Outback Solutions (ARB) Drawer Install and Review 2011 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jonharis

Adventure Imports
Threads
Website
www.facebook.com
I decided to put this little review in the 100 series section because I purchased them with the 100 series fit kit. The drawers are universal.

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/newProductAdvice/ARB_drawerSystems_PR_retail.pdf

I had been looking for a set of drawers for my 100 series for about 6 months. I was really liking the quality of Slee's product so I called several months ago to learn more about them. Christo informed me that ARB was going to begin importing a new drawer system to the USA. These are made by Outback Solutions and sold by ARB.
A thread detailing the drawers can be found here.
Christo had decided to start stocking them. I began chats with ARB on the availability of the drawers in the US. I decided to order my drawers from Safari Ltd., my local Toyota shop. The drawers were at their door in a week. I was between trips when the drawers arrived (Rising Sun Camp Hale and Book Cliff Cruisers Ouray) and didn't have time to install them myself. Safari had my truck back to me the same day looking great. From what I can see, install was fairly straightforward but some finesse was required to get everything lined up right.

The price on the drawers is substantial (similar to Slee's and a little more for the fit kit and other options) but I don't have the carpentry skills or the patients to build something as nice as Zane's. I fully intend for these drawers to be used in this truck and the next and the next if possible and from the first month's use, I expect that they will be up to the task. With that in mind I view these to be a better long term value when compared to cheaper alternatives.

Here is the break down on the parts I ordered.
2x Drawer RD1045US (These are the largest that will fit and retain the second row. (21"W x 41"L x 11"H))
1x Side Fit Kit 100AIRFKUS (This is sold at a reasonable price and fits perfectly adds lots of storage options and mounting points for gizmos)
1x Fold Down Anchors BRDAPKITUS (Super sturdy anchor product for tying down items, also reasonable in cost)

The drawers are an all steel construction with plywood tops covered on both sides with marine grade carpet.
DrawerSystemInstall07.jpg

The frame is well braced with lot's of options for mounting.
DrawerSystemInstall09.jpg

All of the hardware
DrawerSystemInstall08.jpg

The installed frame system and side fitments.
DrawerSystemInstall12.jpg

The drawers mount to the 3rd row seat hardware. It's a very solid mount and provides a good ground for electronics.
DrawerSystemInstall11.jpg

Finished drawers. I also ordered one set of D ring hold downs. These are capable of securing very large loads. I am planning on adding one more set to have 4 above each drawer.
DrawerSystemInstall14.jpg

One drawer. Drawers are removed by removing 2 small screws.
DrawerSystemInstall03.jpg

The drawers are mounted on heavy duty ball bearing rollers. Even with a full load they roll very smoothly. They lock open so they wont close on you if parked on a grade.
DrawerSystemInstall02.jpg

I took advantage of the realestate under the right fitment panel to mount a fuse box (soon to be replaced with a Blue-Sea) I wired 4 gauge from the battery through a 100a fuse and to the box, currently I only have the National Luna plugged into it but I will be adding some 12v plugs and an inverter with remote house plugs mounted in the fitment panels.
BCCSanJuans2011020.jpg

The fitment panels are hand removable to store items and the flat surface provides a place to store other items.
BCCSanJuans2011030.jpg

Finished Product with Tembo Tusk Loadspotter. The Loadspotter is securely attached with 8 bolts to the plywood top. Fitment was perfect and nothing got in the way of the drawers.
DrawerSystemInstall04.jpg

Makes for a nice clean solution when loaded. The left drawer currently contains my tools/spare parts and the right drawer has camp chairs, propane and the girl's pack-n-play. Note the small gap on the right side of the fitment parts. I assume this is for airflow to the rear-AC unit. The large locable handles are easy to grap in the dark and provide a good grip when opening a loaded drawer.
DrawerSystemInstall05.jpg

Just to test it out, I put about 100-125lbs of weight in the drawers. They still opened smoothly and easily.
DrawerSystemInstall06.jpg

Thanks for reading. :cheers:
BCCSanJuans2011028.jpg

Last edited:
Thats a 1st Class setup you've got going Jon. Does the sub get covered up at all (or do you even care)? Also, are you planing on storing anything in the OEM jack compartment? I was thinking you could cut a little door into it and then you would have another cubby since the jack is pretty much worthless at this point.

It does not. When I get home I'll try to post a better pic. The drawer fitment kit covers the bottom part of the mesh (look at the 4th pic) but not the speaker opening itself. I have not noticed a difference in sound.

ntsaint said:
That is some kinda fine. Price?

Sent from my iPhone using IH8MUD

It's one of those "if you have to ask" prices.

Drawers are similar to Slee's. All pricing is in the PDF in the first post link.

EDIT: Slee is now offering the Outback Solutions Drawers for sale as well.

Lots of options as you will see. Even drawers the length of 2 rows of seats.

Last edited:
I thought the rear has AC vents on both sides. (just like the exterior)

jasonbraswell said:
I thought the rear has AC vents on both sides. (just like the exterior)

The unit is on the right side wheelwell. I don't even know if that's what the gap is for, just a guess. I might just need to tweak the install a bit to close the gap.

Are there different options for the locking mechanism? The reason I ask is that I have a set of TruckVault drawers in my work truck. The locking mechanisms are 5-button combination cypher locks with key-overrides.

Overall, I'm not too impressed with the TruckVault, but I LOVE not having to use a key to get in.

Jon you rock I was just on the phone with slee last week about these and was waiting for the ARB catalog for a better look. Question for ya; that slide out on top was that from ARB also? Poise can you post some pics of the attachment points to the 3rd row seat anchors if you have so
E avaable?

Not as bad as i thought, but still very pricey.

Two questions:

1. Do you have a listing of all the parts you ordered?

2. Does the height of the unit fall in line with the 2nd row seats when they are folded down?

Great set up!

The slide I have is the Tembo Tusk Loadspotter stated in the origional post :)
Tembo Tusk - Innovations for the Road Less Traveled

r3run33
The 5th pic is the best one I have of the mount installation. I know that it replaces on of the bolts from the anchor so that It's a very secure mount. The plastic trim pieces are all removed.

ntsaint
I'll get the product list and pics with the seat folded up tonight.

Last edited:
Jon, thanks for the review. These are at the top of my list as far as drawers!

Just updated the first post with the parts list.

That is one sweet storage solution you have Mr. Haris. Looks even classier with the PBR's on deck!

Thanks, am about to do this i think. Gonna put it ahead of the roof rack and the rear bumper cause I think i'll get more use out of it immediately...

You'll never regret the drawer purchase...especially these! My only nit with them (including my copycat African Outback drawers) is the fact they are not 100% slide open drawers; more like 80%. However given the super tough construction that will take serious off-road use/abuse my nit is relatively small in the grand scheme!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom