Xped Sleeping Mats (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Does anyone have any experience with this product? I’m looking for a bed that’s not an air mattress. This looks like a “buy once cry once” product. Curious how it fits in the rear of a 200 when inflated (it doesn’t look like it will be an issue) and if it lives up to the hype as an extremely comfortable mattress? Price is $350 for the model shown in the video by the way...

Works extremely well in combination with rear drawers such as ARB.

Either side works since the armrest on the 60% side of the second row can be up or down:

5797B16F-D6CA-4A70-9B3E-A36B8625294D.jpeg
D20BEC6F-C358-4D67-BDBF-3CA7E8457A86.jpeg

Looks good. How’s it to sleep on? I’m a big guy and I’m leaning towards the Duo in the video. Anyone stuffed one back there without drawers and the second row folded up? My third row seats are out of the truck.

Second row folded up reduces usable length a great deal. I’m 6’3” and that would be too short for me. But with drawers, I have over 80 inches and more than enough room.

That was my concern. Transition from drawers to folded (not tumbled) seats isn’t too noticeable then I assume?

That was my concern. Transition from drawers to folded (not tumbled) seats isn’t too noticeable then I assume?

Nope. In fact, the very slight upward slant of the seats is perfect so that your torso is kept comfortably raised. It is not visibly raised. Appears flat...but just enough to help keep away from sleeping “downhill.”

Highly recommended.

BTW, I believe that Exped mattresses will be going on sale at REI on Friday for REi members and maybe others. Big anniversary sale.

BTW, I believe that Exped mattresses will be going on sale at REI on Friday for REi members and maybe others. Big anniversary sale.
Yep, 20% off for members. My girlfriend and I almost pulled the trigger on two when we were in the Kansas City store a couple of weeks ago, glad we held off. Ordering this weekend!

If you're an REI member...you should be receiving a 20% off coupon today (if not already a couple days ago) that you can use as of the 18th. That would save over $40 off the pricey Exped I have...

One other thought... I just picked up Thermarest's answer to the Exped. It's the same width, but three inches longer at a full 80 inches...which fits perfectly in the LC with drawers. This extra length means it extends fully to the back of the front seat, so your pillow isn't falling into a crack, etc. Highly recommend. It's similarly pricey, but it's $20 cheaper than the Exped. I now have both, but am loving this Thermarest. Can't remember the name of-hand, but it's (I think) $209 at REI and is 80"x30" and about 4" thick when inflated.

Another option is the Nemo Nomad. The Exped mats are awesome but we ended up swapping for the Nemos due to the packed-down size.

I have it and have used it for a few years. My first one the valve broke, but REI took it back and gave me a new one. Good customer service for REI.

The mat is the best solution I have found for camping, it ain't your bed at home but its better than anything else I have found for sleeping on the ground.

I have the duo. It's awesome. It literally takes up the entire rear area from the back of the front seats to the tailgate, and from side to side with zero room to spare. I can fold down the second and third row, and have 2 frontrunner boxes between third row and tailgate, and that creates a platform for the mattress. We use it with the dream island double sleeping bag. Game changer for comfort.

We were just about to pull the trigger on two Mega mat 10 xl’s from REI when my girlfriend found them on sale, in stock, with free two day shipping on backcountry.com. for $171 each.
Done. Happy camper!

Total ExPed fan here. I've slept around the world on them and use the MegaMat in my 200 on the drawers/seat or on the roof rack. Quality stuff!

Look into the thermarest Dreamtime. I work in the industry and have used a LOT of camping mattresses. it is by far my favorite.

Exped makes a great mat but they share the same drawback I have with most.. the non-breathable upper layer usually results in me getting sweaty and sticking to the top. Even when using a cocoon liner. It’s worth it when trying to go “fast and light” and fully wrapped inside a mummy bag but for car camping i usually use a quilt of some kind and I’d much rather have a plush top.

The Dreamtime puts the air mattress inside a fleece cover, as well as 2” of memory foam on top of the air mattress.

The problem is they don’t pack down very small due to the sheer bulk of their self-inflating mattress base. A couple years ago I got a manually inflating Dreamtime neo-air that is very small when packed, but I don’t think they make them anymore.

Anyway.. another option.

Last edited:
@cruiseroutfit Kurt are you saying that you sometimes just sleep on the roof rack with an Exped mat?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom