Winterizing with fluid film? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My question is less about whether or not I should coat my undercarriage with something like fluid film before the snows come… it’s more about what it’s like to work on the car afterwards. Will I be dealing with some sticky residue or other such mess once spring comes and it’s time to get under the 80 and do stuff again? I’d love to hear from those who have actually used Fluid film

I spray my LX450 from tip to tail every October with Fluid Film. Yes, it makes working on the truck afterwards dirty and greasy. BUT, and this is huge, bolts come out easily and the underside does not rust.
Yes it smells, especially when burning overspray off the exhaust, but it smells like "my truck won't rust".
The only issue I've ever had was when I had a fabricator weld up the cracks in my frame by the steering box. It took some extra time to clean out the frame rail so he could get a good bead going.

It will be fine. You don't need to overdo it either. I've been doing it since I bought this truck a few years ago, and I don't think I've ever gone to work on it and had a thought about fluid film.

I've had to do plenty of cleaning prep before jobs that had nothing to do with fluid film

Even if it were a slight annoyance, working with rust is far worse, as we all know...

If you don't have a lift is it possible to do a decent job with Fluid Film using their aerosol cans or forget that and find someone with compressor and lift? Not easy around London, UK.

I'd rather have grease on my hands than deal with rust falling on your face while you work on your car. Wear gloves, problem solved.

Fluid film smells like 3 day old dropped ass but the smell diminishes in a couple of days. I haven’t noticed lots of drips on my garage floor. I always wear eye pro and better to have FF dripping slightly than a rusting frame and components. All my HO.

I did mine this year. Dont spray it in a garage, the concrete will absorb it.
Good point. Maybe I'll use a drop cloth or 2 under the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom