ARB Snorkel - Pre-filter question... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I see the 7" and 10" units are available for the ARB snorkel.

Whats the difference? Is one just larger and is supposed to filter more air?

I just checked outside to make sure and it seems both the 7 inch and 10 inch models would fit unobstructed.

Why the difference in size?

Do both types fit the new style 80 series snorkel?

We are running the 7". The 10" is just bigger, more protection. There was rumor that they might fly off at freeway speeds (the 10"). Never ever documented. Kurt at Cruiseroutfitters said its a lie also.. but we went for the 7" anyways.

If you have the new Safari snorkel you need to modifiy the pre-filter to fit. It's not made for 3.5" snorkel.. it's made for the old 3" snorkel. So it has to be pushed inside the tube instead of sliding over the outside. I just heated mine up with a heat gun and molded it smaller down into the neck of the snorkel. I've called ARB and advised them of this.. but they're not the ones that make it.. Donaldson is.

And yes, they do work. Here's mine with crap flying around in it like a food processor lol
http://youtube.com/watch?v=EWGuIQHRP50

When I bought mine I was told by the guys at ARB that the 7" was too small for the amount of air needed by a 1HZ or a 1HDT.

7" 90 - 200 CFM
10" 200 - 450 CFM

I don't know about the petrol motors but wouldn't have thought there was that much of a difference given the displacement is roughly the same.

I do know the 10" works really well. The amount of crap in it after a weekend out in the scrub proves it every time!

Page 3 of this pdf from the Donaldson website gives you an idea of the difference between the 7" and 10" (or 6.5" vs 9.5"?) http://www.donaldsonfilters.com.au/uploads/Donaldson Topspin Pre-cleaner - F111107.pdf as well as some info on their newer design, which should eliminate the need to empty the pre cleaner.

I'm gonna go for the 10" unit then.

SoCalFJ - how deep does the prefilter fit into the snorkel tube?

What did you do to "modify" the snorkel tube? Did you cut into it so the hose clamp would squeeze it onto the prefilter tube?

Socal I am also curious on what you did to modify the snorkel for the hose clamp to tighten down on the filter.

There's a plastic sleeve connected to the bottom of thet pre-filter. This sleeve is supposed to slide OVER the snorkel tube. Well its too small. So, I heated up the pastic sleeve with a industrial heat gun. Then i squeezed it evenly around in a circle just enough to that it would fit inside the snorkel tube. Mine is very very tight. It doesn't even need a hose clamp, but with the dirt roads we travel i did it anyways. The snorkel is on the outside snorkel tube tightening down on the inside sleeve.

Hopefully that will explain it. When you get it, you'll understand better.

I haven't forgotten about you.

Just give me a little more time... ;)

Well, I finally got the 10" delivered and installed. Took it out today on on a snow run in Prescott.

I don't see any visible anything in there yet - but Im sure thats because it was quite damp and the ground was all snow covered instead of dry and dusty.

It looks like some sorta UFO....

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

Sort of...

Yes, the prefilter base DOES NOT fit over the snorkel tube, but it is like an upside down ashtray with the slits it has. I just used the black hose clamp I had on the original snorkel head. I tightened it down on the base connection area so I could easily drop it into the snorkel tube.

Once in there I slowly loosened the hose clamp so I could push the prefilter base deeper into the snorkel. Once down as much as possible, I tightened the black hose clamp around the outside of the snorkel tube to secure it all in there.

I gave it a few hard whacks and pryed it back and forth with my hands and it didn't budge at all.

It's not going anywhere unless I rip the snorkel arm off the truck too.

Donaldson pre-filter attachment

I just installed the Safari snorkel and bought the pre-cleaner too just in case I need it for some dusty roads. I attached mine using a 3" pipe connector I found at ACE. It slips over the snorkel body fine and tightens down on the pre-cleaner nice and tight as well. I might like the 10" better though.

snorkel.jpg

snorkel2.jpg
snorkel.jpg
snorkel2.jpg

Does the pre-filter still come in 2 sizes? Does it still require modification, or does it fit directly now?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom