Winch kill switch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am installing a Warn VR EVO 12-S winch in my 1994 HDJ 80.

I think the safety of the winch against unintended (or unauthorized) manipulation would be increased by a ‘kill switch’. I know people install a heavy-duty solenoid in the high current supply cable, but I am concerned about the voltage drop it may cause. My preferred alternative would be a remote, relay-operated switch in one of the thin cables within the control box of the winch. This way, the winch would only be operational when the relay is activated from inside the cabin.

I guess the target thin cable could be the red one that is fastened to the same terminal as the big red one (B+) in the control box. However, I have not been able to see a wiring diagram of this winch. Help to this respect, as well as any advice on the explained plan, would be much appreciated.

20210926_190426_resized.jpg

20210926_190409_resized.jpg

My preferred alternative would be a remote, relay-operated switch in one of the thin cables within the control box of the winch. This way, the winch would only be operational when the relay is activated from inside the cabin.

^^^^

This would work to prevent unauthorized use, but won't help you if you have a 'run away' which is what most folks are concerned with. Voltage drop across/through a 'good' disconnect would be so minimal as to be inconsequential.

Last edited:
install an Anderson plug at the grill /bumper.
1. you can plug/unplug the winch as needed, ( i.e solenoid gets stuck during use and you need to cut power quickly).
2. modify your jumper cables to plug into it as well when needed. no more need to open the hood.

Amazon product ASIN B0897SLFVN

Just mount your relay box in the engine compartment or somewhere that someone can’t get into without significant work or access into the cab (hood release).

The cables downstream of the relay box are dead anyways.

Blue Sea two position mini dial switch, which interrupts the power/red/positive cable between the battery and the winch is my solution. I actually just used a four position switch, as you would in a dual battery system, because the cost increase was like two bucks over the two position switch. It would allow me to power the winch from both batteries simultaneously if I wanted to, and if I had two batteries.

install an Anderson plug at the grill /bumper.
1. you can plug/unplug the winch as needed, ( i.e solenoid gets stuck during use and you need to cut power quickly).
2. modify your jumper cables to plug into it as well when needed. no more need to open the hood.

Amazon product ASIN B0897SLFVN
Then you could only use those jumper cables on that one vehicle? That doesn't seem like the best idea to me, but that's just my opinion. What if someone else needs the cables, or you want to let a friend borrow them, etc.? It seems like cutting off the clamps on a set of jumper cables takes them from being a very flexible and modular piece of gear to being able to be used for only one purpose and for only one vehicle. Just my two cents, but I'm also cheap and maybe that's fogging up my imagination.

Well I just bought one of those for my dual battery setup but I'm not done installing it. Can't really comment as of yet.

Just buy an extra set of Anderson clips and put them on the end of the jumper cable you cut off so that way you can put them back together if you want to make them whole again.

Or think of it the cheap way nobody's going to walk off with your jumper cables because they won't be able to use them without your cruiser

Thank you guys for such amazing bunch of ideas. I think the KISS approach of leaving the positive lead unhooked is hard to beat, but the Anderson connectors deserve some consideration for other purposes (not for the winch, which draws up to 396 A).

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom