rear access-easy fridge access mod (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
This is a mod I have been wanting to do for quite some time now so i though since the GF is out of town I'd start to work on it. The idea here is to hard mount the cooler (fridge when i get one) so that i can easily get to it at all times (even when the trailers hooked up) That being said this will function much like the work trucks flip up sides. I plan to replace the glass with a solid piece of aluminum which will also allow me to easy mount other items to it on the indside so when it flips out they will be right there (fire extinguisher anyone?) But enough talking and on to the pics.

First few pics are with the rear window removed to show you just how big it really is.
IMG_0322.jpg
IMG_0325.jpg

Here are a few shots how how the cooler-fridge will sit when its mounted and how easily it will be accessed
IMG_0327.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg

Found a cool boating store close by that basically is a boating junk yard with new and used parts for everything so i picked up these for the project
IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg

the latches pull up when you lift up on the handle. the striker will simply be the welded seam of the window frame
IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0338.jpg

and finaly a quick stop to the greatest hardware store in the world (hardware sales)

and i got a set of these trick european 270 degree hinges what will flip up and out of the way of the body when opening.
IMG_0341.jpg
IMG_0342.jpg

So if I understand it correctly, you are removing your side windows and replacing it with a drop down door (hinges on the bottom?).

I'm interested in seeing the completed project. Kind like making the 80-series into a panel truck.

Steve

cool thing about this mod is if some one wants to run a fridge and no storage box they could weld a frame the uses the stock holes for the rear seats to hold the fridge in place (and right height) they then would still ahve plenty of storage everywhere else and could be easily removeable.
The only issues im seeing so far are the hinge mounting. Originaly i was hoping for a mod that anyone could do with the right parts however it looks as though for this to be a over built setup a fabricated hinge mount plate will have to be made. im thinking utuilizing the upper handle mounting holes as well as the third row and second rox seat belt holes for the plate to mount. I thought about using just the upper handle holes but im afraid if i have to much weight attached to the swing out door then it might be too flimsy. Also by incorperating the seat belt holes into the mount there will be another surface to mount the gas shocks that will hold the window open. This will give me the choice of where and how to mount the gas shocks.

Only part i see being difficult it the mounting of the gas shocks. I hear they can be quite problematic if you dont know what your doing (thats me:eek: )

So if I understand it correctly, you are removing your side windows and replacing it with a drop down door (hinges on the bottom?).

I'm interested in seeing the completed project. Kind like making the 80-series into a panel truck.

Steve

They will hinge from the top and open upward (like a gulwing) the idea of having them drop down was a also played with (could be used as a table) I may to the other window that way however whel it comes down it blocks your access into the truck so unless it had to positions it wouldnt make access any easier.

Looks like it will meet what you want it to do!! I am looking forward to seeing pics of when it is all finished.. Looks like you got a good start to it.. Good Luck,
Keep the pics coming!!

How are you going to keep it water tight?

its still going to use the factory rubber seal, fitment will have to be right but basically the two latches i have will be putting the pressure on the door to keep it water tight. if you look at your window now the only thing holding it in place is the ruber gasket (no bolts or screws or clips) Im using the factory window frame and gasket and replacing the glass with aluminum

i would have to sourse smaller sliding windows for that to happen and to be honest i dont ever use the sliding windows unless to get to something in the truck or maybe for the dogs.

Mate , you must drink some serious piss to need to get to youre chilly bin that quickly.
Whats wrong with opening the back door and grabbing a beer??
Good luck with the project though.

Mate , you must drink some serious piss to need to get to youre chilly bin that quickly.
Whats wrong with opening the back door and grabbing a beer??
Good luck with the project though.

back door is fine but it seems when i do long trips (i do LONG trips)
i carry alot of gear and pulling everything out to get the cooler is a pain in the ass. Stop for lunch at a park to cook lunch and id have to pull alot of stuff out to get to it. Seems the cooler always is packed in the same place (far right next to window) but there is stuff behind it too. Add a trailer inthe way and its even more of a pain in the ass.

mike

I like it but I wonder why you chose the RHD side; if you had gone with the left you would have retained the use of the right-side rear window for visibility.

there is a cool photo of a 70 series w/ flip up sides (as you are designing). search it out, I think it would be good inspiration and give you some ideas. I think it was a red 70, super clean show truck

I like it but I wonder why you chose the RHD side; if you had gone with the left you would have retained the use of the right-side rear window for visibility.

Visibility for who? i cant see out of there when im driving? hell thats why i put stickers all over those windows becasue you cant see out of them. this mod will work with both sides.

there is a cool photo of a 70 series w/ flip up sides (as you are designing). search it out, I think it would be good inspiration and give you some ideas. I think it was a red 70, super clean show truck

was it the grey one? used to be a mining truck? those were flip up doors, which i find way cooler but dont really wanna cut up my truck (yet)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom