New Doors on an Old FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Texican

s-Moderator
Threads
I know there are other ways to do this, they all look like a$$
Here is my way, Cut the mounts off a donor truck, mark and cut the old mounts off the old FJ, Weld in the new section.
703341_3983130821609_1885385241_o.jpg
567368_3983120261345_362065272_o.jpg
566735_3983129301571_1247242713_o.jpg

Still got to do a bit more filling, and sand with something finer, but other than that ....done, now to the other side.......
703376_3983122141392_1003478717_o.jpg

Doing it the right way is always better, to bad im usally to lazy to do it right. Looks great

this truck is on schedule for a full repaint, so I would kick my own ass daily if I had not done it right....:D:D

Any pictures of the back side of how you blended in to the earlier tub? I plan to do the same thing using parts off a 82 FJ40 tub onto my 65 FJ45 cab. Besides a different lip on top of the tub being different the hole on top is bigger. But still think it would look better install the later door latch mount.

I notched the flat portion of the new piece to follow that contour........These donor parts came off a 76, hole is same and contours are same as this 74 tub
BACK SIDE.jpg

x2 on this being the ideal way, solid work Texican!

I've went the same route when I built my personal 40 and couldn't be happier with the later doors, better regulators and latches. While there is something pure and simple about the earlier doors, I wanted the practicality in my trail rig :D

fall07-kurt-004.jpg

x2 on this being the ideal way, solid work Texican!

I've went the same route when I built my personal 40 and couldn't be happier with the later doors, better regulators and latches. While there is something pure and simple about the earlier doors, I wanted the practicality in my trail rig :D

]

Great minds think alike obviously.........:cheers::cheers:

Butch, swap looks awesome. Have a request, you by chance didn't hold onto the drivers side old style tub door part you cut off did you? If so would you be willing to part with it? Say a trade? I order and mail you a cool silicone TLCA pint glass from the tlca store and you mail your leftover scrap part to the tlca home office for possible recycling?

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

Butch, swap looks awesome. Have a request, you by chance didn't hold onto the drivers side old style tub door part you cut off did you? If so would you be willing to part with it? Say a trade? I order and mail you a cool silicone TLCA pint glass from the tlca store and you mail your leftover scrap part to the tlca home office for possible recycling?

Sent from my phone using IH8MUD

How did I miss this??
Not ignoring you those parts were gone the day after I did this......had no idea anyone would want em

Butch. No worries. I just got the old one welded in last weekend so im covered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

Thats good info for me as I'm going old doors on my 78. The photo's show me what I will need to do to get the strikers to work. Now to find a set of early strikers
Cheers

I think you would be better off fabricating a pair that utilizes the holes in the pillar but places the striker farther out in the OEM location

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

I agree with butch. What he did and what I did were a pita.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using IH8MUD

Thats good info for me as I'm going old doors on my 78. The photo's show me what I will need to do to get the strikers to work. Now to find a set of early strikers
Cheers

If you're puting older pre 75 doors on your 78, stock strikers won't help. The hole alignment doesn't work. I read somewhere about using ambulance door strikers, but don't know if that works.

When you figure it out, start a thread... :D I've got older doors on an older truck, so I've not got first hand knowledge.

My point is the striker if mounted to the later holes is about an inch too far inward, however one can be fashioned easily that uses those holes and moves it outward ...... Yet still looks good even stock.

Thanks for the info and your right about making a set of strikers to suit the later tub. I have a few sets of later doors and was planning on cutting a set down into half doors. I will need to refit the later strikers to suit when running these. I will post some photo's of what I come up with as there's very little info on this modification using the search engine.

The reason I posted this is every solution I tried or saw looked bad very rigged post up your solution ......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom