Wiper motor from 80 on a 62? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi I'm hoping someone can tell me if a wiper motor from an 80 series will fit on my 62. One of the brushes in my motor was so worn that while it was running the brush fell into the motor and ripped a bar off the comutator. I can't find a reasonably priced replacement, so I'm hoping one from an 80 series might fit (I have a friend with a spare) any other tips would be appreciated.

Not without mounting bracket modifications. I attempted this but decided it was not worth it and returned to the 62 motor.

Not without mounting bracket modifications. I attempted this but decided it was not worth it and returned to the 62 motor.
It does wire up the same though? All I need is the actual motor. The housing the bolts to the firewall on mine is okay. And i made brushes that fit already. So really it's just the armature that has to fit. Any idea if the 80 series armature housing fits to the 62 "gearbox?" Housing?

I upgraded my motor on a HJ61 to one from a camery. Needed to make a new bracket but bolts up to the linkages and works with preexisting wiring.

Not 100% sure, basically I just took the standard motor to a pick a part wreckers and pulled a few different motors off various Toyotas. Seems the spline size/length is pretty standard across 80s/90s so just found a slightly more compact version (I was trying to fit some extra parts in the engine bay and the standard wiper motor was in the way. The particular camery one I grabbed had a shorter offset which means I could mount it closer to the firewall. Gave me the extra 10-15mm of clearance I needed).

Not 100% sure, basically I just took the standard motor to a pick a part wreckers and pulled a few different motors off various Toyotas. Seems the spline size/length is pretty standard across 80s/90s so just found a slightly more compact version (I was trying to fit some extra parts in the engine bay and the standard wiper motor was in the way. The particular camery one I grabbed had a shorter offset which means I could mount it closer to the firewall. Gave me the extra 10-15mm of clearance I needed).
Okay thank you so much. So you just made a plate to bolt it to the firewall and that's all it took to make it function?

I'll see if I can get some pics this weekend...

Yeah all the motors are basically the same design. Just the trick is getting it aligned so the park position is correct.

I'll see if I can get some pics this weekend...

Yeah all the motors are basically the same design. Just the trick is getting it aligned so the park position is correct.
I see. So you just pivot the motor until the wipers make a proper stroke then. But the strokes are pretty well the same length? By that I mean that the wipers could go past the windshield basically if the motor has to long a stroke. But you think for the most part they're the same though?

The motor doesn't spin forward and backwards, it only spins one direction. The arm linkages transfer that rotation in moving the arms backwards and forwards across the screen... it doesn't matter which direction the motor is bolted on at...

The only critical part is the motor is at the "park" position of rotation (it has a sensor inside the motor itself). If you bolt it up say at the half way point then the wipers will work normally on low and high speed but when you turn them off the may not be at the bottom of the screen... they might be half way up or whatever.

So in the past I've wired them up, let the motor cycle through and turn it off. After the motor stops I move the wipers to the bottom of the screen and then attach it to the spline...

If you get it wrong it's easy to readjust.

The motor doesn't spin forward and backwards, it only spins one direction. The arm linkages transfer that rotation in moving the arms backwards and forwards across the screen... it doesn't matter which direction the motor is bolted on at...

The only critical part is the motor is at the "park" position of rotation (it has a sensor inside the motor itself). If you bolt it up say at the half way point then the wipers will work normally on low and high speed but when you turn them off the may not be at the bottom of the screen... they might be half way up or whatever.

So in the past I've wired them up, let the motor cycle through and turn it off. After the motor stops I move the wipers to the bottom of the screen and then attach it to the spline...

If you get it wrong it's easy to readjust.
That's great I'll have to take a trip to the wreckers. Thank you so much for the help. I think this will work for me

If you do remember to cut off the plug from the donor vehicle as it'll probably use a different connector.

I'd recommend taking your faulty motor with you just to check the spline size is the same.

As I said I'll try and take some pictures this weekend

If you do remember to cut off the plug from the donor vehicle as it'll probably use a different connector.

I'd recommend taking your faulty motor with you just to check the spline size is the same.

As I said I'll try and take some pictures this weekend
Okay that's really nice of you thanks for your help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom