Windshield trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those rubber cover strips seem to be missing quite often. I went looking in the parking lot to find a truck that had them to take a photo. I did, but it doesn't do me much good. I've combed through these threads, the shop manual, and looked at the part, and I still can't figure out the orientation to pop that L-shaped trim into the channel. L shape towards the glass or towards the front of the truck? L leg in back (hidden) or towards the middle of the truck (visible)?

Funny, I searched for the same thing and never found a diagram that left me feeling 100% comfortable with the proper orientation so here is what I did. I'll do my best to explain.

If you feel inside the rain channel portion of the garnish (the trim riveted to the a-pillar) there is a groove that runs along the upper portion of that channel (upper = towards the sky). The part of the rubber trim with the L leg seems to fit best in that upper groove. I installed the L - leg so that it was hidden or facing the a-pillar. That leaves the small rib exposed running along the upper portion of the garnish and the portion of the trim without the L - leg will secure closest to the glass.

I tried it a number of ways and this orientation seemed to work best and made the most sense. Clear as mud right?

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if someone has the specifics on how to remove and replace the side trims of the windshield.

Situation... 2005 LX-470, only owner. Developed a water leak from the top left corner (driver side). Water drips on my thigh. Pulled down headliner and found the leak coming through the windshield. I could see the water drops coming in. Saw little brown spots. Hmm? Rust? Went up to the roof. Lifted the upper trim and whala! Rust in that corner! Water coming in from under the rubber underneath the windshield. Guys at Safelite are very good. Used them on my 2013 BMW and did a great job. Can remove the glass at home, let me repair that corner, and come back the next day for replacement. Very affordable price. But,... I want to try to patch it up before replacing a factory-installed windshield, and see how long I can stretch it. I know it will be a matter of time. After rust starts, there is nothing that can stop it, unless the area is repaired.

I want to be able to remove the trim, clean up the rusted area, and apply urethane, and some kind of marine caulk, to stop the water from sipping in. It is not much really, but it is in a very stubborn corner, and it got under the windshield. But I don't know how to remove that stupid trim. Do I just pull it? Where are those rivets? I cannot see them? Do I have to pull the thin rubber off first to see the rivets underneath? After I see the rivets, how do I remove the trim? Break the head of the rivet? How do I install the new trim? I've heard of some screws, really? The guys at Safelite tell me they use rivets again.

Or, maybe I should just let the guys from Safelite replace the glass. I may still need to buy the new trim. I bent it too much pulling the top part. I was able to re-bend it a bit, but still had to glue it down with some weights for it to stay down, until the glue dried. It has held fine so far after a week.

From my 2003 LC, YMMV.

75543-60020 side molding (x2)
75531-60030 top molding
75534-60050 garnish
75533-60060 garnish
90269-04053 rivet (x8)

Does anyone know if the top moulding sits underneath the glass, or just on the edge? I want to remove mine with the windshield on, but need to put it back on. I don't want to pull it too hard, afraid that it will break, leaving a strip underneath the glass.

I seem to be having the same issue, but I'm not sure which molding, or garnish or trim this piece is. It came out while on the freeway and wont stay in place. It appears the bottom piece has broken off which was what held it in place. Anyone know which part this is and if I can replace it myself??

https://goo.gl/photos/KVJ6EF3gRNffF5Lw7

The other side aint lookin too hot either...

Last edited:
It looks like the 75543-60020, or 75531-60030. One is the left side the other one is the right side--I don't recall which one is which. Yours looks like it's missing the bottom part, which is a rubber piece in a triangular shape. Inside of this one goes the "garnish", 75533-60060, or 75534-60050, that covers the 4 rivets. It appears as if they installed it with rivets that came loose, or screws, that came loose.

I installed mine with the OEM rivets and the bottom one is loose, but the others are firm. I think I expanded the hole when I took out the previous ones.

It looks like the 75543-60020, or 75531-60030. One is the left side the other one is the right side--I don't recall which one is which. Yours looks like it's missing the bottom part, which is a rubber piece in a triangular shape. Inside of this one goes the "garnish", 75533-60060, or 75534-60050, that covers the 4 rivets. It appears as if they installed it with rivets that came loose, or screws, that came loose.

I installed mine with the OEM rivets and the bottom one is loose, but the others are firm. I think I expanded the hole when I took out the previous ones.

Thank you. Yes the triangular part was on there the first time it came out and its missing now. https://goo.gl/photos/gZKqAvaDpwrPnzYu5

So I will need the left side (drivers side) piece (75543-60020 OR 75531-60030) and the garnish (75533-60060 OR 75534-60050) in order to replace, and I will need to install these parts using the OEM rivets (90269-04053)? Is the triangular piece a part of one of the previously mentioned parts? Can I install this myself with a standard rivet gun?

Yes, this is something you can do yourself. But, you need the right tools, the right jigs, and the right level of patience.

You can use the standard rivet tool you find at your local Harbor Freight, but you will need a DIYers jig to make it work properly. You also need to protect the windshield underneath the tool when pressing them in place. You also need to be patient when taking out the old rivets, so that you don't enlarge the hole in the trim the car post. Otherwise, will need to discard the rivets and use larger screws to keep the trim in place.

There is another thread that has all this with pictures. Let me see if I find it and post the link.

Yes, this is something you can do yourself. But, you need the right tools, the right jigs, and the right level of patience.

You can use the standard rivet tool you find at your local Harbor Freight, but you will need a DIYers jig to make it work properly. You also need to protect the windshield underneath the tool when pressing them in place. You also need to be patient when taking out the old rivets, so that you don't enlarge the hole in the trim the car post. Otherwise, will need to discard the rivets and use larger screws to keep the trim in place.

There is another thread that has all this with pictures. Let me see if I find it and post the link.

Thanks again! Fortunately there are no old rivets in place on the drivers side to remove, and it doesnt look as if the holes were enlarged. My LC is a 2000 that I bought at the end of 2014 with only 49,500 miles on it so I assume the windshield is the original factory model but Im not sure now. However the moldings are now 17 years old so it may just have failed on its own?

Are these same parts used on the LX?

Part numbers please!

Disclaimer:Always try to check that any part numbers posted herein match as compatible with your VIN. I ordered side windshield mouldings (listed above in this thread as "Garnishes") based off of research from this thread and another here on this forum. After the part numbers listed earlier in this thread showed to be a match for my truck on an online website, I placed my order quickly without comparing against the VIN because I had an appointment to change my windshield approaching.

Upon receiving them it turned out that they were not as long as the trim being replaced and would have stopped about 4 or 5 inches short of the originals(attached with 2 sided tape) in the roof rain channel where they meet the trim coming from the roof rack. Although along the sides of the windshield(rivet holes area) was a perfect match on these shorter trim pieces, I chose not to install them at the time of glass installation and waited to get the correct mouldings in for my 2006 LX470 to have a stock appearance along channel in roof.

Listed below are the part numbers that I used to complete my Windshield(I bought an aftermarket supplied by my glass shop) installation:

75534-60021 Moulding, Windshield (LH)
75533-60031 Moulding, Windshield (RH)
75531-60030 Moulding, Windshield (Top)
75543-60020 Moulding, Windshield x2 (each side requires 1)
89944-50010 Tape, Rain Sensor
87825-60010 Spring, Inner Rear View Mirror (I "reshaped" my spring a few times to cure vibrations and decided to replace it at this time)
90269-04053 Rivet x8 (I ordered extra just in case a couple didn't come out tight enough for my liking and had to redo a few)

If anyone needs to replace their LC windshield I will put the Garnishes(75534-60050 / 75533-60060) in classifieds later along with some other parts necessary for glass installation. PM if interested.

Hope this helps someone else avoid the mistake that I made...

Disclaimer:Always try to check that any part numbers posted herein match as compatible with your VIN. I ordered side windshield mouldings (listed above in this thread as "Garnishes") based off of research from this thread and another here on this forum. After the part numbers listed earlier in this thread showed to be a match for my truck on an online website, I placed my order quickly without comparing against the VIN because I had an appointment to change my windshield approaching.

Upon receiving them it turned out that they were not as long as the trim being replaced and would have stopped about 4 or 5 inches short of the originals(attached with 2 sided tape) in the roof rain channel where they meet the trim coming from the roof rack. Although along the sides of the windshield(rivet holes area) was a perfect match on these shorter trim pieces, I chose not to install them at the time of glass installation and waited to get the correct mouldings in for my 2006 LX470 to have a stock appearance along channel in roof.

Listed below are the part numbers that I used to complete my Windshield(I bought an aftermarket supplied by my glass shop) installation:

87825-60010 Spring, Inner Rear View Mirror (I "reshaped" my spring a few times to cure vibrations and decided to replace it at this time)
90269-04053 Rivet x8 (I ordered extra just in case a couple didn't come out tight enough for my liking and had to redo a few)

If anyone needs to replace their LC windshield I will put the Garnishes(75534-60050 / 75533-60060) in classifieds later along with some other parts necessary for glass installation. PM if interested.

@Flipped Bezel Could you confirm that this part:

Should go on AFTER the rivets are installed, to cover the rivets?

Thank you

@Flipped Bezel Could you confirm that this part:

Should go on AFTER the rivets are installed, to cover the rivets?

Thank you
@jumptrader That is correct. These are the flexible (rubber?) strips that fit into the channels of the mouldings. They are installed after the mouldings are riveted into the A pillar to assist with sealing rivets and wind noise.

20180515_065332.jpg

Last edited:
@jumptrader That is correct. These are the flexible (rubber?) strips that fit into the channels of the mouldings. They are installed after the mouldings are riveted into the A pillar to assist with sealing rivets and wind noise.

View attachment 1701140
Is that the same piece as this one? Mine is super wavy and i think its causing wind noise. If so how easy is it to pull off the old trim cover and replace with new? Thanks guys.

20181230_161623.jpg

Just grab the edge at a corner and pull laterally toward the middle of the windshield. It isn't glued or anything. It just sort of interfaces via a locking channel.

Just went through ordering these parts and more. Your post was very helpful. Found out that when Safelite replaced the window 5 years ago that they took the liberty of drilling 3 new holes in each A-pillar. :bang:

At least my rivet holes appear undamaged. Looks like I will have to weld these holes up, file, prime and paint before I can get my Plinkington glass installed.

Lots of (not so good) surprises are found after trim is pulled in preparation for windshield replacement on these trucks. Mine was not modified but I found an area with moderate rust pitting from a previous install and improper preparation.

Luckily my independent glass man is well versed in these installations and allowed me in the shop to inspect during glass removal. He made sure that I had ordered the proper trim and we had everything needed for the job. I was able to assist him in riveting the new windshield and after viewing the whole process I now understand how tricky these installs can be to get right.

It is certainly much easier to take shortcuts but these can lead to leaking and hard to repair damage down the road.

I changed my windshield in the toyota service, expensive than others but looking for the best work and this strips were installed very bad. They left the rivets loose and with the riveter
they damaged my entire profile

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom