Winch options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my Slee shortbus bumper and was wondering if anyone has fit the new Warn Zeon 10 in there? I know it can fit the 9.5xp and the Zeon is only about an inch bigger all around so it shouldn't be an issue, just don't wana order a winch that won't fit.
Thanks guys

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1423062612.540954.jpg
It's not a good photo and I now have a superwinch instead of the old xd9000, but most anything will fit if you're willing to cut the bottom of the grill out..

On the ARB and similar "roomy" bumpers, you can space the winch back some if it's too long or too fat to get clearance at the ends where most bumpers start to sweep back towards the side of the truck. Not sure there's room for that with the Short Bus. If you're willing to cut, as rubicondon says, you may be cool. Otherwise, I'd call Slee, who'll be more than happy to answer such questions exactly.

Just figured I'd see if you found your answer? I am looking at replacing an old Warn in my Shortbus with a new one and I'm looking at the same 2 winches. What did you end up with and did you hear what all would fit in there?

Just got my Slee shortbus bumper and was wondering if anyone has fit the new Warn Zeon 10 in there? I know it can fit the 9.5xp and the Zeon is only about an inch bigger all around so it shouldn't be an issue, just don't wana order a winch that won't fit.
Thanks guys

Not that this was an option by the OP but just case someone else happens in this thread, the HF 12k fits in the Slee bumper just fine. Relocated the cheap, s***ty solenoid to the battery tray by lengethening the cables.

You should also take a look at the COMEUP Gen2 SEAL winches. I have the SEAL 9.5s in my ARB bumper and it's a great fit and a fantastic high-quality winch. I believe SLEE is carrying these now too. My bumper is slightly modified but the winch will fit unmodified ones fine. The only note would be that you might need to clock the motor for feet forward mounting.

For all the crap the Harbor Freight winches got, I ran one on my TJ for a few years with zero issues. It was a very reliable winch and was used many times and will fit your bumper.

For all the crap the Harbor Freight winches got, I ran one on my TJ for a few years with zero issues. It was a very reliable winch and was used many times and will fit your bumper.

I agree. It works, I'm not doubting that. But man there are soooo many corners cut that its embarrassing. The Smittybilt uses the same box but is much better designed and pro-looking/feeling. But I hate Smitty**** too so I can't win :meh:

3ft isn't long enough unless its just being mounted to the bumper elsewhere. If its going under the hood at all then it needs to be 5-6ft. Just went thru this.
I don't recall, but thought you said you made your own cables? If so perhaps a donation to Wits' end for some to be made for my relocate??

/hijack

I don't recall, but thought you said you made your own cables? If so perhaps a donation to Wits' end for some to be made for my relocate??

/hijack

Er well I did make them for Gil. Was no big deal. But it depends what they go into. If its into the HF box then they need the Heyco plugs first before the whole cable is assembled. I would need to see the cable ends you have now and what the length is needed but if you order the stuff I'll make it for you. No donation needed, its easy stuff.

Last edited:
I bought some 5' marine battery cables off of Amazon. I think they were only like $20 each. Best price I could find.

You could also use some welding lead from your local welders supply. The stuff is cheap, rated up to 600V (depending on size of cable) and the outer layer won't crack or melt. Just my 2cents

Slightly off topic. But what are people using for a "relocate" kit. Making your own cables? kit? something like this?:http://www.zoro.com/superwinch-winc...QNlnZNaXUGL3KF3H4s226RoCkRfw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

or?
I bought a pair of 14 foot jumper cables from Home Depot and relocated my solenoid. With the military discount and a Lowe's coupon I paid $11 dollars. Relocated to in front of drivers side battery. Next is to add the wireless component so that I don't have to plug-in under the hood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom