Winter is coming - block heater installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Concrete: I read your original post(s) and chuckled only b/c it sounded like something I would do. I even commented in this thread last year that I should order a spare as mine has been in use since I bought the truck new over 11 years ago (well, winters only).

I clearly cursed myself and the truck :crybaby:

I'll call your source tomorrow if I get the chance - oddly, my cruiser block heater search was interrupted by my home hot water heater failing and dumping about 25 gallons of water onto my basement floor via the T&P valve. I'm pretty sure my spouse will demand a water heater in the house b/4 the cruiser gets a block heater :)

Napa Part # 605-1454

To make a long story short I found out that Napa Auto Parts carries the same engine block heater mentioned in the first post. Part number is 605-1454. The element has the same info stamped on it: "LR20976 400W-115V Made in Canada". I picked it up at Napa's store in North Pole, Alaska for $37.85. The pictures posted here confirmed the match. Thank you all. By the way the employee said the additional information on his computer recommended the heater be installed on the drivers side front plug with the element at the 12 o'clock position. Also, no grease was included but the instructions said vasoline could be used during installation to prevent damage to the o-ring.

Next up is heated seats.

By the way the employee said the additional information on his computer recommended the heater be installed on the drivers side front plug with the element at the 12 o'clock position.

The Lexus 450 instructions here in Canada say the same. However, they do forget to mention how easy it isn't to get to that plug :D

Edit: BTW, these were still available from Toyota Canada when I checked last week in case anyone wants to stock up

nice thread timing considering it's spring time now!! haha, i wanted this block heater in several times this past winter. Maybe i'll get around to it this year.

I'm surprised these things don't fall off more often...

*old thread warning*

Just an update to this old, but timely, thread. I was replacing my PHH last weekend and staring right at my block heater (DS rear plug just in front of the PHH). I ordered two replacement heaters from NAPA (figured a spare was a good thing) but they never arrived and I didn't want to wait on the PHH.

I finally broke down and emailed NAPA (I ordered online) regarding my missing order and promptly received the response below:

-----Original Message-----
From: Gene_Schield@genpt.com [mailto:Gene_Schield@genpt.com]
Sent: Monday, February 09, 2009 1:58 PM
To: Miescha
Subject: Your NAPAonline order

Miescha,

I apologize for your confusion. Our records indicate that your order was
cancelled due to a factory back order. We were unable to locate the parts
to complete your order, and therefore had to cancel.
I apologize for the inconvenience and for not having sent an email sooner,
alerting you of this policy. Please know that we appreciate that you chose
NAPAonline for your auto parts needs. I hope that you will call on us
again if and when the need arises. Thank you for your patience and
understanding.

Gene Schield
Customer Service Supervisor

The email is nice and all (I would have appreciated it sooner and without my need to go looking for the status of the order) but that leaves me scr*wed regarding my block heater. Oh well, I guess I'll call one of the Canadian dealers mentioned here on Mud.

FYI the part I ordered was 605-1454 for $35.99 before tax and shipping, plus part 605-1514 for $22.99 (seperate cord for the heater with heatwrap on it - I needed to replace just the cord on another vehicle that suffered a 'drive-off' while still plugged-in).

I recently joined the "head gasket club" and being a "do it while your in there" kind of guy, I pulled the motor (rear-main seal and tranny seals needed replacing).

Seizing the opertunity to examine all of the frost plugs close up, I noticed that the #4 cyl. DS hole (behind your fuel filter) is cast slightly prouder than the rest. I removed the plug and fit the heater with the element at 6 oclock (pointing down). I believe that this is exactly where Mr T intended to put this unit. The hole has a larger surface (longer barrel) for the Oring to seat on, the element sits a full 12mm from the cylinder wall (center of the water jacket). It is positioned in the center of the engine for even heating and is not on the hot exhaust side.

It is not going to be easy to get at but if you combine the install with taking off your intake to clean up your injector rail, replacing the fuel filter and your PHH within a couple of step 6s you will have it done.

Good luck.

I recently joined the "head gasket club" and being a "do it while your in there" kind of guy, I pulled the motor (rear-main seal and tranny seals needed replacing).

Seizing the opertunity to examine all of the frost plugs close up, I noticed that the #4 cyl. DS hole (behind your fuel filter) is cast slightly prouder than the rest. I removed the plug and fit the heater with the element at 6 oclock (pointing down). I believe that this is exactly where Mr T intended to put this unit. The hole has a larger surface (longer barrel) for the Oring to seat on, the element sits a full 12mm from the cylinder wall (center of the water jacket). It is positioned in the center of the engine for even heating and is not on the hot exhaust side.

It is not going to be easy to get at but if you combine the install with taking off your intake to clean up your injector rail, replacing the fuel filter and your PHH within a couple of step 6s you will have it done.

Good luck.

I'm getting ready to do this, since the head will be off for HG replacement. Here is the docs I have:
block heater info1.jpg
block heater info 2.jpg

Kind of funny but when i had my block machined the machinist handed me the old freeze plug that i hammered thru to install this freeze plug and forgot about. He handed it and said "i don't know how the heck that was in there from the factory?" i told him that i had done it and forgot about it. So just fyi, my freeze plug sat in my motor for a few years and at least 50,000 miles with no ill effect.

FYI.... Looks like NAPA still carries the block heaters. Got one being sent to my local store now.

*EDIT* I spoke too soon. Just got a call from the store, saying that the MANUFACTURER discontinued the part... Bummer.

NapaBlockHeater.jpg

Last edited:
Ok guys, after digging into this, there are PLENTY of block heaters out there that I belive will work with our blocks...
After all, a block heater isn't rocket science, and a frost plug hole isn't either.

Weren't these engines designed after the old GM 300 straight 6? Thought I heard that somewhere, and this would seem to support that:

NEW GENUINE GM 1 3/8" BLOCK HEATER & CORD 70" CORD | eBay

Sure looks like it would fit to me... Numbers (LR20976) even match up.

Oh, and what about this one?

ENGINE HEATER BLOCK HEATER FROST PLUG TYPE | eBay

Says it's for a darn tractor!

NOW, there is a difference between the two. I believe that the element shape is the same, but one is a 1.5" OD and the other is a 1.375" OD.

Anyone on here care to take a measurement of one of theirs? That would settle this, and give us many other options for block heaters.

You can also find that same style element in 600watt, 400watt, 750watt.

*EDIT* It seems that the freeze plugs in the block are 50mm (2"). Can anyone confirm that?

Last edited:
I'm getting ready to do this, since the head will be off for HG replacement. Here is the docs I have:

Both the heaters i got had similar instructions, although for some reason they had you installing on one side for the LX450 and the other for the LC, maybe model year or PAIR present. I believe they try to make it easy also thus the USDriverside frontward hole.

When you get a look at the frost plug holes and compare them you will come to the same conclusion I did....that No4 Cyl driverside hole is the spot........but not easy to get to. Head off it is as easy as it gets.

I have a pic. I will try and find it

I installed it in the DS front, today. I think it should work great, I'll know in December. :)

I think it was off ebay? It has been a long time ago that I bought it, been sitting on my shelf for a few years...

Lol, ok...anyone else?

you can call a canadian toyota dealer and get them to ship it. I had that option when i realized the one i purchased off Ebay was for the camery instead of the cruiser.... one damn digit!! haha

Will do... I also want one for my camry. Odds on my order getting totally fubar'd lol

I'm about to install mine. I need O ring grease though. Can you get it in little blister packs like brake lube?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom