windshield replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been getting a ton of wind noise around my windshield, I've always suspected it was due to the gasket since it's pretty brittle.

Then we had some pretty heavy rain yesterday and it started dripping onto the passenger side floor mat.

I think I'd like to just replace the whole windshield since it's got a chip and a bajillion little dings from rocks.

I called a shop recommended by my local Toyota dealer and they quoted me $275 to replace it using aftermarket parts.

I asked if I can bring my own gasket (OEM) and they said they'd knock $25 off so $250 + whatever I pay for the gasket. I have a few questions:

1) Any recommendations on where to buy a gasket? What do they cost?

2) Does that price sound pretty reasonable?

3) are there any brands of glass I should really stay away from? Any aftermarket ones that are decent? I don't want to shell out $750 for OEM glass

4) Does anyone have the FSM page on hand that I can print out to show the tech to make sure they install everything correctly?

Thanks!

You'll get a lot of feedback on this...

I recently replaced mine, all aftermarket. So far, so good. Would not hurt to get the OEM gasket. It's nice to be able to see out the window again.

:lol:

Pics frim my phone, hopefully good enough resolution. Make sure they use sealant between the gasket and the glass like the FSM says. Cannot stress that enough. They will resist you. Do not let them. Stand there while they do it if possible.
IMG_3591.PNG
IMG_3592.PNG
IMG_3593.PNG

I've bought my parts from here: OEM Toyota & Scion Parts Online | Toyota Parts Overstock . They're not a mud vendor but they ship fast and the prices are good (there's no really screaming deals for new oem that I've seen). I hit up the beno/onur guy and he's on vacation for a while.

Partsouq.com has low prices on random toyota stuff. Other times they're the same as everyone else. They're in the UAE but actually ship faster than some of the domestic sites.

Safelite did my last windshield with an OEM gasket. I met with the tech before they installed it and verified the factory installation instructions. They were a little sloppy when they glued the gasket down, but it does not leak. For a trail/daily driver, I am little concerned with a little mastic on the paint... two years later, the windshield is trashed with chips and cracks, but does not leak.

By the way.... In Anchorage Alaska, we do not salt the roads...we sand them. Its not whether or not you get a busted windshield, its annual. Since mine is glued in, I'm stretching it to every couple years for replacement.

thanks a lot guys. So it sounds like the most important step (that is different than most installs) is step 2c in the FSM pics? Where you have to put adhesive in the groove where the glass makes contact with the gasket?

I'll do my best to make sure they follow that

I know your location says bay area so this might not help but incase you drop by socal, Alfredo's auto glass in corona, ca did mine. He is very knowledgeable about the FSM installation procedure. He even explained it to me even before I had the chance to bring up the FSM procedure. Mine is all aftermarket and I guess as long as the procedure is followed, it should be fine.

@riffman12 Who did you use? Are you happy with the install? I'm in the market, a stone chip just sent a crack across the glass right at eye level...whoops.

Anyone have a source for the sikaflex or sunstar primer? Or equivalent?

@riffman12 Who did you use? Are you happy with the install? I'm in the market, a stone chip just sent a crack across the glass right at eye level...whoops.

I actually haven't had it done yet. Had too much on my plate.

The company I spoke to was referred to by Dublin Toyota - if you give their service department a call they'll tell you the name. Mention Dub Toyota sent you and you get a discount.

I think they quoted me about $250 if I provide the OEM gasket. $300ish if you want to use theirs (but I don't recommend it)

Adding a bit to this... There are (at least) 5 types of windshields for the 80 series.
1. Clear - no tint at the top.
2. Brown wide tint (bad if you're over 5'6" tall) @ 7" of tint.
3. Brown narrow tint @ 4-5" of tint.
4. Grey wide tint (as above).
5. Grey narrow tint.

The last one I had done, I specified narrow grey tint and they installed a wide brown tinted windshield. The tint line cut right through my vision plane - highly annoying. I forced the issue and they replaced it with the narrow grey tint - which is perfect for me. YMMV.

I'm resisting changing out my windscreen as all the replacement rubbers in Australia don't have the chrome strip filler, you just get a butt-ugly black slab of rubber and I like my chrome moulding.... What do you have available in the US ??????

I'm resisting changing out my windscreen as all the replacement rubbers in Australia don't have the chrome strip filler, you just get a butt-ugly black slab of rubber and I like my chrome moulding.... What do you have available in the US ??????

That was part of the Chrome Package in 97 only, IIRC. Got chrome mirrors and door handles too.

I've been needing to replace mine, the issue with a lot of the glass shops here is the rust I have starting to form around the top of the windshield, and the blank stares when I mention the FSM procedure, and their concern that it's RHD. I believe the windshields for the 80 series are all the same regardless of country of origin?
Toyodiy indicates my particular rigs windshield part # is 56111-60110. The EPC lists several variations of that number. Aside from tinting differences, they all should fit?

2017-09-22 13_58_11-Cowl panel & windshield glass for Toyota Land Cruiser HDJ80R - Auto parts.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom