Wiring 220V outlet in Garage - Checking Panel capabaility (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I have a main panel and a sub panel in the garage. The sub panel is right above were I want to put in the 220 V outlet. I know how to wire the outlet in, just validating the capability of my system

I can see from the main breaker the sub panel is 95 AMPs, or at 80% rating = 76 AMPs at 220V. Garage doors, living room lighting and the second garage feed off this panel. I want it sized so I can run a 220V welder so thinking 50 Amp breaker. Thinking that is likely OK. Need 6 Gauge 4 wire. Connect Black and Red and copper ground, no need to connect white neutral

So 200 Amp Main Panel with 95 Amp Sub Panel wanting to feed a 50 Amp circuit off it for a welder. There are 4 blank spots in the sub panel. I am thinking I am good

Tell me if I missed something

Capture.JPG

There seem to be several 50 amp outlets to choose from with slightly different prongs. Guessing those are for ranges and dryers etc

is this the one I should be using for a Welder and potentially in a few years a car charging station?

Not seeing the pic of the outlet I thought I posted last night. Is this the right one?
1600962325703.png

The two major variations of 240V plug/sockets are 3-wire and 4-wire. The four wire versions include a neutral so that you have 240V and 120V - like an electric dryer or range where you have the 240V heating elements and then 120V controls, lights, etc.

From there, the plug configurations are for amperage. The one above is a 50A socket. Here are the typical variations:
1024px-NEMA_simplified_pins.svg_.png

The NEMA 6-50 is what you have above. The NEMA L6-50 is the basically the same, but a twist lock version. The NEMA 10-50 is basically what they used before the 4-wire NEMA 14-50 - it uses the neutral as a ground. You'll still find them in older homes (they're grandfathered), but should generally be updated to the 4-wire versions.

Not seeing the pic of the outlet I thought I posted last night. Is this the right one?
View attachment 2444897
Those are the ones I use. Matches the plug that was on my Miller 251 when new so that's what I've got everything else set up to use as well.

Often called welder/RV/industrial plugs/outlets. For wall-mount I put the ground up so the cord hangs straight down. There are also surface mount receptacles but I don't like the orientation.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom