miles to SMORR 2013 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2fpower

SILVER Star
Threads
Here is the setup. I have FOO, my 96 Landcruiser that is ready for the next step in her existence.

The Tornado Alley Cruisers, TLCA club, is sponsoring our annual run at Southwest Missouri Off Road Ranch in Mid September.

My goal is to take the top off of FOO and get a cage installed before the run.

I have a bunch of other projects going, plus work and some travel, so this is going to be a rush to the finish.

Our club members have volunteered access to tubing benders, and maybe some swapping of labor for suds, so let's see how this journey goes!!

Before pics.

Pics of before

image-2217861013.jpg

image-518512306.jpg

image-1982946538.jpg

Metal

image-359658658.jpg

Giddy up. Im pushin as fast as i can on my truck. U have your work cut out for ya.. or u will have to work to cut it out?

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Started....

image-312559613.jpg

image-957443926.jpg

Can't wait to see it.

I too love love a un mangled truck and seeing a saw zall getting to go to town. Sweet.

plans

Here are my current sketches in my head, translated to paper.

Attachments

• plan 80.pdf
    872.8 KB · Views: 210
Can't wait to see it.

I too love love a un mangled truck and seeing a saw zall getting to go to town. Sweet.

"unmangled"..... take a closer look at that rear quarter -- heck every body panel. :eek: :grinpimp:

Oh, forgot to mention that the green tape is my expected cut line.

Been researching other threads on the tailgate, think I will make it first, so it lines up perfect.

If you look at the stock two piece tailgate, the lower piece is tapering in to be inset about 1/4 from the top piece.

Looking at how Slee did his, it looks like I have to weld on about 1" of material below the upper portion of the tailgate and then attach it to the lower section of the tailgate. Then bondo it to match up.

Anyone else have advice on this?

Ur right it's mangled. Should have said a non topless rig cutting the roof off is awesome. That's what I love.

Just ordered some monsaliner samples. Orange is the color in the future.

Anyone have plans for tube doors for 80 series?

so your leaving the roof over the cab and doing the cage on the back half only? if so i thik i have a excellent idea on how you can get the cage to cover over the whole truck. drawing up a plan right now post it in a few

partical exo cage

so my thought was have you main roll bar that is right drivers seat, have it a bit taller than your existing roof and finsh up the back of the cage as you had planned. but the front of the cage could be exo style and tie into your nerf bar. just a quick drawing hope you understand.

cheers

partical 80 exo cage.JPG

and you could still use the doors and windows, you could even get a soft top made for the back half and eveything.

Start

image-2402375174.jpg

so my thought was have you main roll bar that is right drivers seat, have it a bit taller than your existing roof and finsh up the back of the cage as you had planned. but the front of the cage could be exo style and tie into your nerf bar. just a quick drawing hope you understand.

cheers

some great ideas there. My hope is to either use the existing windshield frame as my protection, or build the rollcage into the existing frame as much as possible. I don't like the look of the exo, nor think there is enough room for an internal cage.

Once I get all the interior out, I will have a better idea of options.

Thanks for the pics and thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom