Electrical Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am at a complete loss when it comes to auto electrical stuff. I recently purchased a 1975 FJ 40 and I love it. The motor runs very well but, nothing electrical works but the headlights. It looks like a bunch of speaker wire and wire nuts from the alternator to the bat. I bought a new fuel sending unit, still nothing. Then I put a new temp sending unit, still nothing. I am trying to restore this on my own for fun AND to save money but this seems to be way over my head.

Any ideas????

Thanks....

Get a wiring diagram and get together with other cruiserheads in your area. Wiring is not difficult to repair. Post photos of specific issues and ask for help here on Mud. You certainly want to get rid of the wire nuts and jerry-rigged wiring. A flaming harness can really damage your project.

If you don't want to (or can't) spend the money on a used OEM harness or aftermarket harness, pull the whole harness out, get a good wiring diagram, sit down and pull all of the POs crap out and piece it back together. Use soldered connections and heat-shrink tubing. Working with it in the rig is a pain (literally) and you'll do a better job with it out on a bench or table. Add a fuse block to pull your accessories from so you can leave the repaired original harness alone. Good luck.

Idaho FJ40 said:
I am at a complete loss when it comes to auto electrical stuff. I recently purchased a 1975 FJ 40 and I love it. The motor runs very well but, nothing electrical works but the headlights. It looks like a bunch of speaker wire and wire nuts from the alternator to the bat. I bought a new fuel sending unit, still nothing. Then I put a new temp sending unit, still nothing. I am trying to restore this on my own for fun AND to save money but this seems to be way over my head.

Any ideas????

Thanks....

Coolerman here on ih8mud is a genius, see his posts here and on his website. Wiring is not hard, you can do it with a wiring diagram (google search) and a little patience. There are tons of photos and diagrams here on the forums for each circuit. Type in 'horn wiring' for example and you'll see what I mean. Best of luck!

http://www.globalsoftware-inc.com/coolerman/fj40/schematics/FJ40/1972-73FJ40/Haynes1973FJ40.jpg

Is one of coolerman's pages.

Last edited:
nothing electrical works but the headlights.

Any ideas????

Thanks....

Any time you have a lot of things that don't work, the problem is between the fuse block and the battery. This doesn't include much because the battery and alternator connect to the amp meter amd from there to the ignition switch (for the circuits that need to have the key on) and to the fuse block.

Start by cleaning the fuse block. If the things that still work don't need the key on, then you may have a bad ignition switch.

Get a cheap multimeter and test light. Those two things will become your best friends when troubleshooting electrical issues.

If you don't have power to almost anything then I agree you have a problem at the fuse panel or the power source to that panel. First thing first... Make sure you are getting power into (and them out of) the panel. After that, you walk through each individual circuit one at a time. Headlight switch is a good starting point. Get a multimeter. Headlights will include front and rear lights, markers, dimmer... But it's straight forward. We can help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom