Worlds slowest OBA build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It has taken forever and will continue to be a glacial build, but I have gotten started on my On Board Air (OBA) system. Took me about 1.5 days to build the bracket. There was a lot of install/remove cycles to make sure everything fit.

Compressor: York is an aluminum model 210. They come in Steel housings also. I weighed the steel one without the clutch/pulley and it weighed 23lbs. The aluminum housing without clutch weighs 11 lbs. So as you can see a considerable weight savings. With the aluminum York, new double pulley/clutch and bracket, it weighs 22lbs. The clutch weighs almost as much as the York.

Tensioner Pulley: No idea other than I was walking trough PNP and looking at various v-belt pulleys and spotted this one on an Isuzu PK 4cyl motor. It adjusts with the small bolt on top. That tightens the belt and then you tighten the main bolt to snug the pulley.

Bracket: Homebuilt. A lot of trial and error, but it is made out of 1/4" steel plate. I sand blasted it in a buddies blast cabinet, so that is why it looks a little weird. Aluminum Oxide was the blast media. Could be prettier, but it will be mostly hidden, so I didn't get too crazy with the finish work.

Belt: Made my measurement and went to Napa for the belt. My measurement was off the first time by 1", so I had to go back and get the next size up.

I installed everything and ran it for a week to make sure the belt would stay on and everything else was good to go, of course I didn't put power to the compressor, so it was never under a true load, so we will see. So far so good.

You can see some of my "Speed Holes." I was trying to lighten it up by removing non-essential metal.

I still have to buy the seal kit for my York, it is leaking around the "head" and of course I have to buy all of the other stuff to acutally be able to use it.

Jack

I just picked up a York for mine too. Came off of a CJ-7 with A/C. Hopefully I will be able to mount it before KOH, but I have a TON of stuff to do. I just need a stock SBC bracket or build one.

Where are you buying your replacement parts from?

Did you get a steel or aluminum housing?

Kilby Enterprises for the seals and some of the other items. Got the new clutch from Autozone. No one else carried just the clutch, they wanted to sell a refurbed York. I didn't want to run the risk of getting a steel housing, so that is why I only wanted the clutch.

I'm not sure you will find a "stock" SBC bracket for a York. GM primarily used Harrison compressors (big log looking thing and finally the round centrifigul style).

Jack

Very cool Jack. Out of curiosity, what did the aluminum ones come in? I've never heard of them before.

Looking good!

ken

Thanks

Very cool Jack. Out of curiosity, what did the aluminum ones come in? I've never heard of them before.

It seems, from what I can tell, they were the early versions. Sometime in the late 70's, maybe early 80's, they switched over to steel. Not sure, when or why, but my first one (steel) came off of a 1978 Ford Pickup. My aluminum came off of a 1973 Ford Pickup. Not sure what the Jeeps had, I looked at an 85 Grand Wagoneer in PNP, and it looked like it might have been aluminum. I would say the best thing, besides making sure you are getting the "210" model (10 ci.), is carry a small magnet to make sure. A magnet will stick to the steel ones. The problem is most of them are filthy, so it is hard to tell just by looking at them.

Jack

It's about freaking time....nice job :D

Could you please explain why you want the slowest OBA? :flipoff2:

Kidding aside it looks very nice any pictures under the hood?

It's about freaking time....nice job :D

Bite me.:flipoff2:

Could you please explain why you want the slowest OBA? :flipoff2:

Kidding aside it looks very nice any pictures under the hood?

Once I get the york rebuilt, I will take some of it under the hood. Fits very nice, if I do say so myself. :hillbilly:

Jack

Now that you have your's done ;) can you figure mine out? :D

Did you get a steel or aluminum housing?

Kilby Enterprises for the seals and some of the other items. Got the new clutch from Autozone. No one else carried just the clutch, they wanted to sell a refurbed York. I didn't want to run the risk of getting a steel housing, so that is why I only wanted the clutch.

I'm not sure you will find a "stock" SBC bracket for a York. GM primarily used Harrison compressors (big log looking thing and finally the round centrifigul style).

Jack

It's the aluminum one. I was figuring you would say Kilby, just wondering if there was any others.

I am almost positive that I have a link saved somewhere from MUD where the guy said he got a stock bracket from GM. I could be wrong, but I am almost certain that I read that, I am pretty sure that's why I saved the link. I will have to check around my computer and see if I can dig it up.

Hopefully I can get it mounted here shortly!

Now that you have your's done ;) can you figure mine out? :D

I thought my job was to punch holes in your ideas...

It's the aluminum one. I was figuring you would say Kilby, just wondering if there was any others.

I am almost positive that I have a link saved somewhere from MUD where the guy said he got a stock bracket from GM. I could be wrong, but I am almost certain that I read that, I am pretty sure that's why I saved the link. I will have to check around my computer and see if I can dig it up.

Hopefully I can get it mounted here shortly!

Very cool. I don't know of any other place to get rebuild kits and the air fittings on top to run normal air stuff. No one else wants to play.

That would be cool if there is such a bracket.

Jack

I thought my job was to punch holes in your ideas...

Very cool. I don't know of any other place to get rebuild kits and the air fittings on top to run normal air stuff. No one else wants to play.

That would be cool if there is such a bracket.

Jack

That's what I thought about Kilby. I don't think I will need any replacement parts for it, just the OBA stuff. I saw it running, and running good on the *eep before he pulled it off. I asked him what he was gonna do with it....he says I dunno, nothing I guess. I asked if I could have it, he says sure....When it is in my cruiser and I'm about to head home, I say, "thanks for the sweet compressor for my OBA set up!!" His jaw dropped because he already turned it loose! hahaha! Didn't even know what he had!!

I still have to find that link. It could have been a modified bracket from a GM product, I can't recall.

GM did a lot of weird things in their industrial applications so I would start looking there.

The nice thing about GM is they made about a billion different versions of their product so you should be able to source a lot of factory brackets that you can build with.

I still have to find that link. It could have been a modified bracket from a GM product, I can't recall.
Could it have been this one?
Saginaw Power Steering Pump Mount Land Cruiser 1F & 2F - JTOutfitters
SAGPUMPMOUNT.jpg

Their price has shot up since I bought one, I think I paid around $75 for mine.

I know it is intended for power steering but looking at mine I think a York would fit in the same position on a de-smoged truck. It would be worthless on an 80 or 60 but it might work for you FJ40.

I found it, but I was wrong. The guy had built his own. He was LOOKING for a stock bracket, but no dice. In another tech article, I found the fun little sentence that said, THERE ARE NO MASS PRODUCED BRACKETS FOR SBC'S FOR YORKS....:crybaby:

Maybe wishful thinking is why I thought I recalled that! The industrial products might be a good line though. Maybe I can look through a few of the old Chevy's out on the bombing ranges and come up with something. If not, no biggie, I'll build one.

Ok, Kilby enterprises just made a lot of money out of me. Parts are on the way.

Gotta reseal the York, pick up a few fittings and hoses and I should be aired.

Oh yeah, I have to order my (factory) cable to be able to control the throttle on my 80 so that I can throttle up for airing up. I love it when the factory builds those kind of things. :clap:

Toyota OEM hand throttle

Installation Instructions

Part #:TOY1003 - $51.00
Fits '91-'97 Land Cruiser
Keeping rpm's up when winching can be a challenge when you are outside the vehicle. The Toyota factory hand throttle is an ideal addition to any trail vehicle. Being a factory part, it installs in minutes to any 1991-1997 80 Series.

Jack

Without pictures it's just talk. :grinpimp:

I hope that goads you into posting up some pictures so we can actually see this alleged OBA system.

Without pictures it's just talk. :grinpimp:

I hope that goads you into posting up some pictures so we can actually see this alleged OBA system.

:meh: What OBA system???:hillbilly::hillbilly:

I will, when there is something exciting to photograph.

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom