Builds DanKunz ROTW (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GXO

GXO
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
gxor.org
DanKunz ROTW ***Updated 5/21/2015***

Got some new shoes (37x12.50R16 Irok NDs) and rebuilding the DS front this weekend. Baseline the fluids, and she should be good to go.

***UPDATED 3/23/2009***

My Landcruiser Story:

I got this cruiser in mid-2006.

I bought it from the original owner. A great guy named Robin down in Austin.

I know Robin loved on this truck as witnessed by the leather...it is ten years old
and showroom soft and comfortable...no football leather in this truck!

So here we go...

• 1996 FZJ-80 with 190k.
• Magnaflow turbo catalytic converter
• Dynomax 3 chamber turbo muffler
• OEM locker front.
• Aussie locker in the rear (KISS rule!)
• Warn M12000 Winch with blaze orange superline synthetic rope
• C02 bracket mounted in bed
• Cobra CB and cage mounted antenna
• Safari Offroad Snorkle
• 37x12.50x16 Super Swamper Irok Radials
• Longfield super set in the front axle
• Poly Performance set in the rear axle
• 4:88 Gears
• OME N73Ls
• Slee 4" front coil springs
• Slee 4" heavy rear coil springs
• OME steering damper
• 6" Slee control arms
• Toyota Style CV drive shaft front and rear (2x new now!)
• Slee rear sway bar drop brackets
• Removed front swaybar
• Stainless steel extended brake lines
• Slee adjustable rear upper-control arms
• Slee adjustable front and rear panhard rods
• Rear 2" Bump Stop Drop Blocks
• Front 2" Bump Stop Drop Blocks
• Slee Off-Road front bumper Modified by JKCustoms
• Slee Off-Road rear bumper Modified by JKCustoms (now welded onto frame)
• Slee Off Road Sliders (now welded and U-bolted in place)
• PIAA Flood Lights
• XM Satellite Radio
• Clarion CD/MP3/AM/FM
• Infinity 3-ways all around
• Relocated CDL and hazard buttons to allow for a custom center dash assembly
• Rubberized polyethelene epoxy skin (~1/4" thick on the entire exterior)
• Custom Soft Top
• Chopped top with custom roll cage thanks to ACC!

History of the truck:

Robin bought the truck new from Toyota and decided to build it into an offroader. He called up Christo and outfitted the truck to close to the current state. He has taken it to Moab, around Texas, and most
amazing...he took it to Cambodia for two years!

Robin used the truck as the primary vehicle in working as a volunteer teacher and in the creation of a documentary to be submitted in March of 2007 in the Austin Film Festival with a title of “The Living Fields”. It is the story of the need for education for the children of the 30 year war torn country of Cambodia.
The trip started in 2005 in Penang Malaysia. Robin then drove it the length of Thailand and into Cambodia.

I purchased the truck in 2006, drove it to Atlanta, and have been wheeling it every since. My boys love it and I have really met a lot of folks I have always talked with online but never met.

Plans for the future:

• Dual batteries
• Bed lining the interior

Some historical pictorial fun:

Cambodian pictures:
CambodiaSmall.jpg

Cambodia3Small.jpg

When I bought it:
Clean2Small.jpg

The fleet:
00Cruiser004.jpg

As it sat pre-tornado:
HPIM0245.jpg

Post-Tornado:
Tornado08021.jpg

Under Construction:
DSC06126.jpg

DSC06130.jpg

DSC06131.jpg

As it sits today:
http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q95/dankunz/Guacamole/

Wheeling:
River Rock:
RiverRockSmall.jpg

Cullowhee:
CullowheeSmall.jpg

Gray Rock:
GrayRock4Small.jpg

GrayRock5Small.jpg

GreyRock6Small.jpg

Lithonia, GA (don't tell the cops! ;)):
LithoniaSmall.jpg

Last edited:
looks great! like the 7'' dvd. how did you get locking hubs on a '96,I thought that could not be done?

Dave D.

great write up and pics of real wheeling!!

looks great! like the 7'' dvd. how did you get locking hubs on a '96,I thought that could not be done?
Dave D.

I am in the process of going to longfields so the hubs will come off and the drive flanges will go back on. Currently there are non-96 birfs in there and have shorter splines to accomodate the hub.

The 7" is not a DVD, but rather just a monitor. I have RCA jacks to which I can hook up the DVD, CD, iPOD, etc so I can run whatever.

Thanks for the comments.

WOW!

Great-looking rig with a cool history!

Mot

WOW LITHONIA!!! I GREW UP THERE. Then moved to Snellville, now all the way out west. Where was that in Lithonia? Rogers Lake Road? That was a trip reading Lithonia, were you wearing Kevlar? I didn't see a semi-auto (or full auto) in your mods;) .

I love your truck!! That finish is unreal and I imagine unreal expensive and rare.

Great write-up

Smit

Great Story/Ride! now that makes your ride more valuable with the places it's been. I wonder how it did on the back roads of Penang. I had a short taste of penangs backroad, rut/mud but unfortunately not on a cruiser(on a Disco). Cambodia has some interesting places unseen this side of the world not to mention very slippery trail/mud:D I'm sure the TLC handled it very well.
The rubber armor make it look even tougher, did you do it yourself?
Last question, is it included on the documentary? :D Seriously though?

Congrats ->DanKunz-ROTW!:cheers:

I know robin loved on this truck as witnessed by the leather...
You might want to clean that up. :flipoff2:

Great truck! It's history just makes it that much more cool. :cool:

Yep, that is Rogers Road. It is a very different place now :)

WOW LITHONIA!!! I GREW UP THERE. Then moved to Snellville, now all the way out west. Where was that in Lithonia? Rogers Lake Road? That was a trip reading Lithonia, were you wearing Kevlar? I didn't see a semi-auto (or full auto) in your mods;) .

I love your truck!! That finish is unreal and I imagine unreal expensive and rare.

Great write-up

Smit

The PO did the finish. He had it done by the contractor that lines the military toxic waste barrels.

To answer you question...yes, to all of them.

When people ask me why, I tell them to key the truck. They all do it hesitantly, then let out an "ahhh" and it is explained :)

I can drag a 1" in diameter stick down the side of my truck with the full weight of the vehicle on it and incur no wrath ;)

What exactly was the impetus for the rubberized finish? Just protection? Just looks? Just for something different?

Nice rig.

See previous, the PO did the work.

It is in the documentary for sure, just don't know when it will be out and where to get it...rest assured I will get a copy if I can!

Great Story/Ride! now that makes your ride more valuable with the places it's been. I wonder how it did on the back roads of Penang. I had a short taste of penangs backroad, rut/mud but unfortunately not on a cruiser(on a Disco). Cambodia has some interesting places unseen this side of the world not to mention very slippery trail/mud:D I'm sure the TLC handled it very well.
The rubber armor make it look even tougher, did you do it yourself?
Last question, is it included on the documentary? :D Seriously though?

Congrats ->DanKunz-ROTW!:cheers:

I know the wording is odd, but Robin is worthy of a great complement with the condition the leather is in. It is often we find the 90s cruisers with leather that is stiff, cracked, and uncomfortable.

This truck has soft leather that is very nice to sit on. I have kept up the conditioning ritual and it has held up great!

You might want to clean that up. :flipoff2:

Great truck! It's history just makes it that much more cool. :cool:

Very nice story...Do you still have contact with PO? I like to keep in contact with my PO or owner that I sold it to.

Sorry might be off thread topic!

Hoser, can't help but notice your avatar. Is that your actual ride? looks great not to mention what's (or who's) standing on the hood, can you share pics (of your ride of course) :D
Thanks!

I wish she and the cruiser were mine! It's an Icelandic Cruiser... built for rescue missions in heavy snow and ice. :cheers:

Back to Dan's Avocado--love the modified Slee front bumper... looks very stout.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom