LX450 vs. New FJ Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So a buddy of mine and I were have a discussion as to what would be more capable off road, a '97 Lexus LX450 (mine) or a newer FJ Cruiser.

Given that each would have a decent off-road tire, what are you thoughts on which would be more capable?

I 100% believe that the FJZ80 would be far more capable due to lockers and full-floating solid front and rear axles, and other factory goodies....

ciao
landcruiser1ih8mud.jpg

how about comparing them with open diffs,33" MTR's, stock hight, and no weight!

I may get blasted....I've seen some FJ's go over some nasty stuff with a-track. I think it would depend on the obstical and if the FJ has new diff gears (had to throw that in)

I think it would all depend on the driver and what terrian you were wheeling. Personally, I could wheel an 80 batter than an FJC because I know the rig better. At the same time, I've seen stock FJC (rear locker & A-TRAC) do amazing things. And I would bet that an FJC would be better in the high speed side of things...

haha my hypothesis seems to be correct :) take some more pics desi, we have all seen that pic of your rig, well, everytime you post!

:cheers:

on the main topic. I mean, an FJC can have coilovers and all sorts of other modern goodies. it will certainly ride better. any vehicle can be modded to compete against any other vehicle really. some parameters are necessary for this. also, is this rock crawling or expedition wheeling?

For me, it's not a matter of which one wheels 'better', it's a matter of which one will get me home again. The 80 has a big advantage there.

-Spike

I think an FJC with a solid axle up front would be great. Lots of FJCs in our local club and I've wheeled with them often. Very cute truck with very light running gear up front. Little teenie weenie linkages that break very often in the front. Personally, they're not for me. But they do look cool.

I've wheeled with a bunch of built FJs. I would argue that my 80 is a better overall wheeler, but the FJs always seem to keep up.:meh: Also depends on the terrian, driver and conditions, both trucks have strengths and weaknesses. :bounce::bounce2:

Its all wheeling, so its all good.:cheers:

haha my hypothesis seems to be correct :) take some more pics desi, we have all seen that pic of your rig, well, everytime you post!

Seriously

I like the look of the FJC, but the solid front axle on the FJ80.

haha yea...im goin on a wheelin trip end of June and will have more pics!

:cheers:

on the main topic. I mean, an FJC can have coilovers and all sorts of other modern goodies. it will certainly ride better. any vehicle can be modded to compete against any other vehicle really. some parameters are necessary for this. also, is this rock crawling or expedition wheeling?

The main thing I have only heard but not experienced first hand is that the outward vision is much more obscured in the FJC than the 80.

:popcorn:

I see them as two very different vehicles; it's an apples/oranges question. Love it or hate it but the electronic traction control widgets on the new FJs give it the edge over the 80, IMHO, all things equal such as tires and clearance because it makes up for terrain difficulties, driver experience and a host of other things. These same widgets can be perceived as a liability, and when you hit the traction control button, well, all things are no longer equal if the 80 has no such black box.

And yes, the FJs have some mechanical weaknesses that are being sorted out, but I think we can assume they will become quite robust in no time. I think when we look at the two as expedition vehicles, the 80 is preferred because it remains larger, stouter and simpler. Depending on your needs, the backseat of an FJ is a cave, whereas backseat passengers in the 80 enjoy the view.

But they aren't any more, or less, comparable than a 40, a 100, a disco, a ruby, etc. Really they are all unique vehicles that will do amazing things with a talented (or not so) driver. I can't agree with your position that the LX would be "far more capable", I think there would be a few individual scenarios where one truck might out-perform the other, but I suspect the FJ could follow, or lead, equally, as far as getting down the trail and back.

I can't agree with your position that the LX would be "far more capable", I think there would be a few individual scenarios where one truck might out-perform the other, but I suspect the FJ could follow, or lead, equally, as far as getting down the trail and back.

I agree the 80-series is not "far more" capable though it is without a doubt "more capable". So is my 100-series more capable despite it's added size and weight over the FJC.

I've not seen an FJC yet that has truly impressed me. I see them struggle over obstacles, bounce and bounce around, lift wheels and struggle for traction. The 100 and especially 80 seem to just drive over the things.

Like any other wheeling situation though...some obstacles are better for certain setup sthan others, and visa-versa. The FJC do seem to make it too the places, though without the grace of the Cruisers.

Knoll351 here on 'mud rallies his FJC. I believe there are some pics somewhere here of him doing the Rubi in his with TOY350 and his 80.

Interesting question.

Under the skin, the FJC is based on the Prado - which in itself is was/is a 3rd Gen Surf/4Runner. They just added lots of electronics. When I first seen the FJC I though they would drop the 1KZ diesel in there - same frame an' all!!!!

As said, oranges apples kind of argument.

I've got a great summer planned around The Pyrenes and I know I'll be happy in my 80 - big, simple, no OBDII to worry about, no scangauge to make me think the car is about to overheat lol, 3x lockers (woohoo). So I know what I want to be in.

Having said that, I think the FJC looks bl00dy great - real homage to the original Toys.

IMHO this discussion is unfair unless some FJ cruiser guys chime in. in the durability dept i think the fjC can't hold against the 80, but off road worthiness honestly i haven't' seen any fjc wheel here (middle east), although i know i can go almost anywhere others have went in my 80, but i can't say the same for others.

Although on the fj C forums they had issues with the front inner fenders cracking, not that big of a deal but to a new truck it should be.

I did some lurking on the FJC forums, and heard the front structural / fender cracking / tearing thing as well. It seems to be with built trucks that do some pretty hard core stuff.

I would have had an FJC instead of an 80, originally, if I did not think the kids would have been miserable in the back seat. The electronics in the FJC are impressive for the a track and with lockers and A track, I believe it is formidable indeed. Realistically, probably close to a stock locked 80. All bets are off when you start to build, as builds and capabilities will vary, as will drivers.

Love my 80, would buy and build an FJC.

to me it's pretty easy ..

80 series are 4 doors and nice visibility ..

FJC it's in fact 2 door vehicle and barely 50% of visibility that 80 have ..

By the way, funny sticker on a built FJC in my Vegas LC club;
it says "Worst 4 x 4 x Far!" They guy likes it, but he does necessarily RESPECT it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom