Womp sound is the rear, need advise quick (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ElPolloBlanco

SILVER Star
Threads
Website
instagram.com
Okay, so a while ago I took the air ride out and put springs in. While doing that I noticed my rear brakes needed to be replaced. So while changing the brakes I noticed the rotor was scored really badly on the inside of the passenger side.

I decided to swap rotors and brakes at the same time. But, but my Moronic butt forgot to take the parking break off and when trying to get the rotors off I totally jacked up the parking brake pins on the drivers side I straightened the bent one) This only happened on the drivers side cause after getting the rotor off the hard way I realized what had happened.

Well I got everything together and heard a womp womp womp in the rear. I took it in for an oil change, cause why change your own oil if it’s only $15 more and I don’t have to get rid of oil? Toyota recommended I get a new rear wheel bearing. And it made sense when combined with the noise.

Order parts and fast forward to today. I figured I’d do both sides cause I’m an over achiever. Passenger side was easy. Divers side. Parking brake not set, I had to use a bolt push through the rotor to get it off. I noticed a lot of break dust inside the rotor too.

The axle spun just fine with all the crap off. I’m thinking the bearings are actually fine, it was just the brake not tensioned correctly on that side causing the noise. Could this be?

Currently both axels are at Toyota waiting on parts before they press the new bearing hub assembly on. I did not know the collars would need to be cut off so I had to order new ones, that’s why they are waiting. Should I tell them not to do the install and just put it all back together and redo the brake, or have them go ahead and press the new bearings on? It would save me about $200.

It seems like you have a parking brake shoe dragging to me.

Sounds like a parking brake dragging for sure. If you are that close to a bearing refresh and you have more than 150k on the rear bearings you aren't hurting anything to have them do that. I would pay to have them do the ebrake and reassembe, because I HATE doing the ebrake lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom