Builds PZJ78 truck build?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

crushers

post ho
Threads
remember this?
https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/183243-70-series-double-cab.html
well, i have picked up a dead LJ78 for $3K in decent shape and after taking the HZJ78 in Revelstoke for a test drive i have decided to build up a truck SIMILAR to the linked one
but
it will have a turbo'd and intercooled PZ, a R141 instead of the 6 cyl. it will have a alloy tray, stretched frame and should be a hoot to drive...
(what can i say, i love the PZ), i have a donor HD PZJ70 rig, a donor LJ78 and although i love the 70 i want to see what a PZJ78 will be like for a DD and a trail rig.

when will i get to it, when i get time but it will be a quick start to finish once i get motivated.

cheers
Wayne

Looking forward for some winter reading, cant wait!

x2

JuanJ

Looking forward for some winter reading, cant wait!

Im looking forward to some winter wrenching....

hurry up and get back to Ontario Wayne

Sounds like your getting to build your dream ride top stuff mate
Does that mean a heavy duty front end ay? or will the pz motor squeeze in the LD engine bay
Dont stretch your frame to much or you will get pig turning circle like the 79 series

Hi All:

No idle hands for Wayne! ;)

Good luck with the project! :D

Regards,

Alan

Rusty, i am back. the last stretch of my 10,670 km round trip delivering the HZJ40 to San Fran was a straight 51 hours of driving with 4X1 hour cat naps along the way.
the rig is going in for inspection next week, once it passes then i can do the mods and still have a legal ride. i need to make sure i have my ducks in a row before i start.
Rusty, i am looking forward to having your help on this one.

cheers guys,

so for now it is the engine install and the front clip swap.
once again it was this truck that got me hooked on the idea. for years i have balked at the idea of installing a HD engine into the LJ engine compartment, the suspension. then last year i compared the frame dimensions and found that they were extremely similar up to the firewall (I.D. you can install a 77 body onto a 78 frame directly) so there was mods to do to the front section to allow the engine to fit.
then a bloke in Alaska bought a LJ78 off me to install a HDT into. at first i thought he had too much of the oxygen rich Alaskian air flowing through his veins and then i took this one for a test drive:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/70-series-tech/278333-hz-into-lj78.html?highlight=1HZ+LJ78
and i was hooked. the truck ran well, rode nice and showed me it can be done.
disclaimer: beislebub did a fine job of his install and anything i do is not a dig or a slam against his work. i just do things differently.

first up, introducing the beast.

there will be left over parts forsale if anyone wants them.
first up:
LH and RH fenders in excellent shape
hood with a couple dents
grill in excellent shape as well as trim under grill
tons of sensors and relays
rad in good shape
brand new head 3 months old in excellent shape
complete rebuilt turbo and associated parts
excellent 373 auto tranny
exhaust system

motors dead due to rod bearing heading south.
IMG_1243.JPG
IMG_1248.JPG
IMG_1249.JPG

removing the "stuff" from the fender
removed the grill
removed the LH fender

beislebub made this sound like a 2 hour job. this engine is a nightmare to get my meats around.
IMG_1250.JPG
IMG_1251.JPG
IMG_1252.JPG

front clip removed
seats removed
carpet pealed back
tranny shift and cover removed
IMG_1253.JPG
IMG_1254.JPG
IMG_1255.JPG

wiring
more wiring
i tagged where each connector came off for later adapting to the PZ, thankfully the PZ can be run off one wire but i will attemt t wire it back up to use the factory gauges.
and hooked up ready to come out finally. 5 hours of steady wrenching and cursing and more wrenching.
IMG_1256.JPG
IMG_1257.JPG
IMG_1258.JPG

next up, stripping the PZJ70.
to be honest there was no real reason to stip this truck. it served me very well as a winter DD and wheeling rig. it never let me down. why then am i getting rid of a reliable truck? cause i am bored with it and want to try something else.
not near as tight in the engine bay.
for sale will be:
the tub,
the front fatory equiped e/locked diff in EXCELLENT shape
rear lokka equiped diff.
2 1/2" dakar lift springs 1 year old with extended shackles
1 year old shocks
the frame is chopped
assorted controllers and relays
glass is good
IMG_1262.JPG
IMG_1264.JPG
IMG_1265.JPG

Rusty showed up to lend a hand for the weekend. he keeps me focused and motivated and those extra 2 hands makes light work of frustrating jobs.
now a realization came to light, although the frames are the same width front to back the length is slightly shorter with the LJ frame, 1 1/4 actually. now you can drill and weld a tube trough the rails and stick towers up front but to locate the fender supports properly then the frome horns will be 1 1/4" short and the ARB assecories or my custom bumper will not fit.
i decided to do it differently, measure, cut and weld a HD front frame onto the LJ frame. this will allow for proper finished frame horns.
remeber measure once, walk away, measure again just to confim.
IMG_1274.JPG
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1276.JPG

Last edited:
and so the replacement peice was cut and cleaned up.
i added re-enforcing 3/8" metal to the inside, drilled 1 1/4" holes for plug welding
welded up the plates to the wall of the original frame.
IMG_1277.JPG
IMG_1278.JPG
IMG_1296.JPG

the front ready to install and weld

what is not showing here is the screw up i made the first time around. i measured once, twice and cut... 1" too short. i had measured the original LJ frame and cut the first replacement that length. when the realization hit i had to sacrifice the frame of the PZJ70 to make the replacement.

oh well, s*** happends. deal with it and move on.
IMG_1281.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom