Wobbly wheel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey team. So I was getting some light wobble when I turned the steering wheel *very slightly* to the right. I lifted the front end and sure enough there's a decent amount of play in the left wheel when pushing from the 12 and 6 o'clock position. The trucks been in a lot of rivers and mud recently so I went ahead and pulled the hub apart (again - only been about 15k km's since last bearings) and did a bearing job. Repacked with grease of course, torqued the axle nut, everything like normal. No change to the play. I mean there's a lof of play here, not like a hair or so, more like a good half inch of wobble. I spoke to my buddy and he said nah a bad birfield wouldn't cause that kind of play... Anyways, any ideas? I'm a bit lost here.

Does the knuckle wobble as well? The only other place I can think of would be trunnion bearings if the wheel bearings are nice and tight.

Hey Max

I was gonna suggest that the wheel wasn't seated properly on the hub or the wheel studs weren't driven through the hub uniformly, but since you have play at the knuckle, this is likely not the case.

Does it wabble in a predictable way? i.e. throughout a single revolution, the same spot always sticking out and the other sticking in (like if something is bent or mis-seated), or is it more like a random wabble (like what you expect from a loose junction somewhere?)

Also worth looking into: your steering bearings/kingpin. As you know these two bearing operate under a specific preload. If the preload is lower than spec, the hub could rock against the axis of the bearings, which may be interpreted as a wabble. IDK, just thinking out loud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom