Windsheild glass for a fj55

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Roastchestnuts

TLCA #28675 Salt wagon Fj40
SILVER Star
Joined
Oct 15, 2019
Threads
103
Messages
3,033
Location
Ocracoke island North Carolina
Does anyone have recommendations for windshield services for the fj55? my front windsheild leaks like a strainer and needs a new gasket. The windshield wont survive removal. will places like Safelite replace these? I got a quote from safelite but IDK if I trust that its accurate. Like If I drop it off will it actually get done. Even better if you are in eastern NC and have a recommendation that would be much appreciated.

to further my question is it best left to a professional? I have a 50% success rate with installing windshields and that was with a flat fj40 glass. I failed on my suzuki samurai... IDK on that though. I think the aftermarket frame was too tight. Worth the risk? I have seen the few threads on the 55 windshields and places to get them at least.
 
is the existing glass good? the rubber gasket can be cut with a utility knife and the glass removed from the old gasket
then it is just re-installing with a new gasket

it can be done with a rope and some liquid soap and a helper
 
Maybe a pig guy can let you know if oem is still available… but I do recall seeing a windshield gasket for the 55 when buying one for my 40

Aftermarket at cityracer … my 40 gasket was his aftermarket as well … very pleased with fit
 
Over the years I've had good luck with Safelite replacing OEM windshield and rear window for an Avalanche. They did the windshield at their location because they needed their sensors to ensure everything was working after install. There was a small hicup with the rear window, they broke it when pulling it off the shelf. Since it happened when I was enroute to pick it up they ordered a replacement and delivered it to me at my work. I trust them.
 
is the existing glass good? the rubber gasket can be cut with a utility knife and the glass removed from the old gasket
then it is just re-installing with a new gasket

it can be done with a rope and some liquid soap and a helper
No its cracked and has rock chips. I would just replace the gasket if i could
Maybe a pig guy can let you know if oem is still available… but I do recall seeing a windshield gasket for the 55 when buying one for my 40

Aftermarket at cityracer … my 40 gasket was his aftermarket as well … very pleased with fit
yeah City racer sells them and a few other places.
 
Back
Top Bottom