Wits' End Anderson SB50 PowerPole Custom Mounts

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Hopefully this doesn't come here to die a quick death since its out of the 80's section but figured I should place it where this belongs. After making up a few kits for local mudders I've decided to start making more complete kits for those that are interested. This particular project came about because I had to fabricate a quick mount for an Anderson SB50 quick disconnect for an ARB fridge. I HATE cigarette lighter adapters. They suck, all of them. So Anderson to the rescue but there were no good mounts on the market that did what I needed it to especially for the 80 Series and for rear drawer setups.

What I wanted to show first was the four options of mounts. One is flat mount and the other is flushmount. Both of these will be available with a straight tie down or with a 90º tie down. So what you think. I am getting protos made up in the next day or so and could really use some feedback before I go to far. I'm also making up some wiring kits but I still have a few details to work through.

Here is the SolidWorks screencaps of what I'm making (these will be laser cut and CNC bent out of stainless steel and powder coated black):
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.10.35 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.10.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 3.11.19 AM.png

lol!

Well I'm still trying to finalize what the complete product is actually going to be :p
I mean don't get me wrong, I love all the cool widgets you're coming up with but baselining and maint has to take priority on my 80. Plus I haven't completely fulfilled my end of the bargain when my wife let me go get my 80 last year. I had/have to get rid of a few other vehicles before I was allowed to do anything cool with the 80.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

I mean don't get me wrong, I love all the cool widgets you're coming up with but baselining and maint has to take priority on my 80. Plus I haven't completely fulfilled my end of the bargain when my wife let me go get my 80 last year. I had/have to get rid of a few other vehicles before I was allowed to do anything cool with the 80.
When I bought the LX, it was literally 10 years before I could do ANYTHING to it, I feel your pain ;)

The Anderson connectors are definitely the way to go.
From the pic I understand the single bolt fixture to the side. The SB50's are sturdy connections, people tend to pull hard on them and wiggle it to connect and disconnect. Will the mount tab not break off?

The front flush would be mounted to what type of surface? The concern is physical mounting location. Should someone use the plastic side panel it will rip out of the plastic without a backing plate.

The next thing is the power cable on a fridge slide is often a challenge and gets stuck in the slides etc. perhaps an added spring to route the cable in. Thus spring mounts to back of fridge and rear of fridge slide.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

@zona The material will be 14gauge stainless steel, if you can break it from wiggling the little plastic connector then you are either way too angry when you are unplugging or you are trying to hang a cylinder head off of it :flipoff2:

Not quite sure what you mean for the second comment. It's made out of stainless and will be bolted to whatever you want to bolt it to. Some will bolt it to a bumper. Some will bolt it to their drawers. Others will find someplace interesting. The flush mount option still uses the tab but also allows you to make it flush mount on a set of drawers if you wanted to once you cut out a hole to fit it.

I have another solution for the fridge cable that I'm playing with instead of using the long spring ;)

I like the flush mount, but for the flat mount what about a fastener hole on each side so you could pull on the cord without fear of bending/messing up the single hold down point if it was attached to something less robust like a plastic interior panel?

Maybe a single design with snap off flat mount wings but that might go against your pretty finishes :p

tractorpole

SILVER Star
I like the flush mount idea, it would be great to add it to the custom cargo drawer I have planned. But would probably find uses for both types.

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Years ago I used to built custom robotics and prototype machines for an automotive supplier in the Detroit area. We used this type of wire conduit when wires needed to transition from a moving part to a non moving part.....much like drawers in the back of a Land Cruiser. ;)

Lapp Online Catalog: GUIDE FOR THE DESIGN & SELECTION OF CABLE MANAGEMENT & TRACK: Various Types Cable Tracks
So this is what I was originally thinking but couldn't find anything at a much smaller scale. So then I thought about remaking the plug using retractile coil like this:

WB8LBZ

GOLD Star
SILVER Star
Hi All,
I use the heck out of the 30 Amp size for connecting my ham gear. I had a chance to buy some 175 Amp for making quick disconnect jumper cables. This is the site I use to buy all kinds of Anderson Powerpole stuff: http://www.powerwerx.com/powerpole-accessories I have no financial interest in this company, just a satisfied user.

Larry in El Paso

Last edited:

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Just playing with hardware. Going all stainless since this could wind up being and exterior mounting. Trying to decide between pan head or flat machine screws.

The issue with going flat machine screws is you are stuck with the direction of the tab. You can't flip it because the flat machine screws require a countersink so it's just another mill process and slightly thicker material for the screw head.

Any input?
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Top Bottom