Windshield trim (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone post a picture of the trim on the vertical part on the outside of the windshield? Just had my windshield replaced and it looks like they forgot it and it's really loud now.

jxsr9KY

Is there a piece of trim that's supposed to go there?

It snaps into place, hides the rivets, and obviously reduces wind noise.

FSM calls it and the piece next to it that runs up and over the roof replaceable parts.

4-5 years ago the same thing happened on my '01 LX. I had some 1/4" adhesive-backed black foam...cut strips half an inch wide and installed. No leaks, no noise, no need to drive an hour back and forth from a dealer.

It taught me to question glass guys before they start work. :bang: :doh:

Steve

thanks! called safelite and they are going order the pieces and replace them!
You are welcome.

Are they also planning on replacing the moldings that those you asked about snap into?

Steve

Toyota calls the thick plastic/rubber pieces the garnish, and the thin strips that cover the rivets the moldings. There is also a molding that goes across the top or bottom I don't remember which. The garnishes and side moldings are considered reusable.

I just had my windshield replaced and bought / installed all new moldings and garnishes. I watched them and made sure they installed it per the FSM. I was happy with the install quality but still had some wind noise around the passenger A-pillar. Took it back and they sealed the gap between the garnish and A-pillar body metal with a thin bead of urethane. That seemed to take care of the noise. So something else you can try if installing new side moldings doesn't take care of the noise.

You are welcome.

Are they also planning on replacing the moldings that those you asked about snap into?

Steve

doesn't it snap into the piece i have my finger in? They are coming to take a look at it tomorrow.
It looks like the moldings from the side go all the way up and under the part of the roof bars. I'll update the thread when I get some info tomorrow.

I was happy with the install quality but still had some wind noise around the passenger A-pillar. Took it back and they sealed the gap between the garnish and A-pillar body metal with a thin bead of urethane. That seemed to take care of the noise. So something else you can try if installing new side moldings doesn't take care of the noise.

Where exactly did they put the urethane? Does it require uninstalling the garnish? Garnish is the piece that is attached with the rivets right? I have some wind noise too, if this is something that I can diy, that would be awesome. Safelite say they can fix it by pulling the whole windshield and reinstall, and cost $300.

Where exactly did they put the urethane? Does it require uninstalling the garnish? Garnish is the piece that is attached with the rivets right? I have some wind noise too, if this is something that I can diy, that would be awesome. Safelite say they can fix it by pulling the whole windshield and reinstall, and cost $300.

Yes, garnish is the piece attached with the rivets. They sealed the thin gap between the garnish and the metal of the A- pillar on both sides. I will try to get some pics soon.

yeah if we could get some pics in this thread I think it would help everyone.
Can anyone look at there truck and see if there is a rubber piece that goes from the windshield pillar up to under the roof bar? I think there is supposed to be something there. Look at the second pic where the flap is right under the roof bar.
here is what mine looks like currently

p4mScLl.jpg

1JQbPJu.jpg
xsjAOtW.jpg

Did they put rivets in? You should be able to see them without the trim on. It shouldn't be that loud even with the trim off.

Are these same parts used on the LX?

Part numbers please!

I bought mine this way: snap tabs on the end of the garnishes were broken and garnishes stick up a bit. Makes more wind noise than I'd like. Definitely want it fixed before summer travels.

Part numbers please!

From my 2003 LC, YMMV.

75543-60020 side molding (x2)
75531-60030 top molding
75534-60050 garnish
75533-60060 garnish
90269-04053 rivet (x8)

well safelite replaced the windshield and trim pieces but they cracked the new windshield. Plus there are metal shavings all over the cowl. I'm guessing they drilled into the a-pillar for the rivets? I'm pretty sure you shouldn't have to drill into the a-pillar.

I'm pissed and going to take it toyota now. :bang::bang::bang::bang:

What is the average price to replace the trim above the windshield , in front of the front rack post? Mine seems oldly pieced together with gaps. The previous owner must have had the windshield replaced...

What is the average price to replace the trim above the windshield , in front of the front rack post? Mine seems oldly pieced together with gaps. The previous owner must have had the windshield replaced...

Probably $400 or so in parts. If the a-pillar trim looks mucked up, I'd take it to someone that has replaced many on this model and get their opinion if there is more wrong with it. If you have to remove the trim to fix it, you might find rust, bad riveting, no rivets, wood screws, urethane in the wrong places, etc.

Just had my LX 470 done last week by Safelite with OEM glass/moldings. The aluminum you are seeing is residual from drilling out the old rivets. Based on the difficulty (Need narrow headed rivet gun) of installing and/or drilling those out, I'm guessing that's when they cracked the windshield. I know my guy was paranoid about doing it, while redoing some loose rivets. (Parts prices rounded and are at retail. They and insurance get them at about 25% off.)

Lexus/Toyota OEM Windshield - @ $1190 (Made in Indonesia FWIW)
Flex Molding (Upper piece that covers rain gutter from top down to edge of windshield) - Part 75533-60032, 2 @ $178
-- Reused the molding that covered rivets, but the Flex stuff above gets pretty beat up when being removed...thus the replacement.
Rain Sensor Pad - $20 (Replacement had the fittings attached, but he said new pad was critical to good repair.)
Generic overlapping flex molding for upper edge of windshield - $27
Install Kit - $30 (Misc I suppose. He used aluminum rivets with plastic washers and assorted heated urethane.)
Labor - $124

About $1800 at retail. Online quote with Safelite glass was under $400, but I'm sure that didn't include new moldings.

Hope this helps...

A few photos here... I got so involved with watching him, I forgot to start shooting:
Safelite Windshield Install - Lexus LX 470 - Ralph Mawyer Photography

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom