STOLEN Yet another stolen FJ60, this time its mine! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Every time I see that this thread has been updated I click on it hoping to hear that your 60 has been recovered.

I almost didn't click because I couldn't take the disappointment.

Yay! Glad you have it back!

t

Glad you got her back! So I had an idea I wanted to float for theft recovery. Lojack isn't the best option for me because I move from area to area pretty regularly, so I was looking at the GPS tracking anti-theft products. Instead of buying one of those specialty products and paying a service, why not just take an old iPhone I have laying around, and put it in a tuffy box center console with a power source? Enable the find my iPhone feature, and there you go- GPS tracking. What do you guys think? Even if you don't have one laying around, buying a second hand old iPhone and adding a line to your existing cell plan has to be cheaper than these "security tracking" devices.

Will it be able to get a GPS lock through the tuffy box?

t

I had Toyota make a new key for me so I could re-key all the key cylinders in the truck. No problem, the key was coded on the passenger side key cylinder body. It cost me about 6 bucks. I was surprised though how small the new little bumps on the new key were. Not knowing much about keys and cylinders, I didn't worry though. I took the key and the all the cylinders to a locksmith. I described him my situation of the stolen truck and whatnot and showed him the new key and old key cylinders. I showed him how the new key still works in all the cylinders. Surprisingly, he told me that putting new internal components to the cylinders wouldn't increase the security of the locks because the new key works in the old cylinders. He said that its only worth to change the internals of the cylinders if the new key doesn't work in the old cylinders because this shows that the cylinders are worn out. So I'm still faced with the issue of any old toyota key will work in my truck! GRRRRRR!

Glad to see you got it back. I'm thinking about the GPS thing myself. And re-keying due to old cylinders.

The guys from lostworldexpedition (Luis & Lacey) had their 60 re-key some where in SA on the side of the road by some dude for cheap.... I wonder what type of lock model they used to change keys and locks..... At least you know......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom