Wiper Blade PSA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I needed new wiper blades for the '15 LC, stopped by the dealer and picked up a set of OEM (supposedly) blades including the assembly. Not just the refills. I had previously read

New Wipers OE vs Aftermarket

and was convinced OEM was the way to go. The pics in the thread show the entire assemblies coming from a box, not the new fancy packaging I got mine in. Mine were "Sight Line Wiper Blades" but clearly had the Toyota logo on them. They looked and installed exactly like the OEM ones that were originally on the truck. They also cost $19 each as had been previously reported. That's where the similarities stopped. These were awful. Driving around in 3 hours of Houston torrential downpour left them clunking at each stop and screeching across the windshield.

Took them back to the dealer (Tejas Toyota) and they eventually took them back but only after I had to dig my old ones out of their trash and show them that 14 month old blades in dire need of replacement were quieter than 3 hour old blades.

The parts guy while begrudgingly processing my return told me I just needed to give them more time to break in. Apparently using them for hours in a driving rain wasn't enough. B.S.

To the point though, I looked on my parts receipt and it referenced an "OLD PART #" so I'm wondering if recently Toyota has replaced their blades and the quality has dropped off significantly. Going with Bosch Icons for now and no issues. Wanted to give folks a heads up before they spend $40 on junk if in fact the parts have changed. If they haven't, unlucky me just got a bad pair.

I think you got a bad pair. I just put on a new set picked up at the dealer and was impressed with how quiet they are and how well they worked. My last pair were original and they were making a ton of noise and doing a terrible job, but the new ones are great. I have had good luck with Bosch and Goodyear as well though, but I wasn't impressed by the RainX brand (on other cars).

I wondered same... Older thread contained lots of recommendations to choose only the refills. I did so and am not impressed. Replacement was definitely more difficult than clipping on new a new assembly and the quality of the wipe is lacking. Oh well, live and learn.

Make sure you get the Japanese made replacements. Mine come in plastic packaging with Japanese symbols ALL over it. Toyota also sells Chinese made junk at a mark up and calls it OEM.

I've found that wiping down the blades with a silicone lubricant every other week helps keep the blades nice and fresh. I know this doesn't pertain to the shi**y wipers, but just a tip for future pairs.

I think Costco has some on sale right now. Obviously not OEM, but I was thinking about stocking up because the price was right.

Anyone know what brand these are. Pulled them off my 13LC. Front blades.

IMG_1919.JPG

^^ Those are Denso low profile wipers based on the markings and the contour. Supposedly Denso is what Toyota puts on from the factory.

24"
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-160-3124-Style-Profile-Wiper/dp/B002Y30HPY

22"
https://www.amazon.com/Denso-160-3122-Style-Profile-Wiper/dp/B002Y37K4U
Thanks.
Now I wish I would have purchased those instead. I like the way you can see the hooks.
I went with: Michelin 8522 Stealth Ultra Windshield Wiper Blade with Smart Technology. We'll see how they perform.

IMG_1920.JPG

Yeah let us know how they work. The factory ones are good and as with anything they could be better too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom