Failed Emissions test.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looks like all other projects are getting bumped until I work this out.

The following numbers are in GPM, which I think is Grams Per Mile.

HC 1.5418, the limit is 2.5
CO 32.7392, the limit is 25.0
NOx 4.4209, the limit is 4.5

I've got some homework to do. I'm about to dig into the FSM and see what I can find.
No check engine light.

I'm certain this rig has been neglected... this is going to be a PITA.
Any thoughts?
:cheers:

Last edited:
The limits are absolutely retarded to begin with, they just picked numbers and made it tougher for each model year newer. Be lucky you don't have a 94 or even a 96 like me. The entire "Air Care Colorado" campaign is a load of corporate and political bull crap that costs us out of pocket and makes this corporation rich. It would be one thing if it was run by CDOT and the money went to the roads or something but all I see is a sub contracted corporation raping everyone that drives a car. [/end rant]

I did find this though:
http://www.aircarecolorado.com/fail-and-repair-information/cost-limit-and-waivers/

I would imagine a new set of cats from Toyota would cost well over $715, maybe you could just get a waiver with a quote from a Toyota dealer to replace the cats?

1982 & Newer Light-Duty Truck Limits

Model CO HC NOx
1982 65.0 6.0 6.0
1983 65.0 6.0 6.0
1984 55.0 5.0 6.0
1985 45.0 4.5 6.0
1986 40.0 4.5 6.0
1987 30.0 3.5 5.5
1988 25.0 3.0 5.0
1989 25.0 3.0 5.0
1990 25.0 3.0 5.0
1991 25.0 2.5 4.5
1992 25.0 2.5 4.5
1993 25.0 2.5 4.5
1994 20.0 2.0 4.0
1995 20.0 2.0 4.0
1996 20.0 1.2 3.5
1997 20.0 1.2 3.0
1998 20.0 1.2 2.5
1999 20.0 1.2 2.0
2000 + 20.0 1.2 2.0

Last edited:
It might just be running a little rich. Is it failing at idle or at speed? Check the easy stuff first like a dirty or clogged air filter.

How many miles on your rig and when was the last tune-up? Not the expert, but maybe start with the basics; spark plugs, air filter, dizzy cap/rotor, running a concentrated fuel injector cleaner through with the gas, change the oil if very old, ---. Wait for others to chime in.

Sorry, I forgot a few things.
The rig was nice and hot.
Mileage, updated in signature.
Did a HG job, new plugs, wires, cap, rotor.
Totally forgot about the air filter.
Poured a bottle of seafoam into the tank, it was at 1/4 full, tonight after failing and added 6 gallons of 91 octane.
This rig has not been well maintained at all. It has a long to do list.
I wasn't going to start a thread after seeing countless others but thought maybe we will discover something that may be useful to someone else.
The test isn't all that easy to read. I'll get some pics of it up.
Thanks again for your thoughts.

"The limits are absolutely retarded to begin with, they just picked numbers and made it tougher for each model year newer. Be lucky you don't have a 94 or even a 96 like me. The entire "Air Care Colorado" campaign is a load of corporate and political bull **** that costs us out of pocket and makes this corporation rich. It would be one thing if it was run by CDOT and the money went to the roads or something but all I see is a sub contracted corporation raping everyone that drives a car."
Total scam but whacha gonna do.

The graphs make no sense to me, anyone know how to interpret this?
If it works off averages it looks like from 160 - 190 seconds, where it peaks, killed me. Now to figure out what would cause that increase.
IMG_2128.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2131.jpg

Last edited:
This makes me nervous as I am looking to be moving to Colorado next month. I'm a little worried with a P0402 code that could get me.

Will be interested to follow your thread though! Best of luck.... any areas with no testing out there? :D

From what I understand it's by county. Check out that link that Kbahus posted. There may be more information about areas that require testing.

I have no idea what those graphs mean and I interpret graphical data for a living.

You aren't that far off from passing, so it may be that if you tune it up, clean the throttle body and change the air filter it will pass. Maybe even just retesting it might pass.

so this test is done on a dyno? Beside the above suggestions I'd have the injectors professionally cleaned.

I've done quite a few now and it always makes a difference in the engines performance and I'm sure it helps with emissions as well.

Looks like your either running rich or on the verge of needing a new catolitic converter. I am still to new to cruisers to help, but do know my California Nazi Smog stuff...

Is there a way to adjust the A/F like on a 22re?

Yep, running rich. I'm going to replace the air filter today. Over inflate the tires and see what else I can adjust to get it to pass. I've read that the O2 sensors can be cleaned so I'll try to do that as well.
I'm hoping I don't need new cats. I'm going to search a bit and figure out how to test them as well.
The testing is done on a dyno. As much as I don't like E testing I do actually want my cars to be running good.
I've read that the intake can be treated with seafoam by pouring it into the brake booster line.
So my to do list before retesting is,
Clean O2s
Treat intake with seafoam
Replace air filter
Over inflate tires a little
That's it so far unless someone else has something to add for today.

I would love to get the injectors cleaned and should have done it when I did the HG job but I was in a hurry. There's a lot I wanted to do when I had it apart, trust me, it came down to time and money.

A couple bottles of heet might help. Essentially bring the fuel content down a bit, and since ethanol burns hotter it could aid your cats.

id burn off all the sea foam and the 91 octane, fill it with 87 ( it wont burn so hot ) id sea foam the engine through the vacuum lines. ( this fixed my po402 code ) just my 2 cents

sorry to read this.
Your NOx was close too.
4WD dyno eh?

I didn't have as much time as I thought today. Had time to get a air filter from Toyota, $30. Maybe it's me but it seemed to improve it. The napa gold one that was in there seemed to be the same size but didn't fit right.
I'm going to do the seafoam through the vacuum line off the brake booster tomorrow.
They have one bay for all wheel drive vehicles. It looks really sketchy watching the pig bounce around on that dyno.

id burn off all the sea foam and the 91 octane, fill it with 87 ( it wont burn so hot ) id sea foam the engine through the vacuum lines. ( this fixed my po402 code ) just my 2 cents

So you don't think 91 is the way to go? I usually run 87 but thought 91 would burn cleaner.

91 burns cleaner because it burns hotter. I'd run 87 all the way through it. And maybe not have the car so hot when you drop it off.

Just seafoamed through the brake booster line and HOLY s*** if I knew it would be that awesome I would have done that a long time ago!

The smoke, not a performance improvement. It's too early to tell if it will actually help because it's still burning off and I regret not having a camera handy I'll have one handy next time though. The trick is to do it around dinner time when people are coming home from work.
That was too much fun....

Edit: After most of it burned out I ran it up to 2000 rpms and it really did seem smoother. So a noticeable difference at 2k rpms I gave it some gas before the treatment to get a feel for how it was running.
I'm going back to the testing center in the morning and we'll see what the dyno says.

Last edited:
make sure you drive it for a while ( 30 mins or so) so burn off all the excess sea foam. any of that hanging around inside will create more smoke and what not. do some driving in it tonight until you dont see one bit of white smoke. did you follwo the instructions? LOL

Elevated HC along wid elevated Nox are usually the cats and Mayb o2 sensor would help lower smog readings. I would do start wid that and do a tune plugs,oil,etc and run a higher octane. U should b fine at idle and 2500 rpms for the next test. Pls update us on status

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom