Delco CS-144 Alternator Installed - Pics (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Decided to put one of these 140 amp models in after rebuilding the OEM unit three times.....not to knock the Nippondenso, but the 55 amps is a little low and the Mean Green seems a little overkill.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/CS-144_Special_offer.htm

It was shipped with an incorrect pulley (too narrow) that would fit if the alt was installed on the driver's side of the motor where the Smog Pump lives. Also, the two prong mounting base woulda worked well with the supplied spacer, if mounted in that location.

Seems to be a good fit for someone that doesn't need a smog pump anymore.

I had them send out a wider pulley and the adapter bracket shown in the pic.

Pretty easy to put on, but get a big bag of washers....
IMG_0735.jpg
IMG_0736.jpg
IMG_0737.jpg

Post up the wiring details.

Dynosoar :zilla:

It's a miracle that its charging..... the red wire on the plug, that's been cut, needs to go to the batt. terminal on the back of the alternator along with the voltage supply wire..... the next wire down on the plug, needs key-on voltage only to energize it.... the other 2 are just Gm applications like idiot light and volt- meter.....

the stock lead was hooked up to the back of the alt at the post, along with a mega battery cable ran directly to the + battery post.

now with the adapter plug, i used this information.

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_sbpage2.htm

the only other two wires needed are the "L" terminal connected to the charge indicator bulb, and the "I, or IG" plug, which is the stock number of hookups on the nippondenso unit.

i left the stock plug intact and used blade connectors at the end of the adapter's wires to make sure everything worked ok before i started making permanent mods.

here's a link to the pulley that was needed and a pic of the harness.

http://store.alternatorparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=505
Picture_0226.5.jpg

Last edited:
Seems to be a good fit for someone that doesn't need a smog pump anymore...

I thought that sticking a CS 144 in to replace the smog pump was a good idea, and on the engine stand I had it worked out. But once installed I found that the alternator body was a bit too large and would hit the steering box before good tension could be applied to the belt, consequently the belt slipped and the engine ran hot.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=112706&highlight=144

I've since picked up a CS 130 and I think this will work as a substitute for the smog pump, I just haven't had time to do the installation.

For those of you that are interested..... the cs130 makes for a better and cleaner conversion..... no brackets to fab..... just bolt-on... and uses the Toyota pulley..... you can also see in the pics the correct wiring configuration.....:cool:
cs130 (Custom).JPG
cs130 2 (Custom).JPG
cs130 3 (Custom).JPG

I used a 7977 se which is a GM delco replacement alt where the smog pump was with a small pulley and it bolts up with only a small spacer I made out of a small piece of pipe. The brackets match up perfectly but the are not the depth (front of truck to back) of the toyota bracket is too long so you need a simple spacer. Works great. I had it made into a one wire system so you dont need to wire it into the harness. Just one wire straight to a second battery that I also installed.

Grant, any idea on an application or part number for the double ear style Delco alt?

I always end up getting the big sleeve style mount (as shown at top of thread), which is more of a hassle.:mad:

I picked up a CS 130 with double ears at a salvage yard. The tag on it says "96 Century" (Oldsmobile?). A F/2F alternator pulley is a perfect fit on it.

Cs-144

I installed a 120 Amp CS-144 Alternator in the 60. I believe it came out of like a 1990 Cadillac Fleetwood. I used the stock bracket but I flattened the bend out where it mounts to the block. I used the stock tensioner, but I had to make a spacer to fit the tensioner. It is just a piece of tubing with a nut welded to it for the tensioning bolt. I haven't got to wiring it up yet since I'm still in the middle of my build. I also had to slightly grind the A/C tensioner bracket.
CS144 Alt 01.JPG
CS144 Alt 02.JPG
CS144 Alt 03.JPG

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the CS130 alternator (twin ear) "GRANT5127" used for his swap.

Several here on the board have said it was out of a 1994 -1996 Buick Century, this information is wrong. The Century Alternator is a twin ear design, but the mounting ears are to narrow for the 2F bracket, in fact they are exactly the same width as the mount. I have tried two different Century Alternators with no luck.

I'm in the middle of swapping in a CS130 on a 77 2F (FJ40). A part number would be great.....
Thanks
Chris

any chance that the 77 2f bracket is different than the later model sf brackets.

Also I read that on some alternators the ears need to be filed down some to fit.

also interested in the cs130 swap.:popcorn:

clint

CS-130
Edit: 90-92 Eagle Premier / Dodge Montaco

Went to my local Alt shop. Brought in my original 86 fj60 alt. Told them what I wanted. Mentioned the CS-130. He brought out two types. One had the mounting like the CS-144's above and one that was a perfect match (or as best as I expected)

Said stock came 105 amps. Said it would cost me $95. You would need to connect it like Grants photos shown above. Or ask to have it converted to a one wire system like I did.

They also said they could get more amps out of it with a different flubinhuser (don't really remember I'm assuming a rectifier). Asked for price.

140 amps was $140
180 amps was $175
210 amps was $210

I don't remeber the exact price but these are really close.

He said not to use the 210 amp for offroad situations because it didn't charge well at low RPMS. I stuck with the 180 amp one. Said he needed to order some parts and I could pick it up tomorrow.

Very cool.

Last edited:
dont't mean to hijack but I just had a quick question about this, My dual batteries are set up with a separator rated at 100 amps, Sounds like the c 130 is the easiest cleanest install but would the 5 extra amps hurt? any opinions I have a hard time seeing it hurt since the separator is a mechanical device and it's probably rated pretty conservatively. This in its stock config sounds about right 105 amps for what I run... and if I run my auxilary battery down wouldn't take forever to charge. thanks

Grant, any idea on an application or part number for the double ear style Delco alt?

I always end up getting the big sleeve style mount (as shown at top of thread), which is more of a hassle.:mad:

Jim I finally figured what was the right application of CS-130

This is not it. My first failed attempt.

DSC00618.JPG

Ended up going back and explaining the tensioner tab was not in the correct location. The correct one is from a 90-92 Eagle Premier or Dodge Montaco.

Anyone with similar info on alternatives to a MG alt specific to the 3FE? As you guys know, anything over 100 amps would be a welcome improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom