Yet another 6bt swap into an HJ60

Hi,

Yeap, it is yet another 6bt swap, and I think this will probably be a bit controversial. Let's begin with the current situation. I have an 84 HJ60 with a 2H engine and H55F transmission. It has 33" with a 4.11 diff ratio. (I was swapped with BJ60 ring and pinion when I installed the TJM lockers). I also refurbished the spring front/back, and we adjusted it like 2" lift and added airbags to the back.

Now, let's continue with the controversial part. I am starting to rebuild a 6bt and will put it into my HJ60. The engine comes from an old dump truck. Firstly, I will not do an SOA. Many threads mention that putting a Cummins in 60 without SOA is impossible. However, I will try. Probably oil pan needs to be modified. And the second one is I will use my H55F with a custom adaptor. Maybe I will use the flywheel of the H55F with an adaptor or modify the current flywheel on the 6bt to fit H55F's clutch. And again, many posts mention that 6bt will destroy H55F. I will configure 6bt, not for the crazy power. Just a little bit powerful from the 2H for the hills and longevity (finding parts for the 2H is getting hard).

Also, I will use my original radiator, add an A/C, add NPR high output 24v alternator with the vacuum pump, and use the power steering pump which comes with the engine.

I think the journey will be quite interesting and gonna be looooooooong, but again, I just wanna try. I have read lots of posts, and I am puzzled and confused. I will post everything about the swap in this thread and explain what I am doing with photos and what is going wrong.

Please, I will appreciate all your comments on why it is a good idea or not or possibilities or I don't know anything.

And last famous words: what could go wrong?

Thanks

Last edited:

doug720

SILVER Star
I will be following your swap. The Cummins is a great engine, I have one in an RV, but they are big - tall, long and heavy. I swapped an Isuzu 4BD2 into my 60 with my H55. The Isuzu engine is a 4 cylinder which is much shorter than 6BT front to rear, which for my swap is good. Both engines have a similar OA height, which makes clearance to the front differential/drivehsaft very close without a 3" plus lift on my swap.

Check out my swap below for pictures and measurement.

This will be an interesting to swap to watch.

I will be following your swap. The Cummins is a great engine, I have one in an RV, but they are big - tall, long and heavy. I swapped an Isuzu 4BD2 into my 60 with my H55. The Isuzu engine is a 4 cylinder which is much shorter than 6BT front to rear, which for my swap is good. Both engines have a similar OA height, which makes clearance to the front differential/drivehsaft very close without a 3" plus lift on my swap.

Check out my swap below for pictures and measurement.

This will be an interesting to swap to watch.
Hi Doug,

You are one of the swaps that inspired me for this task. After I read your journey, I considered the 4BD2. It is really common here. I chose 6bt without any logical explanation, except it has 6 bangers. Sizewise 2H and 6bt are quite the same; however, as you said, height is another world spatially when we talk about the oil pan. I am planning the reverse the oil pan (hump goes back) and shave the right side of the hump for the diff clearance.

Finding a ready adaptor is hard for me. I have to machine from scratch. Is there anything I should pay attention to?

If machining your own adapter plate becomes too much of a task and you have access to a NV4500 and HF2a, you can use the Australian kit I used.

Yeap, you are absolutely right. Machining an adapter plate and an adapter for the flywheel will be a pain, and the best part is I don't know how I am gonna do it. However, finding nv4500 in Turkey is near impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom