Yanmar 6lp (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have this in the shop that I can pick up for very short money, I rebuild these things for a living so labor is good, I know parts can be expensive but we get discounts so not to bad.
I have looked to see if anyone has done this but a quick search did not find me much so does anyone have any insight?
Also what about finding the 1HD Toyota parts I need to make this work?

Any help is appreciated
IMG_20190926_102141.jpg
IMG_20190926_102156.jpg

Dare to be different! (Ill sell you a nice TD gear to go behind that....)

Dan

in all seriousness, I think it would be a great swap. I assume its a #3 bellhousing? Could probably use the same adapters as people doing the 4BT swaps are or build your own. It looks like you will have to move the Turbo and rework the manifold to clear the firewall though. Nothing that cant be fixed with a tig welder and some tubing..

That rear mount turbo is pretty interesting. What’s that used for? Gen setnor something? I wonder if the 1HD-T pump will swap on? That probably has a load based IP?

Also what about finding the 1HD Toyota parts I need to make this work?

Looks to be an HD-FT variant. The turbo mounted on the backside will need to be relocated. You will need to spend hours on TDIY researching part #'s to make it work. All new intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo, cooling, motor mounts (look to be in same location), injection pump (?), fuel lines, vacuum pump, etc, etc. Then wiring. Sh!t ton of work and time.

It might be cheaper to get an FT half-cut even if it was free.

Last edited:
That rear mount turbo is pretty interesting. What’s that used for? Gen setnor something? I wonder if the 1HD-T pump will swap on? That probably has a load based IP?
this is a marine propulsion engine I would think I would try to find a "normal" exhaust manifold and turbo, so wot on the marine engine is 3850 and the toyota is 3400 so I dont know if that or the way the governor works will be a problem

Looks to be an HD-FT variant. The turbo mounted on the backside will need to be relocated. You will need to spend hours on TDIY researching part #'s to make it work. All new intake and exhaust manifolds, turbo, cooling, motor mounts (look to be in different location), injection pump (?), fuel lines, vacuum pump, etc, etc. Then wiring.

It would be cheaper to get an FT half-cut even if it was free. The Yanmar HD-FTE variant might be viable though. But again, probably cheaper to get a half-cut.
as I try to get some information on this I am tending to agree with you but I am going to keep looking :)

Here's a good thread:
euro-1hd-ft-turbo-diesel-h151f-5-speed-manual-lhd-96-usa-swap
Having just finished an HDT rebuild and swap, the more I look at it, the more I think it's doable. Neither fast or cheap though. At least FZ frame mounts are in the right location when you swap mounts.

Having no idea about internals or how many hrs on the engine, I'd guess $10k would be a good budget if you can use the IP, new rad, and NO fancy extras (A/C, I/C, extra boost) except a 3" DIY exhaust. Maybe 300 hrs with assembly & wiring?

Partsouq and Amayama (in that order) are great for new diesel parts. Japan4x4 for more uncommon parts.

Last edited:
Here's a good thread:
euro-1hd-ft-turbo-diesel-h151f-5-speed-manual-lhd-96-usa-swap
Having just finished an HDT rebuild and swap, the more I look at it, the more I think it's doable. Neither fast or cheap though. At least FZ frame mounts are in the right location when you swap mounts.

Having no idea about internals or how many hrs on the engine, I'd guess $10k would be a good budget if you can use the IP and NO fancy extras (A/C, I/C, extra boost) except a 3" DIY exhaust. Maybe 300 hrs with assembly & wiring?

Partsouq and Amayama (in that order) are the best sources for diesel parts - by a long shot.
only 1000hrs on the engine , and thanks for the link!!

Ask this question in the diesel tech section, there'll be more members with specific knowledge.

It's 24 valve, so the Toyota equivelant is a HD-FT, they were used from '95-98 only.
If you're searching on Partsouq, amayama etc, search for an Australian market 98 hdj80

Manifold are still available new, and through amayama are not too hideously priced. Sane with houses and cooling lines etc. Definitely worth doing some homework

I think the IP is probably ok if you run an aftermarket turbo like Gturbo etc that provides really boost and high air flow.
Yanmar pump uses a 13mm plunger (might be 14, can't remember), aftermarket pump upgrades for high output upgrades on the Toyota hdft have been done with a 13mm plunger.
The IP will supply more than enough fuel for a high output road engine.
You'll need a good aftermarket turbo, intercooler and 3" exhaust minimum.

Search the diesel tech section for the threads called
"The official HDT, HZ tuning thread"
"The Gturbo alternative turbo thread"

There's a handful of "the official HD-T, HZ" threads covering intercooler, airbox, tuning, turbo etc. in the diesel tech section

Ask this question in the diesel tech section, there'll be more members with specific knowledge.

It's 24 valve, so the Toyota equivelant is a HD-FT, they were used from '95-98 only.
If you're searching on Partsouq, amayama etc, search for an Australian market 98 hdj80

Manifold are still available new, and through amayama are not too hideously priced. Sane with houses and cooling lines etc. Definitely worth doing some homework

I think the IP is probably ok if you run an aftermarket turbo like Gturbo etc that provides really boost and high air flow.
Yanmar pump uses a 13mm plunger (might be 14, can't remember), aftermarket pump upgrades for high output upgrades on the Toyota hdft have been done with a 13mm plunger.
The IP will supply more than enough fuel for a high output road engine.
You'll need a good aftermarket turbo, intercooler and 3" exhaust minimum.

Search the diesel tech section for the threads called
"The official HDT, HZ tuning thread"
"The Gturbo alternative turbo thread"

There's a handful of "the official HD-T, HZ" threads covering intercooler, airbox, tuning, turbo etc. in the diesel tech section
that is spectacular just the start I was hopping to get!!! I will post this over there too for their input

thanks again!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom