Custom HZJ79 from parts, built in the US! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

yooper

SILVER Star
Threads
I am having Proffitt's Cruisers build me an HZJ79 and this is the build thread.

The plan is to use one of the new 2010 FZJ79 bodies they acquired from Saudi Arabia:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/vehicles-trailers-sale-wanted/360764-land-cruiser-pickup-project.html

attachment.php

attachment.php

and acquire a frame, suspension, drivetrain, interior, etc. from mine trucks from Canada. We will use new parts where necessary.

It will be mostly Toyota OEM with some improvements.

Planned drivetrain is a 1HZ with turbo and a 5 speed, probably an H55F. Rear ARB locker.

There will be a bunch of custom armor.

Haven't decided what to do with the bed yet re: rack or cover. A soft top would be fun but maybe not practical for my climate (long winter).

The mine truck parts just recently arrived at the shop so the build is just starting.

This is pretty much my ultimate LandCruiser. I haven't had a pickup truck for 9 years and I really miss it. A diesel LandCruiser pickup is going to be sweet.

Last edited:
I'm having the body bedlined completely underneath, as well as the inside of the bed and the floor of the cab, for corrosion protection. Ultimate corrosion protection is the mantra of this build, the winters are long here and they use a lot of salt and sand all winter.

I'll post some photos of that when I get them, hopefully Monday, as the bedliner guy was working on it Friday.

So far this is my truck: a mine truck frame. It will get rock sliders and rear quarter panel protection welded on and some kind of rear bumper with a hitch receiver, then be blasted, hot dip galvanized, and powder coated.

frameb.jpg

My body armor will be an ARB combination bullbar and custom sliders and rear quarter panel protection similar to those on Grease Cruiser's (shop manager at Proffitt's) truck.

His build thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/371579-custom-hzj79-build.html

sliders.jpg

quarterpanelarmor.jpg

Was hard to decide what to do about a rear bumper. The factory ones are useless. The rear lights are in the way. I want a hitch receiver. Probably something similar to Grease Cruiser's again:

bumperx.jpg

Last edited:
My body armor will be an ARB combination bullbar and custom sliders and rear quarter panel protection similar to those on Grease Cruiser's (shop manager at Proffitt's) truck.

His build thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/371579-custom-hzj79-build.html

sliders.jpg

quarterpanelarmor.jpg

Was hard to decide what to do about a rear bumper yet. The factory ones are useless. I want a hitch receiver. Probably something similar to Grease Cruiser's again:

bumperx.jpg

Sean, if only for protection from the slight little bumps and dings that you get from backing or having someone bump you from behind, I would have something that extends back below and at least four to six inches behind the last bit of sheet metal on the bed and tailgate. Protect the tail lights and such with some distance, if you will. It also provides a bit of a step up when needed.

Yeah, definitely get a built-in 2" receiver that will handle Class III tongue load duty.

This thing is gonna be beautiful.

Oh, and I know how tempting it can be to busy-up a truck bed with other things (racks and tops, etc.); however, I would urge you to keep it simple and use it as-is for a bit. You've got your 100 and you're going to love the wide open usefulness of a pick-em-up truck. Re-learn what every Texan knows: Pickup trucks RULE!

Sean, if only for protection from the slight little bumps and dings that you get from backing or having someone bump you from behind, I would have something that extends back below and at least four to six inches behind the last bit of sheet metal on the bed and tailgate. Protect the tail lights and such with some distance, if you will. It also provides a bit of a step up when needed.

That was my original plan but it doesn't work very well with this body because the tail lights hang down really low. In order to have a bumper like that with enough clearance of the body to allow for some flex the bumper would have to be really low, making the rear departure angle even worse than it already is.

Another option is to do some complex body work and cut off the tail lights and move them elsewhere but I don't like that idea.

It's a difficult problem to solve. I am not happy with Toyota's design of this part of the truck.

Last edited:
Oh, and I know how tempting it can be to busy-up a truck bed with other things (racks and tops, etc.); however, I would urge you to keep it simple and use it as-is for a bit. You've got your 100 and you're going to love the wide open usefulness of a pick-em-up truck. Re-learn what every Texan knows: Pickup trucks RULE!

Yeah everything is a tradeoff. This will not be my first pickup truck and I've gone both open bed and hard cover before and I liked the hard cover much better. :hmm:

That was my original plan but it doesn't work very well with this body because the tail lights hang down really low. In order to have a bumper like that with enough clearance of the body to allow for some suspension flex the bumper would have to be really low, making the rear departure angle even worse than it already is.

Another option is to do some complex body work and cut off the tail lights and move them elsewhere but I don't like that idea.

It's a difficult problem to solve. I am not happy with Toyota's design of this part of the truck.

that was my worst fear with my old HJ45--rear end damage. If your lift is sufficient, there would be room for a pretty solid tube setup back there. And a tube wouldn't hurt you too much on departure.

Yeah, definitely get a built-in 2" receiver that will handle Class III tongue load duty.

That was my original plan but it doesn't work very well with this body because the tail lights hang down really low. In order to have a bumper like that with enough clearance of the body to allow for some flex the bumper would have to be really low, making the rear departure angle even worse than it already is.

Yooper,

Great deal!

It is good to see you building a Cruiser of your dreams...and many others.

However, I am on the same page as DD with regards to the rear bumper.

My buddy here has a 1990 FJ75 truck (U.S. registered) and he had a custom built 1/4" plate bumper built from from a internet photo. The bumper weighs maybe 300-400lbs. He also removed a leaf out of the rear leaf packs. It works well for protection and "begins" to add counter weight to the heavier front end and stiff rear leaf springs.

I will get some pics up as soon as I can for you, it might just give you an idea or two on some possibilities for the rear protection/set up.

Nice Truck and it will bring you many productive and fun hours building and driving it. I will continue to check back in to make sure you are getting it right.

:clap: :wrench: :steer: :wrench: :clap:

I'm doing a similar build, but doing it myself and using a 62 series frame, extended with new body mounts from Proffitt's, and 3fe with 4-speed. The mine truck frames look like an easier way to go. Like you, this will be my ultimate LC build. Best of luck. You (we) will have a very unique truck once they are built.

I'm doing a similar build, but doing it myself and using a 62 series frame, extended with new body mounts from Proffitt's, and 3fe with 4-speed. The mine truck frames look like an easier way to go. Like you, this will be my ultimate LC build. Best of luck. You (we) will have a very unique truck once they are built.

:cool:

A 3FE with a stick shift is a fun combo. My first Cruiser was an FJ62 so I'm well acquainted and love that engine. I considered using a 60 series frame but in the end decided I wanted the front coils and more load capacity, plus it is a bit easier because everything fits already.

:cheers:

good for you, very practical build.

bedliner ...
i don't recommend it. if you do go that route MAKE SURE you have a good coat of paint properly bonded to the steel before applying the stuff.

it will be fun to watch the build.

The FJ62 frame should be able to handle the same amount of cargo weight as the 79 series frame. I will be reinforcing my rear frame and using either 75 or 79 series OME rear springs and OME springs in the front. Not sure on the difference in length between the 75 and 79 series leaf springs.

good for you, very practical build.

bedliner ...
i don't recommend it. if you do go that route MAKE SURE you have a good coat of paint properly bonded to the steel before applying the stuff.

it will be fun to watch the build.

Why not bed line? I'm also looking forward to watching this.

:hmm: Can you have them fab up a bumper that fits into the receiver for the in-traffic concerns? That is, idiots in parking lots, the unintended backing up into the mailbox, and such? Something strong enough to take a 5 mph bump? This something could be taken out when wheeling, or when the hitch is needed.

Of course, that just means all the body damage back there is going to come on the trail, in which case you only have yourself to blame. :D There's got to be some way to get some sort of steel beyond the sheet metal without sacrificing too much departure. :hmm: Maybe extend something from the rear quarter panel protection? But that would interfere with the lights, hitch, or tailgate. :hmm: Tough.

quarterpanelarmor.jpg

Last edited:
cause once it goes on there is no turning back. you can not see what is happening under the s*** till your foot falls through the floor.
on a vehicle you are going to be keeping for a long time, i don't recommend it.
if you are going to beat the crap out of it and junk it for parts then it is great stuff to keep heat in/out, easy to clean etc.
if you are going this route then the hippo liner is the best to use as it stays flexible and you can tint it to the colour of the truck.
just sayin...

Yooper,

Mind if I ask if you had to or will have to overcome any titling issues using a mine truck frame?

I'd think the mine truck might be a 75 from Canada that isn't 25 years old but of course I have no idea what you got your hands on. How does it work in your state? (I'm not trying to be a prick, I actually want to know)

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom