Windshield replacement questions 2018 460 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Last week a rock chipped/cracked my windshield. before I even finished work for the day it had grown in the Florida heat to a crack top to bottom.

Is there a preferred company/glass to use or ask for replacement on these or one to avoid. Insurance will replace it for me.

I may be over thinking this coming from the fj cruiser world were windshield replacement is more difficult and has costly issues if not done correctly with trim flying off and leaks.

Some time ago I got a chip on my windshield which was able to be fixed with the suction cup and glue method. But when the windshield guy was working on it I asked him about replacements and he said that OEM was like $800.00 and the other brands a couple hundred bucks. Asked why and he stated that OEM, aside from it being Lexus, it is also stronger, harder to chip and crack than the cheaper glass out there.

In short, how often are you in areas that you crack your windshield and how much can you afford??

I believe I read that oem is sound dampened too. There's a ton of conflicting info out there, but I saw enough pics of visible distortion on non oem glass to put me off it. Holding out in replacing mine for now, I have a chip that was filled on the passenger side, but plan to replace with oem when the time comes.

Got my windshield replaced non-oem, out of pocket, which was significantly cheaper. But I kind of regret it... The auto sensing wipers are useless now. I have to use the fast interval settings.

I had initially ordered my windshield through Safelite. They came out to my house twice with defective windshields. The power cable that attached to the bottom of the windshield (for the wiper heating elements) had bad solder joints on both parts, the cables were no longer attached to the glass. I'm guessing if I wasn't there to inspect the glass personally they would have installed it regardless. So I Canceled the order and placed an order the OEM glass through the dealer. Safelite was going to be about $400 to install. The dealer was about $1800 or $1900 to install. My insurance has a $500 deductible, so I was out of pocket an additional $100 for the OEM glass. Once I saw the OEM windshield I knew this was the best route. The cable install to the glass was much better and encased in epoxy, not just exposed cold solder joints. I will always go OEM glass from now on.

My OEM glass majorly cracked from a rock hit about a month or two after I got mine 4.5 years ago. My local windshield guy recommended a Pilkington and apparently many use for OEM. No issues with in that time and has held up well getting nailed by numerous rocks in the mountain passes. I have the windshield wiper heaters as well. I have heard some insurance plans won't cover any necessary sensor calibrations but that is just second hand info. In addition make sure "new trim & clips" are used along the sides of windshield. Many installers will half bake it and try to just glue it on. These are consumables and are meant to be replaced.

Post 50 for reference

My OEM glass majorly cracked from a rock hit about a month or two after I got mine 4.5 years ago. My local windshield guy recommended a Pilkington and apparently many use for OEM. No issues with in that time and has held up well getting nailed by numerous rocks in the mountain passes. I have the windshield wiper heaters as well. I have heard some insurance plans won't cover any necessary sensor calibrations but that is just second hand info. In addition make sure "new trim & clips" are used along the sides of windshield. Many installers will half bake it and try to just glue it on. These are consumables and are meant to be replaced.

Post 50 for reference

Are you saying that the pre2014 Premiums come with windshield wiper heaters? Or was this an Acrad mod? If so,how do they heat, do they heat anytime the wipers startup?

The wiper de-ice option is in the climate control screen on the navigation head unit.
Screen Shot 2021-06-19 at 1.06.51 PM.png

Thank you everyone for the good info
I did not know oem would be in that range. I was thinking oem glass would be much higher like 3/5,000 or something.

It is going through State Farm insurance with 500 deductible
I will push hard for oem when I get time to get the replacement process going.

Unfortunately the closest Lexus dealer is in Mobile AL an hour away from me in Florida. But maybe I could leave it there for a day. I’ve been meaning to get there and buy a case of lexus oil filters to have on hand and take to quick lube places when I go.

Thank you everyone for the good info
I did not know oem would be in that range. I was thinking oem glass would be much higher like 3/5,000 or something.

It is going through State Farm insurance with 500 deductible
I will push hard for oem when I get time to get the replacement process going.

Unfortunately the closest Lexus dealer is in Mobile AL an hour away from me in Florida. But maybe I could leave it there for a day. I’ve been meaning to get there and buy a case of lexus oil filters to have on hand and take to quick lube places when I go.
For myself, I'd just wait for the work to be done than have to travel back and forth and hour each way. Once they start the work It should not take any more than a half an hour to replace the windshield, especially if you have an appointment. Also, at least the Lexus dealers in my neck of the woods are very comfortable for waiting with hot, cold beverages and snacks (and I don't mean just water)!

You can go with State Farm’s mobile preferred installer. I had this done on my previous Toyota and they picked up the dealer glass from the dealer brought it to my house and calibrated everything in the driveway. Definitely push for dealer glass in every conversation you have from claim to install. Fwiw my replacement dealer glass had a small distortion I never noticed in the original one, but it was on the passenger side edge and mostly unnoticeable.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the closest Lexus dealer is in Mobile AL an hour away from me in Florida.
My dealer sent someone to my house to replace the windshield, maybe that's an option with the dealer close to you? Another possibility, call up the local Toyota dealers and see if they can order the Lexus windshield and replace it for you.

My state laws require a $50 deductible in windscreens. Sounds like that’s a state to state thing. If I had to file a normal deductible claim I might just pay out of pocket. My Toyota glass was about $800 according to the installer. That’s before install.

It was finally repaired by safelite today... After a couple canceled appointments and them forgetting about me.
In early September they sent a text an hour before the appointment canceling without reason. After a few phone calls I found they didn’t have it in stock and needed to order one. They are short staffed like the rest of the world myself included so I am a happy camper after everything and no complaints.

I was able to get Lexus glass. I didn’t know it was oem until talking with the installer as he took my keys. I asked and was told probably not possible months back when talking to my insurance guy at the start. I do have a base model so not as much going on electronically as the other models.

F6EA4E06-FA76-4AA5-A8BA-1D1C149B4738.png

Rock broke my Pilkington, so I'm up for replacement through State Farm. Will push for OEM as I have wiper heaters (😂 in AZ). 100 series seemed to be nightmare installs, and required experienced techs to do it, otherwise you ended up with wind noise and water leaks. Are 460's easier than that? Or need to be picky about company and technician?

I'm curious if they will cover OEM after having 3rd party? Wiper heaters are available on 3rd party windshields as well.

IMO: The install is more important than the windshield itself

I have a independent installer I trust replace mine.. he is very OC and is very particular about the seal.

My OEM cracked back in 2017 and replaced with a Pilkington. Spring of 2022 I got another crack but the Pilkingtons were on back order for 3-4 weeks. At that time.. IIRC OEM was delayed for months.

My trusted installer convinced me to use the FUYOA.. no issues with seal, optically, and wiper heaters work fine. I never noticed a difference in noise levels from OEM to Pilkington and now the FUYAO.

img_4250_be86e5395634f7f5cc5ae29a981374c8f0d49eff.jpg

From what I can tell it is made in a US factory.

PSA, the windscreen (windshield) moulldings on each side are super brittle with sun and age and there is a high probability they'll crack or break. CHECK THEM AFTER INSTALLATION!! One of mine cracked and the other broke and I didn't even notice it until last month. The dealer didn't mention it...

Here are the part numbers (same for all years of GX):
75535-60020 (passenger side)
75536-60010 (drivers side)

+1.. I'd recommend the following parts on hand with any GX 460 replacement

[Windshield - Rain Sensor - Gel Pack]
PN: 89944-42010
========================
[Windshield Molding Clips] (10 quantity)
PN: 75545-53011
========================
[Windshield Reveal Molding]
PN: 75535-60020 / Passenger Side
PN: 75536 -60010 / Driver Side
========================

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom